Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip Report – a OneWorld DONE4 on QF, CX, JL, BA and AA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report – a OneWorld DONE4 on QF, CX, JL, BA and AA.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the report!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
26 January 2009, 7:25
SFO-DFW
MD 80
AA 1306
Seats: 3 EF
Pushback: 7:31
Roll: 45 seconds
Take off: 7:51

Food: choice of Denver omelette or pancakes, served with fruit salad and hot bagel with jam.

We arrived at the airport early and cleared security easily – it’s much less painful than security at LHR!

Into the AC where there was crackers and mini orange and poppy-seed muffins on offer. Mr Falconea was told that there was no wireless internet and pointed to the two PCs. We found some power points and settled down to write up more of our travel diaries. The news was the usual depressing job cuts, and also a weather warning for ice storms especially around Dallas.

We left the AC 35 minutes before boarding and were the first to board.

Boarding was rather a joke, with the amount of hand luggage people were bringing on board. I object to having my coat taken from me when it fits in the overhead above my seat as does our other reasonably sized bags (we’re in bulkhead so no under seat storage). Mr Falconea had to dash back and find his coat because he remembered that he’d left his phone on in one of the pockets.

The flight was fairly noisy and bumpy, mostly over thick cloud cover. Service commenced soon after take-off – orders were taken following FEBO, then drinks, then the meal on a tray served direct from the galley. Just as we’d finished our mains a basket of hot bagels was passed around.

After the meal service hot towels were handed out and drinks were on offer for the remainder of the flight.

The seats are comfortable and legroom in the bulkhead fine in the EF side. I’d much rather the bulkhead than have someone recline into me.

Landed early in Dallas and arrived at the gate on time – we headed straight to the AC.

26 January 2009, 16:25
DFW-BWI
MD 80
AA 1298
Seats: 3 EF
Pushback: 17:31
Roll: 34 seconds
Take off: 17:54

Food: choice of chicken with sweet potato or pasta with tomato sauce and cheese

We left the AC about 45 minutes before boarding and went to the gate and waited. Eventually, some people started coming out – obviously the inbound had just arrived. (The boards still showed on-time departure, however!) It took ages for the passengers to come off, then boarding started. We boarded, got as far as the door of the aircraft then the captain shouted for us all to go back because he was taking the plane out of service. So back out again, Mr Falconea stopping to grab the flight coupons that had been collected on boarding. Passengers all milled around the gate area waiting for information as to what was going on and eventually we were told to go to another gate, where a flight to Oaklahoma had just been cancelled and the pax from that flight had already mobbed the desk at the new gate. Many pax for BWI got into line thinking that they needed to, but eventually the gate agent made an announcement that pax for BWI didn’t need to, only those who needed to re-book connections. Everyone was nervous, given that the ice storm warning was applicable from 6 pm. We were eventually permitted to board.

During boarding Mr Falconea asked the captain what the fault was with the previous plane and was told that there was a problem with the de-icing equipment – given the weather forecast we entirely approved of not using the aircraft!

On board (the FAs a little flustered – they obviously didn’t know that the pax were coming and were busy charging an iPod at our seat!) coats were taken, no pre-departure drink, and we took off in almost darkness. (A shame, I like sunset flights and was hoping for one this flight.) Meal orders were taken, drinks and warm nuts served, then hot towels, followed by the meal, of salad, a carrot cake or similar, and the main which was quite nice. (I didn’t touch the rest.)

Landed late in BWI and headed for the luggage carousel, where luggage emerged after a short wait, all 4 of ours with them.

One of our bags had been opened by the TSA – the cable tie was different and the address label that had been attached to the cable tie had been put on the new cable tie so whoever did it was thoughtful. (No, that isn’t the only address label on the luggage!) The only item disturbed inside was the picnic set, consisting of several sets of cutlery and a couple of sharp kitchen knives.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Sorry all, another inadequate addition to this TR.

30 January 2009 6:00
DCA-DFW
737-800
AA 1107
Seats: 3 AC
Pushback: 5:59
Roll: 34 seconds
Take off: don’t remember!

Seats are fine on the 737, and we had no issues with the bulkhead. No orders were taken for the meal; the trolley was taken to the back and the food served direct. I was amazed that we still had a choice between cereal and omelette!

A movie was shown. I snoozed for most of the flight.

30 January 2009 10:10
DFW-SEA
737-800
AA 529
Seats: 3 AC
Pushback: 10:11
Roll: 45 seconds
Take off: don’t remember!

We had the same aircraft and gate as before.

The roll immediately felt slow – we saw the plane being fuelled and I assume that it was filled up to the brim?

The snack service consisted of a salad and a pizza (no choice) and a chocolate chip cookie, served from the rear forward – it was a reasonable meal.

Entertainment consisted of 2 movies, one the same as the previous flight.

Bags came out in random order, two of them were missing their cable ties but no love letters from the TSA were included.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by falconea
amenity kits were handed out after take-off, (the amenity kit in a lovely zippered pouch which will come in handy for holding saucer sized plates. But why is it sealed with a plastic thing (used normally to attach price tags to clothes and soft items) like that? I nearly damaged the zip getting into it.)
Interesting and enjoyable trip report. ^

The plastic seal tag on the amenity kit is to let you know the kit has not been opened and used before you get it.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:52 am

Thanks for some interesting comprehensive reports.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

A quick gloat!

Just checked in for JFK-SYD and got handed boarding passes for 3E and 3F.

The mythical QF upgrade, and what a perfect flight to get it on!

Hopefully writing in comfort will improve my TR!

Audrey
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

2 February 2009 7:50
SEA-JFK
AA 268
Seats: 1 AC
Sorry, I’ve lost my notes on takeoff details.

Menu:

Brunch
Main Course: Breakfast Skillet
Scrambled egg with cream cheese and chives served with apple smoked bacon, diced potato hash and boursin sauce

An American Classics item

Seasonal fruit appetiser

Or
Cereal and Fruit with Yogurt
Served with a banana and fresh seasonal berries

Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board, OtisSpunkmeyer cookies

Pre-Arrival Beverage
For your enjoyment: Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish

We boarded early as usual, pleased to be boarding via Door 2 and getting that pretend feeling of turning left. The seat was a shock; very old, uncomfortable, and very close to the bulkhead. There is also a window missing just in front of the bulkhead so while I could see out Mr Falconea couldn’t see out well.

The meal was served after take off and was quite nice and ridiculously rich - about 6 hours later I had a case of the urgent runs, for the only time in a trip lasting more than 3 months.

The flight was not particularly comfortable or enjoyable, and we were glad that this is our last AA flight.

Bags took ages to come out. Does AA even bother to mark them as priority in any way?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report falconea.

Nice work on the u/g. I am looking forward to hearing about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.