Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurants in the middle of nowhere that are EXCELLENT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:58 am

Thanks for all the great info!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do Onboard Cruise Restaurant Dining during voyage count as "In the Middle of Nowhere"?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by GolfTravelr
Hitching Post - Casmalia, CA (just north of Vandenberg AFB) - Campy but great steaks cooked over a mesquite fire.
I'm gonna have to concur w/this one. Love that place. I do hope you get a BBQ'ed artichoke appetizer.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Sounds of Silence - Ayers Rock Resort

If you ever get a chance to visit the Big Brown Rock in the middle of Australia, make sure you pay the premium and have dinner at Sounds Of Silence.

The food is awesome, the scenery spectacular

At the Sounds of Silence experience you can dine under the canopy of the desert night, while your very own storyteller shares tales as told in the stars
Sunset canapés.
Your journey begins on a lone sand dune. A path takes you to an uninterrupted, three hundred and sixty degree view of this vast landscape. In front of you is the fabled Uluru; behind you are the domes of Kata Tjuta and, possibly the most spectacular sunset you have ever seen. Here you enjoy sparkling wine and a selection of delectable canapés.

Dining under the sparkling outback sky

As the sun sets, you feast on a BBQ buffet of authentic Australian delicacies examples include barramundi, kangaroo, emu and crocodile, bush salads and classic desserts, complemented by some of Australia's finest wines.

Stargazing
Attention then turns to some of the world's best stargazing, as our startalker takes you on a tour of the spectacular southern night sky. As you wind down after dinner, you are offered a choice of tea, coffee or port. In winter, guests gather around a campfire to savour a special treat of hot mulled wine.

Sounds of Silence is highly recommended, and we encourage every visitor who comes to Voyages Ayers Rock Resort to join us for this unique event.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Originally Posted by kudzu
Less than an hour from TVC, in the little town of Ellsworth, MI, are TWO of the region's best - The Rowe Inn and Tapawingo

Worth the drive
A second vote for the Rowe Inn-outstanding.

And I'll add an entry- Vito's Ristorante in Punta de Mita, Mexico. About 40 minutes outside of Puerto Vallarta. Maybe the best northern Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy. The restaurant is located in the backyard of the family's home-which has been transformed into a little version of Italy. Menu changes daily when the chef/owner goes to the market to see what's fresh. I highly recommend this place.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Another great restaurant in the middle of nowhere:

Johnny McNally's Fairview Lodge, Riverkern, CA

Home of the 40 oz. porterhouse and the 24-oz filet mignon, cut from flavorful butter-tender local beef....that will make that piece of meat you paid big a$$ dollars at Ruth Chris's or even Morton's or Peter Luger seem like 2nd rate shoe leather. Sure, the place is rural cafe casual... But you are not here for overpriced "atmosphere" and snooty waiters but good food...especially the MEAT. (although local rainbow trout is darn fine too!)
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by stut
Round our way (East of England) there's a mix of old-school restaurants that have survived through sheer quality, and newer ones that have been established to revive the fortunes of struggling pubs.
Now I'm going to have to do some research, as the name of the place I'm thinking of escapes me. Maybe you know this place stut.

Gastropub, been around for years (before gastropubs were the in thing) in the middle of the Fens to the north east of Cambridge, that has won numerous awards for it's food. You have to book way in advance. I've been taken to it a couple of times in winter and it's totally in the middle of nowhere in so much as you drive down lane after unlit lane and finally along the top of a dyke, without so much as a house or signpost for what seems like miles.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674
Middendorf's is in Manchac, LA. Unfortunately they were hit with flooding during Ike.

http://www.middendorfsrestaurant.com/
It has reopened.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
Hitchin Post Saloon and restaurant

3640 Las Vegas Blvd North
Las Vegas, NV 89115

Opened in August, they are way up in the middle of NOWHERE but have an excellent chef and the food is fab. 24 hours a day you can get all items on the menu. Excellent steaks. Amazing, considering it looks like a biker bar next to a no-tell motel in front of an RV park. BTW, that is precisely what it used to be (well, the motel and RV park are still there, but the bar is now a restaurant)!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 1:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Now I'm going to have to do some research, as the name of the place I'm thinking of escapes me. Maybe you know this place stut.

Gastropub, been around for years (before gastropubs were the in thing) in the middle of the Fens to the north east of Cambridge, that has won numerous awards for it's food. You have to book way in advance. I've been taken to it a couple of times in winter and it's totally in the middle of nowhere in so much as you drive down lane after unlit lane and finally along the top of a dyke, without so much as a house or signpost for what seems like miles.
Ah yes, that sounds like Fenland

Is this the place?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Yep, that's the place. Thanks stut
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
My metric for "great restaurant in the middle of nowhere" is Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino California. Of course any great restaurant cannot be in the middle of nowhere (and make money), so being in a tourist destination that is food conscious helps. Better described at http://www.cafebeaujolais.com/
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:43 pm

Double Musky ( "mountain cajun cuisine") in Girdwood, Alaska.
Turtle Club ( no finer prime rib have I ever tasted) Steese Hiway northeast of Fairbanks, Alaska.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Brick oven pizza in Kauai in Lawai. The best pizza I have ever had. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

RST, Mn, finally has a good restaurant. Go for the Walleye Pike Cakes with home-made tartar sauce. A great dish that I'll never find in my home town. The restaurant is Chester's, two blocks from the Mayo Clinic. A terrific restaurant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.