Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD-JFK-FRA-SIN-LHR-IAD SQ/UA F (SIN Do 09)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent

This is my first trip report. I apologize for the lack of pictures; I don’t own a digital camera as I don’t want to travel through a set of lens. Well, that and I don’t want to perpetuate the Asian stereotype But let’s get started!

I recently had the opportunity to attend my first annual 2008 SIN DO. Not having the funds to purchase a ticket on UA due to another hobby that’s been running me $10-15K/year, I turned to my United MP account (if only I managed my savings account as diligently as my FF account!) about 8 months prior to the DO.

Surprisingly, I was able to book IAD-FRA-SIN and back via LH F without a hitch despite United’s infamous StarNet blocking. The downside was that the outbound layover in FRA was going to be 15 hours. SQ25 was not showing availability on the ANA tool, so I booked a day rate at the Sheraton FRA for 154 Euros.

In January, I started looking for a more optimal routing. I also realized that due to the Obama inauguration, all highways within the 495 Beltway in Northern Virginia were going to be shut down. That would impact me as I take I-395 to and from work. I could take local roads, but they’re almost all two lane roads, so the commute would take me forever due to traffic.

So I decided to extend my trip and get out of town while the Obama worshippers flocked to DC to attend the coronation of their Messiah (okay, no more sarcastic political comments from here out). My original return flight was on inauguration day on LH ex-FRA. I was seated three rows behind the cockpit on a 747 flying into DC, landing around 4pm. Hmm…maybe not the best of ideas. Another impetus to extend my trip; plus, I-395 would still be closed.

So it was time to start tweaking my trip. Knowing that extra award inventory will pop up closer to the date of travel, I did ANA searches twice a day. I saw that SQ308 (SIN-LHR) in F was available. I figured a two day stopover in my favorite city was in order until the madness in DC subsided and called UA to change my return routing. The UA CSR said that flight was not available. What I expected. So I called again. Same thing. This time, I asked if she would be able to request the seat manually. “Oh, it came back as available”. Score! An agent that did a manual sell! The downside to this change, was that I’d have to take UA back to IAD on a 777. Still F, but nothing compared to LH or SQ or ANA or…well, you get my drift.

Time to change my outbound. The weekend before my trip started, I saw that F on SQ25 (FRA-SIN) became available. Time to outwile StarNet again. I was shot down 6 times in a row by Reservations. Interestingly enough, one UA agent was willing to do a manual sell, but it doesn’t come back as available (I forgot the code he gave me). The 7th time, an agent was more proactive and said that she could see F on SQ25 from JFK-FRA-SIN, but not FRA-SIN. It seems that those two segments may be married - similar to LAX-NRT-SIN. I’d have to take UAX up to JFK from IAD, but no big deal. Ticketed and all ready to go! Plus, I’d save $215 by not staying at the FRA Sheraton (my routing through LHR raised my taxes by $100, but I still came out ahead).

Then I saw that I was booked on Mesa airlines, as the only passenger on a 2:11pm flight. That didn’t bode well, especially after reading several FT posts on Mesa. So I called up UA again and requested an earlier UX flight on Chautauqua Airlines, getting me into JFK about an hour earlier than before. I figured that would give me more than ample time in case of any irregular ops.

1/14/09 UA7808 IAD-JFK (operated by Chautauqua Airlines) 12:36pm – 1:50pm

Day of travel! I checked in online for my UX flight. I had one bag to check, and one carry-on. As a precaution, I decided to take both bags with me through security and gate check them, rather than to check one bag all the way through. The flight was about 2/3 full. Our plane was delayed for an hour and a half due to a late incoming flight from Columbus. As our flight left out of A6, I hung out at Five Guys Burgers while tracking the incoming Columbus flight on FlightAware. What an awesome website!

1/14/09 SQ25 JFK-FRA 9:00pm – 10:50am (+1)

Having arrived from IAD at 3pm, I took the AirTrain to Terminal 4 and hung out in the shopping area until the Singapore check-in counter opened at 5pm. It was an interesting collection of stores, and between catching up on some reading, surfing the web on my laptop with a broadband card, time flew by.

When 5pm rolled around, I checked in with SQ and was directed to the Virgin Clubhouse. It was to be my home for the next 3 hours. The first thing I saw when I entered was this giant polished metal apple. The caption read “reflections of a jetsetter(?)”. I saw a tired guy holding a duffel. At least the reflection wasn’t like one of those carnival mirrors that make you look fat!

The Virgin Clubhouse wasn’t too shabby. They piped in hip/popular music and had a good menu to order from. Knowing that I had a feast aboard my SQ flight, I opted for a shrimp skewer plate that came with an Asian-type salad. It really hit the spot. Then I started surfing the web. While reading FT, I saw that Rolov was posting on the SIN DO thread, wishing us the best, as he was on his way to a mini BRU Do and was in the VS Lounge at the moment. Hey, that’s where I was! I PM’d Rolov saying that I was in the lounge as well, and gave him my description and invited him to find me if he was so inclined. A few minutes later, he approached me and we had a nice chat. If I could only meet girls that easily

Rolov and I parted ways, and it was time to clear security and board my flight! When I got to the security lane, it was packed with travelers and friends/family sending them off. I had to fight the crowd to the Clear Lane, and was immediately told to go to the other line before seeing my Clear card. “Oh! Follow me sir”. I guess they don’t get many Clear members.

I boarded my flight and was promptly seated in 4A with a glass of Krug. The usual SQ amenities were passed out. I never thought I’d be sitting in SQ F again this soon, and it was just the way I remembered it from my last trip two years ago (LAX-NRT-LAX). The dinner menu was as follows:

Appetisers
Chilled malossol caviar

Anti pasto
Procuitto duck with fig compote, seared “blackened” ahi tuna with wasabi cream and lobster with avocado salsa

Soups
Cream of cauliflower with crouton and chive

Oriental clear broth with mushrooms, tofu, and carrot

Salad
Wedge salad of iceberg with roasted pea, semi dried cherry, hazelnut and gorgonzola cheese
Balsamic and virgin olive oil dressing / Ranch dressing

Main Courses
Ribbon-shaped pasta with shredded veal shank, sautéed vegetables and fontina cheese

Five spice flavoured roast chicken served with chili sauce, seasonal vegetables, and chicken flavoured rice

Grilled striped bass served with stewed bean, bacon and vegetables, buttered potato

Indian style lamb shank korma with pea, carrot, spinach, and basmati rice

Warm four cheeses quiche served with mixed baby lettuces, roasted cherry tomato and balsamic dressing

Desserts

Passionfruit cake garnished with fresh raspberries

Cheeses
Assorted gourmet cheeses served with grapes, dried cranberry, walnut and biscuit

Fruits
Fresh fruits of the season

Finale
A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas served with pralines

Preferring BTC over the menu, I ordered the shrimp and scallops for the main. It wasn’t what I expected. The FA said that it wasn’t what he was expecting either, and could only describe it as some sort of Asian fusion. The shrimp and scallops were seared nicely (3 of each) with some sort of pale tomato sauce covering them. The whole setup was on a bed of Japanese noodles. It was good, but I could have done without the tomato sauce.

Before and after the meal service, I watched Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist and part of X-Files 2. While watching the movies, I think I was a little too relaxed (or addled, depending on how you look at it) and accidentally knocked over my glass of Krug. Fortunately, it was almost empty and only a few drops were wasted. Considering the rest of the cabin was asleep and it was dark, I was quite surprised that the flight attendant heard the chink of the glass, as she was at my side with a towel within seconds! Now that’s your typical Singapore Airlines service! I was asked if I wanted a new glass of Krug, and I sheepishly said yes...but just a little. After watching my movies, I reclined my seat into the bed and took a short two hour nap.

Breakfast consisted of a light continental breakfast. Good thing, as I was still stuffed from the previous meal!

To Start With

A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

Fruit

A selection of fresh fruit

From the bakery

Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter, jam, marmalade or honey

Finale
A selection of gourmet coffees & teas

The flight landed one hour early, and as a result, we were parked at the remote stand and had to be bussed in.

1/15/09 SQ25 FRA-SIN 12:00pm – 6:55am (+1)

Once I got off the bus, I headed to the LH *A Lounge and brushed my teeth. I headed straight back out to walk about the Duty Free stores in a vain attempt to to burn off some calories from my previous flight.

Boarding commenced on time, and we were bussed back to our original plane. I was in 4A again (with a glass of Krug, of course), and picked up another batch of SQ amenity goodies. Prior to lunch, I finished off X-Files 2. The lunch menu consisted of:

Canapes
Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetisers

Chilled malossol caviar
With melba toast and condiments

Lobster salpicon with brunoise of vegetables

Soups

Cream of chanterelle mushroom and ceps with chicken

Hot and Sour Soup
Szechuan style mild spicy and sour soup garnished with shrimps, shredded chicken, beancurd, and vegetables

Salad

Caesar Salad
Romaine lettuce with bacon, Parmesan cheese, croutons and anchovy-garlic dressing

Main Courses
Forest style chicken supreme in portwine sauce with wild mushroom and gratin potatoes

Stir fried beef with ginger and spring onion, selected vegetables and fried rice

Thai style fried snapper fillet served with green mango salad and steamed rice

Ragout of wild deer, poached red wine-pear and cranberry jelly, savoy cabbage with bacon ragout, bread dumplings

Fettucine with creamy assorted mushroom ragout, argula lettuce and shaved Parmesan cheese

Desserts

White chocolate and passion fruits cremeux

Blood orange sorbet with cherry compote

Cheeses

Selection of cheeses served with grapes, nuts, and cracker

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

Finale

Once again, I booked the cook. Lobster Thermidor! Woot! After the Lobster, I was so stuffed that I passed on dessert. I took a sleeping pill and got 6 hours of solid sleep. When I woke up, I was a tad hungry, and asked if the orange sorbet was still available from lunch. The flight attendant said yes, and asked for some time to prepare it as it was a little too frozen at the moment. It was brought out 5 minutes later and was excellent! Other “light bites” consisted of:

Noodles

Fish ball noodle soup

Vermicelli or flat rice noodles in broth served with fish balls and fish cakes

Sandwiches

Bratwurst sausage and pretzel

Bagel with cream cheese, semi sun dried tomato and rucola

Snacks

Cashew, almond or macadamia nuts

Potato chips

Chocolate bar

Cereal bar

Assorted Walkers biscuit

A selection from the bruit basket

Assorted cheeses with garnishes

For Breakfast, the menu consisted of:

To Start With

A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

Fruits

Choice of cereals or yoghurt

Cornflakes with milk or Birchermuesli

Plain or fruit yoghurt

Wholesome Beginnings

Wanton mee
Egg noodles in rich pork broth garnished with shrimp dumplings and leafy greens

Glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf with chicken, chestnut and black mushrooms

German breakfast
Cold cuts, cheese and fresh eggs prepared on-board

Fresh free range eggs prepared on-board (baked or scrambled)
With your choice of bacon, chicken sausage, vine-ripened tomato and mushrooms

From the bakery

Assorted breakfast pastries and bread with butter, jam, marmalade or honey

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas

I had the fruit, Birchermuesli, and the Wanton Mee. Just the right amount of food. And before I knew it, we had landed on time in SIN! The 20 hours of travel from JFK was quite painless and enjoyable. I walked off that plane completely refreshed (and still quite full). After a speedy immigration check and a brief wait for my luggage, I was out the door and checked into the Conrad in no time. My first stop was the gym, where I ran 3 miles. I probably needed quadruple that to work off all the calories I ate since I left home, but I had to head over to the Novotel to meet up with the Batam folks.

Batam was interesting. It was cool to see all the cargo ships, but the town itself wasn’t that interesting. Yes, it’s third world Asia, but I already knew what to expect. The womenfolk ran off to some mall as soon as we disembarked. I heard that they had a better time than us guys. Anyway, a group of us left early and I went to the Newton Hawker Center for dinner.

The next day, I wandered around town. I hit up the Sultan Mosque and the Buddha Temple of a thousand lights (it was a bit of a letdown as none of the lights were turned on). I also wandered around several wet and dry markets. Surprisingly, I got to speak a fair amount of Mandarin there. Before I knew it, it was time to meet up with the Conrad-ites for evening drinks in the Executive Lounge before heading off to Jumbo. I got my table’s permission to pay the bill using my credit card, as I needed more Singapore Dollars. Really! I swear it wasn’t for the Starwood points!

On Sunday, I headed out to the Singapore Discovery Center. It was nice to take the metro outside the city, to see what else was out there, which was nothing but a LOT of high rise apartment buildings. It took about 40 minutes to reach the Discovery Center, where I had to take a 15 minute bus ride to the Center. The Discovery Center is located on a SAFTI (military) training base for officers. There was a small army museum documenting the beginning of Singapore’s armed forces. Afterwards, I took a guided bus tour around the SAFTI facility. It was pretty interesting – kind of like a military university. Back at the Discovery Center, I checked out one of it’s highlights – a shooting range utilizing real weapons. They didn’t employ real bullets, of course, but the weapons were modified with a pneumatic bolt system to simulate recoil. You shot at this projected screen. It was a slow day, so the instructor tried to go into great detail into the weapons – a Sig 226, M-16, and a copy of the Steyr Aug. However, he quickly stopped when he saw me check out the weapons. Let’s just say I have at least one example of each weapon system. The simulation was simple enough, and when the results came back, I had a 100% hit/kill ratio.

After I finished saving Singapore from an invading enemy force, I headed back downtown and wandered about Orchard Road. Then I met back up at the Conrad. I opted not to attend the dinner in Chinatown, as I get enough Chinese food as it is. So I met up with some like-minded FT’ers and headed back to the Newton Hawker Center for some excellent satay, noodles, Tiger beer, and stingray (which wasn’t for me).

Anyway, I had a blast at the SIN Do. I saw a bunch of old friends, and met new ones. I think I have an annual tradition now!

1/19/09 SQ308 SIN-LHR 9:05am – 3:05pm

Check-in at SIN was efficient as always. Especially flying SQ. I was dropped off at the SQ First Class area and was promptly issued my boarding pass. I made it into the transit terminal in about 5 minutes! The SQ F Lounge wasn’t too shabby. It can’t compare with LH’s FCT, but it had a decent selection of food and made to order omelettes. I just grabbed a Diet Coke and checked up on my email. 30 minutes prior to my flight, I wandered about the Duty Free Stores. The prices weren’t too bad. I found a bottle of Krug champagne for $160. I thought that was a pretty good price. I was extremely tempted, but as I’m single, it’s tough to drink a bottle of wine by myself. I figured I’d have enough on my upcoming flight anyway (Added: Duty Free in LHR is selling Krug for $133 a bottle! Plus they have half-bottles - I’ve got 3 in my carry-on right now) I also saw a Montblanc pen that I’ve been eyeing for the past few months. It was $765 versus $910 in the States. Not a bad buy either (Added: $636 in London – who would have thought things would be cheaper in London?), but I’ve been spending too much money lately and exercised some rare fiscal restraint.

Including me, there were only 4 passengers in F. Service was the best I’ve ever had in SQ F. A lot of people say that the FA’s are robotic, but the one I had was quite chatty and well-versed in small talk. We talked a lot about food in Singapore, my experiences on other carriers compared to SQ F, and my travel in general. The FA asked me to describe United’s service in F and was couldn’t believe it was that bad. She said that she heard it was bad, but thought that people were exaggerating. I explained that differences in service can be cultural related (I didn’t bring up unions), and the food was just simple cost-cutting. Getting back to Singaporean food, I told her that I frequented the Newton Hawker Center, and she said that she and her friends found it to be more tourist oriented and there were better and cheaper options around. She even gave me her phone number and email address and told me to contact me next time I’d be in SIN, and she would give me some suggestions on where to eat!

Prior to leaving the Conrad, I ate a substantial breakfast. But I for some strange reason, I was still a bit peckish when it was time to be served breakfast. The menu was as follows:

To Start With

A choice of apple, tomato, or freshly squeezed orange juice

Fruits

Fresh Fruit Plate

Starters

Choice of cereals or yoghurt

Cornflakes with milk or Birchermuesli

Plain or fruit yoghurt

Wholesome Beginnings

Wanton Mee
Egg noodles in rich pork broth garnished with shrimp dumplings and leafy greens

Gratinated chicken and cepe mushroom ragout crepes served with vine ripened tomato and buttered asparagus

Singapore Nasi Lemak
Malay style coconut rice with spicy prawns, peanuts, ikan bilis, grilled fish cake, egg omelette and fried chicken (a local favorite served with sambal chili)

Fresh eggs prepared on board (Baked, boiled or scrambled)
With choice of bacon or chicken sausage, vine-ripened cherry tomato and mushrooms

From the Bakery

Assorted breakfast pastries and bread with butter, jam, marmalade or honey

Finale

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas

I opted for the Nasi Lemak, which the flight attendant thoroughly approved of. She said that it was a dish that Singaporeans ate for any meal of the day. Meal portions are typically just right, but this dish was huge! The plate was absolutely packed! After that ginormous breakfast, I slept for 4 hours to sync up with London time. I couldn’t believe I was still hungry when I woke up, and ordered a hot pastrami sandwich. Other snacks consisted of:

Noodles

Fish ball noodle soup
Vermicelli or flat rice noodles in broth served with fish balls and fish cakes

Prawn Noodle Soup
Noodles in broth served with prawn and fish cake

Vegetarian and non vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches

Beef pastrami with garlic focaccia sandwich

Tuna mayonnaise with onion ciabatta

Roasted portobello mushroom with plain ciabatta

Snacks

Cashew, almond or macadamia nuts

Chocolate Bar

Assorted biscuits

Potato Chips

A selection from the fruit basket

Assorted Walkers biscuit

That bided me over until lunch, which consisted of:

Canapes

Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetisers

Chilled malossol caviar
With melba toast and condiments

Salad of lobster with rocket leaves and seaweed
Soya dressing

Soups

Chicken consumme with mushroom ravioli

Oriental minced beef and spinach soup

Salad

Salad of red oak, frisee, coral lettuces garnished with endive, toasted walnet and dried cranberry

Hazelnut vinaigrette / Singapore dressing infused in shallot oil with sambal, lime, and honey

Main Courses
Wok-fried beef in black pepper sauce with garlic, French bean with dried shrimps in XO sauce, fish noodle with bean sprout

Pan fried pancetta wrapped black cod served with light mustard sauce, artichoke puree, roasted baby carrots

Famous Singapore Chicken Rice
Fragrant poached chicken with pandan flavoured rice, served with ginger, soya and chili sauce
A renowned favourite in Singapore

Roasted herb crusted lam chops served with pommery mustard sauce, roasted vegetables and gratin potato.

Italian style cold penne pasta with roasted vegetables, pinenuts, olives and rocket pesto

Desserts

Baked fruit filo parcel with vanilla ice cream and fruit coulis

Cheeses

Selection of kapiti aged cheddar, Tasmanian heritage double brie, rambol walnut and chaumes cheeses served with garnishes

Fruits

Fresh fruits in season

Finale

After watching another two movies (Babylon AD and City of Ember), we touched down in London Town about an hour early.

I usually stay at the Hilton Paddington, but each time I go there, I’m fed up with the apathetic and incompetent staff. So I decided to try somewhere new and more central, and booked the Hilton Park Lane. It wasn’t too shabby. The gym was nice, as well as the Executive Lounge. I was disappointed that the Lounge only had a continental breakfast in the mornings, but it was enough for my needs. The weird thing about the bathroom in my room was that the shower stall didn’t have a door. As a result, water got splashed all over the place. It was pretty ridiculous.

This was my fourth trip to London, and there are still things that I haven’t done/seen yet. This time, I headed over to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich and straddled the Prime Meridian. A bit corny, but it was quite interesting. Afterwards, I browsed some shops (i.e. got lost in Harrod’s), and met up with some friends.

Before I knew it, it was the day to head back home. I was hoping to stop by the National Museum to see a watch and clock collection, but I overslept and opted to go for a run around Hyde Park. It was supposed to be 4.5 miles, but due to a wrong turn and resultant backtracking, I think I clocked in 6 miles. After a quick breakfast and shower, I stopped by a friend’s house in Osterley (off the Piccadilly line, on the way to Heathrow), where his mother cooked me a delicious lunch of Hungarian food.

1/21/09 UA825 LHR-IAD 4:25pm – 7:48pm

Check-in was fast in Terminal 1. The First Class check in had this little lounge area where you could check in. I suppose it’s a nod to other foreign first class check in facilities. The Fast Track security area was right around the corner and I was through in no time. I browsed the Duty Free stores, picked up three half-bottles of Krug (queue Angel music: “Ahhhh”) for $66/each. Interestingly enough, if you purchased two half-bottles, you’d save $3 over buying a full sized bottle. Anyway, I headed to the Star Alliance Lounge. I was directed to the FC portion, which was rather empty. There was a selection of sandwiches, hot fried food, soft drinks, and self-serve hard liquor. I grabbed a Diet Coke and spent a few minutes surfing the web using the Lounge’s free wi-fi.

Boarding started on time. Prior to the flight door closing, somebody with a walkie talkie came onboard and asked me and two other people how I liked the ground services and the new Lounge. She was quite pleasant, and her visit was a bit of a surprise. I think I set the bar too low sometimes when it comes to United. We had two flight attendants. One worked in the back, while the one serving us 10 passengers was extremely friendly and efficient. She was hard working, but United really should have another FA in First Class. Dinner consisted of:

Appetizer

Chicken quesadilla with chili dressing

Soup

Roasted plum tomato and basil soup

Salad

Fresh seasonal green with cucumber, red and yellow peppers and croutons
Creamy Peppercorn / Balsamic Vinaigrette

Main Course
Grilled filet mignon with Bordelaise and cepe mushroom sauce
Garlic and chive mashed potatoes with swede, turnip and green beans

Beijing-style seared halibut with lobster sauce
Oven-roasted three potato hash with zucchini, carrot and yellow peppers

Goa-style chicken with lemon rice
Potatoes with yogurt and okra with spring onions

Vegetable lasagna Provencale
Roasted garlic tomato sauce

Dessert

Haagen-Dazs ice cream with sundae toppings

Cheese selection served with red grapes and crackers
Cashel Blue
Coastal Chedder
Capricorn Goat

While the food wasn’t as good as SQ, it was pretty decent nevertheless. I find catering ex-USA to be horrible, and the food is always markedly better coming from other countries. I always look forward to Tea Service on flights ex-LHR:

A trio of tea sandwiches and apricot stilton cheese
Tuna nicoise, beef pastrami, chunky hummus and carrot

Cheese plate with fresh seasonal fruit
Blackstick, Butler’s Secret

Your selected entrée will be served with a fresh fruit appetizer, warm scones, clotted cream and fruit preserves.

Yum! After watching some of my Netflix DVDs and working on this trip report, we landed into DC. Back to reality…for one day at least. I’m going back to work tomorrow for a few hours, and then am headed back across the Atlantic to Munich thanks to Hilton’s January sale. I hate to say this, but I hope this depression will last awhile (assuming I’m still gainfully employed). There are some excellent travel deals out there right now.

Anyway, it’s too early to start booking my flights for next year’s SIN Do (in SQ F of course!). But I’ll be doing so shortly. I had originally intended this to be a short trip report, but it somehow ballooned into this huge novel. So if you’ve read to this point, thanks!

Last edited by Condition One; Jan 23, 2009 at 10:49 am
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great report!

I am surprised SQ does not have a hot breakfast prior to landing on JFK-FRA.

One correction: 1/15/09 SQ25 JFK-FRA 12:00pm – 6:55am (+1) should be FRA-SIN, no?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Great report!

I am surprised SQ does not have a hot breakfast prior to landing on JFK-FRA.

One correction: 1/15/09 SQ25 JFK-FRA 12:00pm – 6:55am (+1) should be FRA-SIN, no?
I was surprised when I first learned that as well, but having flown on SQ 25 multiple times in F, I would have to say that it really doesn't matter. The service flow on this flight is full long haul F after a late takeoff from JFK, after which almost everyone I've seen goes straight to sleep. On all occasions, I have slept through until about 30 minutes before landing, time to change out of the PJ's, repack my things, and prepare for landing. There is no need or time for a full hot breakfast.
However, on the reverse route, SQ 26, FRA-JFK, I believe that SQ should have a Light Bites menu for snacks in between the meals because it is a long, westbound day flight. Normally, SQ's USA flights have a longer-ish Asian segment, followed by the Transpacific segment to the USA. The transpac service is given full service naturally, while the Asian segment is downgraded, both because it is within Asia and because it is shorter. SQ 25/26 is more complicated because the long flight is the SIN-FRA-SIN leg, while the shorter "regional" leg is FRA-JFK-FRA. However, FRA-JFK is more of a longhaul route than say ICN-SIN, and so while it may be SQ trying to be consistent internally, it doesn't make sense to me on this route.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
Thanks so much for a great TR. I really enjoyed your level of detail and the in-city portions of the report. Have a great time in Munich!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Condition One,

Nice report. Easy to read. I don't know whether to be jealous of you riding upfront on SQ (I did Raffles JFK/FRA), or your attendance at SinDo. I attended SinDo 2 and 3 way back when. That's when we had 10 guys having midnight dinner at that famous market Lu something or other.

Both experiences were ^
Thanks for the memories.

dh
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Great Report. Love the detail.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Thanks for a great read ^
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yup, that was a mistake and I just fixed it. I got a PM from another FT'er too. Tough crowd
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Condition One

1/14/09 SQ25 JFK-FRA 9:00pm – 10:50am (+1)

The Virgin Clubhouse wasn’t too shabby. They piped in hip/popular music and had a good menu to order from. Knowing that I had a feast aboard my SQ flight, I opted for a shrimp skewer plate that came with an Asian-type salad. It really hit the spot. Then I started surfing the web. While reading FT, I saw that Rolov was posting on the SIN DO thread, wishing us the best, as he was on his way to a mini BRU Do and was in the VS Lounge at the moment. Hey, that’s where I was! I PM’d Rolov saying that I was in the lounge as well, and gave him my description and invited him to find me if he was so inclined. A few minutes later, he approached me and we had a nice chat. If I could only meet girls that easily

Rolov and I parted ways, and it was time to clear security and board my flight! When I got to the security lane, it was packed with travelers and friends/family sending them off. I had to fight the crowd to the Clear Lane, and was immediately told to go to the other line before seeing my Clear card. “Oh! Follow me sir”. I guess they don’t get many Clear members.

I had originally intended this to be a short trip report, but it somehow ballooned into this huge novel. So if you’ve read to this point, thanks!
Great trip report ^ (Thanks for the guest appearance )
It sounds like you enjoyed the rest of the trip and the SIN DO .
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:39 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by rolov
Great trip report ^ (Thanks for the guest appearance )
It sounds like you enjoyed the rest of the trip and the SIN DO .
And I got the greetings from Rolov !!

Thanks for the nice report, Condition One !! ^
Old Jan 27, 2009, 4:19 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
This was a great report.
And I love the sense of humor "If i could only meet girls that easily"!!
Great job Sir,
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by szg
And I got the greetings from Rolov !!

Thanks for the nice report, Condition One !! ^
I told him to say hello and to you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.