Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Nbo - dxb ek f class

FLIGHT
NBO-DXB EMIRATES EK 722 29 OCT
2335 0535
FIRST CLASS

CHECK IN

The trip to the airport was very smooth, with little traffic, so I arrived at around 9:00 pm. There was one First Class desk, one for Business Class, and three for Economy. The lines were short, and the whole process took less then 5 minutes. I had checked in on-line through to Melbourne. I was issued with boarding passes, a lounge invite, and also told that I was the only passenger in First class. Immigration took less then 5 minutes, and I was through by 9:15 pm.

LOUNGE

I ran into a friend who was on a Kenya Airways flight to Hong Kong. As KQ and EK use separate lounges, we decided to go to the Java Coffee shop. He wanted to check out the KQ lounge, so I waited outside. The lounge attendant was busy with a large group, and I noted that he walked straight in without being asked for his invite, so I followed him, and had a few drinks in the KQ lounge.

The EK lounge is a shared lounge, and is not great.

BOARDING

The flight started boarding at 11:00 pm. I was greeted by name at the door, and shown to my seat. I stowed my luggage away, and was asked what I wanted to drink. Normally EK serves pre-departure Moet Chandon Champagne, but today it was the Dom. So I had a couple of glasses, was given an amenity kit, slippers, eye shades, personal hand towel and ear plugs. Today a hot towel was given on a plate (I don’t know if that is because I was the only passenger). We pushed back at 11:30 pm, and were airborne 10 minutes later.

CABIN

EK 722 operates an A330-200 in either a 2 or 3 class configuration. In First there are 12 seats in 2 rows, 2-2-2 across. It is located in front of a mini business class cabin consisting of a single row 2-3-2. Newspapers are handed out on a try. Magazines are available on 2 racks at the rear of the cabin. There is one toilet for F passengers, which has toothbrushes, razors, combs, cologne and hand cream.

SEAT

On the A330-200, EK have the older F seats. They recline around 70 degree’s, and are comfortable for a short journey. There is a large pillow on each seat, and passengers are offered a duvet or blanket.

IN FLIGHT SERVICE

Service was extremely attentive. As soon as the seat belt sign was switched off, I was offered another glass of champagne, and mixed nuts. I was given a menu, and wine list. EK have a dine on demand option (which does not seem to change).

A la Carte Dining

Appetisers: Smoked Salmon and Prawn Cocktail
Mediterranean Mezze

Main Courses: Fillet steak with mustard and black pepper sauce
Thai chicken curry
Grilled fillet of kingfish
Vegetable biriyani

Bread basket

Light Bites: Seasonal salad

International Cheese Selection

Sweet Delights: Rich dark chocolate mouse

Chocolates with tea/coffee

Wine List

Champagne: Dom Perignon 2000

White Wine: Chassagne Montrachet Domaine Bernard Morey 2004
Cesconi Olivar Trento, Italy 2006
Rijk’s Private Cellars, Semillon 2004

Red Wine: Chateau Montrose Saint Estephe 1996
Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru Nicolas Potel 2004

Dessert Wine: Chateau Guiraud Premier Cru Sauternes 1997

Port: Warre’s Vintage Port 1994

I opted to have two started, a salad and cheese, as it was late. My table was laid out with cutlery, a bread basket, etc. The salmon starter had good smoked salmon, small dried out prawns, and a very dried out piece of steamed fish. It was very mediocre. The Arabic Mezzee was also average, as was the salad. The cheese course had 4 cheeses, all of which were Kenyan, and not bad. I had this with a glass of port, which was excellent. Emirates have changed their glassware, and now have proper wine glasses (which the airhostess commented on being hard to pour into, as the rim is smaller) After the meal service, I flattened my seat, and had a short sleep, waking up 10 minutes before we landed.

IN FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT

On the A330-200 there is no ICE entertainment, but instead audio and video channels on a loop. In F and J class, each seat has a built in video player with a choice of movies. The screen in F class is in the centre arm rest, so it cannot be used until the seat belt sign has been switched off.

I had ordered one before we took off, so soon after take off, I started watching my movie. EK provide BOSE noise canceling head phones.

ARRIVAL

We landed just before 5:20 am, and pulled up into the new Terminal 3 (where all the gates are numbered 2xx). Disembarking was fast, and I was inside the terminal building in under 5 minutes

DUBAI AIRPORT TERMINAL 3

The new terminal is large. When we arrived, there were very few people, and it does seem to lack a soul. Having been so used to the old terminal it took a while to familiarize my self with Terminal 3. The First and Business Class lounges are located on the first floor, and can be accessed via an escalator or lift.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:41 am

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like a great flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.