Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevincm
That sounds like the Chicago T5 I know and love Moomba with regards to their immigration . At least you won't have that joy on the return trip

I'd say this is trip sounding like an AAddiction rather than a passion. A shame... you would had thought AA would had put a tiny bit more effort into the product as oppose to tiny icons for everything....

Keep going Moomba
You betcha this was definitely an addiction trip. This round trip would seal the deal on EXP again for this year once the remaining portions of my AONE (that are in this calendar year) are completed.

Don't get me wrong about the icons they are not really tiny, they are just not obvious especially if you don't know the actors in the movie and the pictures therefore mean nothing.

Oh and can I add one more rant about the IFE. The video quality is rubbish and sometimes is so distorted it is just not worth it.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Bits & Bobs Part 8 - An MR to ORD Part 2 - ORD - LHR

The Photos

If one flies to the US one must again return sometime soon. In my case it was a little over 24 hours later.

I walked back over to T3 and found the AA First and Business class desks which still had quite a queue. I asked the AA rep there if I could use the SSCI machines on an international itinerary and with a foreign passport. He confirmed that I could so I proceeded to do so. My routing back, driven entirely by fare bucket availability at the time of booking, was to take me ORD-MIA-LHR.

The machine spat out my two boarding passes which although being printed on flimsy paper at least had some coloured ink on them. The nasty BA SSCI machine print black and white only and are so cheap looking it is a joke.

I proceeded to an empty security line and was done and dusted there within a couple of minutes.

I made my way up the long K wing of the terminal to the Flagship Lounge and handed over my BP and my BA gold card. I was welcomed inside by a lovely agent.
I grabbed a Sam Adams and some sandwiches to eat for lunch.
After reading a bit and having a few more nibbles I headed out and back down to the middle of the Y to make my way to the end of the H gates where my Miami flight was leaving from.
I got to the gate at the appointed boarding time but it didn’t show Miami as it was still clearing the last of the passengers of the previous flight. I thought to myself this does not bode well for an on time departure.

A few minutes later the information screens showed the details for the MIA flight. The gate agent came on the blower and announced that we were still expecting an on time departure ( yeah who you trying to kid ). He also stated that the flight was very full and don’t bother asking for seat changes and if you are waitlisted please wait until you are called.

Around 5 minutes later a 40 minute delay posted on the screens.

This was my queue to visit the gate agents. I asked if my LHR connection was still OK with the delay. She said no problems with connections. I said is there any chance I can get on a direct flight to London from Chicago, and I have no checked bags. She asked her colleague who said ‘if there is availability and that is what he wants to do then yes’.
I was in luck and there was availability on the 17:00 fight. She got me offloaded the ORD - MIA – LHR flights and onto the direct flight. She asked if I preferred isle or window and I said anything up the front. She printed off a BP for 9B and I was set.
At this point the agents announced a $200 voucher for anyone willing to go to MIA on the later flight. I said it looks like we had a win win situation here. She smiled and I thanked her again and went back to the Flagship lounge for a couple of more hours.

I grabbed another drink or two or three and some more nibbles whist reading my book in the quiet of what used to be the old smoking room. This room is now a cell phone free zone. It still stinks a little of smoke but I could live with that just to get some quiet.

At around 15:30 a supper was set out that included spicy sausages, spring rolls, chicken on skewers, mini pizzas and cold cooked prawns with various dipping sauces.

I went out the back door to the lounge into the area where my gate was located. It was bedlam out there as there was a 777 load of people and a 767 bound for LAX at the next gate. To compound this mayhem the previous LAX flight had been cancelled and there were 75 people on the waitlist for the LAX flight all hovering around the gate are as well.

At around 16:35 our gate agents announced that we could not board as the catering guys were yet to make it onto the plane. They eventually made it and were able to load the aircraft. We were then allowed to board at 17:10 with First passengers invited onboard first and then the Business class cabin.

Flight AA0086 ORD-LHR Seat 8K
Aircraft: 777
Departure time: 17:00

I settled into my seat 9B whilst the rest of the plane boarded. During this time the crew came around with OJ, Water and Sparkling wine. The pillow, duvet and amenity kit were on the seat when I arrived. The menus and landing card and fast track invites were given out at this time also.

As we were closing up I noticed that there were no pax in row 8. I asked my FA if I could move over to 8K and she said yes fine. I moved my self over and settled in. The crew member came around and took my order for dinner first following FEBO rules.

We pushed back at 17:35 after another delay as the captain informed us there was a problem with the avionics but it was rectified quickly. We taxied out and took off at 17:40 for our 7 hour and 35 minute flight to London.

After the belts sign was off the crew handed out the Bose headsets and proceeded to offer a round of drinks. I went for a glass scotch and dry with my red hot nuts. The FA did warn me they were hot.

On the way back up the plane the FA notice my empty nut bowl and glass and offered me more of both. Wow that is the first time that has happened in a while.

I decided to see if the IFE would play ball for me this time and indeed it did with a clear picture and sound for the movie I wanted to watch.
Hot towels were handed out after the drink service and then our trays were set for dinner.

DINNER
To Start:

Warm Mixed Nuts

Appetizer:
Coppa Ham with Mozzarella Cheese

Salad:
Fresh seasonal Greens and an assortment of fresh Vegetables offered with Pepper Cream Dressing or premium Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Bread Basket:
Assorted Gourmet Breads

Main Course:
Beef Fillet – Fillet of Beef enhanced by a Gorgonzola Mushroom Sauce served with blanched Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes with Turnips

Lamb Medallions – Lamb Medallions served with Marionberry Glaze, accompanied by Cilantro Mashed Potatoes, grilled Asparagus Tips and roasted Cherry Tomatoes

Chicken Panang – Sliced Breast of Chicken in Panang Curry sauce, served with stir-fried Asian Vegetables and Basmati Rice

Four Cheese Ravioli with Tomato Cream Sauce – Ravioli Pasta filled with four Cheeses, complemented by a Tomato Cream Sauce, sautéed Onions and freshly chopped Garlic

Dessert:
Basil Caciotta and White Cheddar Cheese accompanied by seasonal Grapes

Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie Dough and Caramel Swirls, served with White Peach Puree and Honey Nut Crunch topping

To Finish:
Ghirardelli Chocolates

Wine List:
Champagne:

Pommery Brut Champagne

White Wines:
Regatta Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California

Warburn South-eastern Australia Premium Reserve Pinot Grigio

Red Wines:
The Colonial Estate “Explorateur” Shiraz

Chapoutier Coteaux du Tricastin Rouge, Rhone

With the starter I decided to try a glass of the Rhone wine. Bad move. Very weak and not at all to my liking as it completely lacked any body.

On the way back up the isle the FA offered to fill my glass and I asked to switch over to the Shiraz.

The beef fillet was lovely and was not overcooked and dried out like most beef dished I have had on planes. I drank more Shiraz and watched my movie whilst eating.

When it came to Cheese or Ice Cream I broke down and went for the ice cream option which was very nice although the peach puree was frozen in the bottom of the glass and did not get eaten. I grabbed a coffee to wash down the ice cream and the chocolate that was offered not long afterwards.

My movie finished and I set the seat to bed mode and had a fitful sleep for a while but eventually slept until 45 minutes outside of London. I was not offered any food or drinks at this point, not that I wanted any though. This was obviously not CX where the crew are offering you something as soon as they see you stir.

We were informed by the captain that we needed to circle London for around 10 minutes but would still arrive only 10 minutes later than our scheduled arrival time despite the late departure.

We eventually flew into LHR and landed at 07:01 in the morning and made the long taxi to the gate. The crew held business class back whilst the first crowd deplaned through door 2L. We were then allowed off and I made the long hike to immigrations. IRIS was playing ball but was on a go slow. Both myself and the guy in the booth next to me stood for well over 45 seconds before it decided to let us through.

No baggage meant a quick exit through customs and straight on up to the AA arrivals lounge were I was able to grab a shower. I then ate some yoghurt and fruit and departed making a bee line for the HEX.

The HEX and one tube got me to work around the same time as the MIA flight I was originally booked on was due to arrive in London. I smiled and thought thank you lovely gate agent in ORD.

As Kevincm has already accurately pointed out this one was an addiction.

More soon including picking up the next step in the RTW itinerary.

The Photos
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Well, I guess it is time that I become an active poster than a long time lurker. And this seems to be the place to do it. I have thouroughly enojyed reading your tales of addiction. And I am sticking with addiction because milage runs are addicting. Mine pale in comparison to yours, but, its nice knowing that I will have 16 segments in two weeks, and knowing that it will be of great pleasure to once again accrue status.

Keep in mind you have more of a fan base than you think. I hope you keep up the good work because I, along with everyone else on this board, have a passion for flying and its nice to live that through someone when we can't do it ourselves! lol

zz
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:17 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Welcome on FT, aviatorzz !!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:38 am

why thank you!

zz
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Welcome to FT aviatorzz. I a honoured that you chose my TR as your place to post first.

I hope we shall see a TR from you soon on your upcoming 16 segments.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:39 pm

Well I have created a simple (long) Trip Report just to test the waters.

But again, thanks for the postings ^

zz
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Nice update Moomba. The LHR-ORD-LHR route is one i've done many many times and will be doing again in the future. Usually ends up with 10k in miles for around £320 if you get the right fare/route!

I've been at the mercy of delays at ORD too recently and was lucky that they moved me onto direct flights rather than have to go via's and i even managed to get the original mileage credit for some reason too!

Look forward to the next postings!

Chris
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Part 13 LHR - JFK

The Photos

The time has come to pick up the RTW ticket where I had parked it in JFK back in June. But first I needed to get back to JFK using the return portion of a JFK-LHR-JFK ticket on AA using my eVIPs to upgrade to J.

After only 3 weeks in my new contract at work I ducked out early to head for my flight to JFK. I had packed my suitcase and carted it into work so that I could head straight to Heathrow in the early afternoon. Of course the tube network conspired against me and I needed to catch 3 tubes to get to Paddington rather than 1 as that line was cactus this particular afternoon.

Once at LHR Terminal 3 I made my way up to the AA Flagship Check-in in the forecourt. There were no queues and I was checked in quickly and my bag tagged to JFK. I went inside the main terminal building and headed for the Fast Track security line. There was a short queue and I was finished and heading to the lounge in around 6 minutes, even though I was caught by the shoe guard again.

I proceeded to the CX lounge and was invited into the F section after producing my BA Gold card. I had a glass of Champagne and some Dim Sum as is my usual ritual in this lounge.
I then decided to wash away the cares of the working day and have a shower. The cheeky attendant told me there were none available and to come back in 45 minutes. He then smiled and said ‘Only joking’ and directed me to a free shower room.
Of note in the lounge was some plonker wearing his CX F PJ top over his shirt and jeans.

I wandered out of the lounge to make the long trek to my gate. On arrival there was no queue to get my BP swiped. I was not asked to do a secondary screening despite all the screeners standing idle at the time.

I found a perch and waited until boarding commenced.

At 18:00 the flight started to board with First invited up and then Business before asking other elites to board. I made my way on to the plane and found my seat.

Flight AA107 LHR - JFK Seat 12A
Departure time: 18:30

On the seat were a duvet and pillow and the seat was the new AA J.
I missed the pre-flight drinks as they came around whilst I was in the loo.
At 18:35 the captain announced a delay due to ATC and a flying time of 7 hours and 05 minutes.
Menu cards were handed out and amenity kits containing temple spa were brought around. The dinner orders were then taken in accordance with FEBO and started from the back.

We pushed back at 19:12 but still had to queue for a while before taking to the air. After the belts sign was switched off the Bose headsets were handed out and then the drinks and nuts round commenced.

The cabin was not full on this flight and most of the middle seats in the centre section were free as too was the seat next to me.

For my drink I decided on an old favourite of Scotch and Dry and was offered a second bottle of scotch the and whole can of Dry Ginger Ale. More nuts were offered as the crew member made his way back up the aisle. (Hmm has he been reading my TRs?) He also offered a top up of ice.
Hot towels were out next after which the meal service began.

On offer for dinner:

The Menu
To Start:

Warm mixed Nuts

Appetizer:
Apple Soy-marinated Beef served with Horseradish Cream and thin Potatoes

Salad:
Fresh seasonal Greens and an assortment of fresh Vegetables offered with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing or premium Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Bread Basket:
Assorted Gourmet Breads

Entrees:
Fillet of Salmon
Seared Fillet of Salmon accented by a Herb-Butter Sauce, offered with blanched Asparagus and Spring Onion Mashed Potatoes

Beef Fillet
Grilled Fillet of Beef accented by Cherry and Chocolate Balsamic Sauce, served with a Cheddar Polenta Cake and Asparagus and Celery Medley

Roasted Chicken
Roasted Chicken Breast enhanced by Bordelaise Sauce, served with sautéed Swiss Chard, baby Carrots and Truffle Celeriac Puree

Pasta
Gnocchi stuffed with a rich Pecorino Cream filling

Dessert:
A selection gourmet Cheeses offered with fresh seasonal Fruit and assorted Crackers
OR
A scoop of Ben&Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream

To Finish:
Assorted Lindt Chocolates

Champagne:
Pommery Brut Champagne

White Wines:
Regatta Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, California
Warburn Southeastern Australia Premium Reserve Pinot Grigio

Red Wines:
The Colonial Estate “Explorateur” Shiraz
Chapoutier Coteaux du Tricastin Rouge, Rhone

Sherry:
Emilio Lustau Sherry

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s 20 Years Old Tawny Port

The dinner trays were passed out and the starter and salad where on the tray as usual and wine was offered. After trying the Shiraz on my previous flights my wine choice was a no brainer. The starter was quite nice especially with the additional zing provided by the peppercorns.
My wine was topped up by the crew member as he made his way back up the aisle.

After the salad plate was taken away my main course roast chicken arrived. I have to hand it to AA catering as they very rarely serve up over cooked dried out meals and this chicken was no exception. It was tender and juicy although just a tad bland. I stuck to the Shiraz which was regularly topped up by the every attentive FA.

After the tray was taken away dessert or cheese was offered. I declined both but accepted yet another offer of more of the Shiraz and also ordered a coffee. The chocolates then made the rounds followed by bottles of water.

After dinner I watched some TV as the movie offerings were meagre and not to my liking. I then dozed and listened to music for most of the rest of the flight.

At some point I went to the loo and on return noticed my empty water bottle had been re-filled whilst I was gone. Wow am I really flying on AA?

Around 90 minutes out the crew got into action to serve up the Light Meal.

Light Meal:
Uno’s Farmer’s Market Pizza – A Chicago style Deep-Dish Pizza topped with fresh Spinach, Eggplant, sun-dried and Plum Tomatoes, sweet Caramelized Onions and a three Cheese blend of Feta, Mozzarella and Romano flavoured with fragrant Basil Pesto accompanied by a fresh Green Salad tossed with English Cucumbers and Cherry Tomatoes

Asian-Style Chicken – Slices of Soy-seared Breast of Chicken served chilled on a bed of grilled Pineapple with Asian Slaw and a sweet and sour Sesame Dressing

Dessert:
Lemon Tart

Pre-Arrival Beverage:
Chilled Sparkling Water with a fresh fruit Citrus Garnish

I went for the yummy pizza again and some more of that great Shiraz.
After the meal was complete the crew came around to take the Bose headsets back and prepare the cabin for landing.
As usual there was no sign of the pre-arrival drinks.

We landed at 21:23 and were at the gate by 21:30. Immigrations was queue-less and I walked straight up to a very friendly and chatty agent. He asked how long I would be in the states and I said it really was an overnight stopover on the way to HKG. This was the second time I had used the new all finger print machines at US immigrations. After I put my four fingers from the right hand on he said “ah you have been here before the system has recognised you, no need to get the rest of your prints”. Nice.

After stamping me in to the country he gave a form explaining the new online registration procedures that the US are introducing next year.
I went though to the baggage claim area and waited and waited. Bags appeared at 21:50 but I still waited and waited. Eventually my bag appeared with the priority tag seemingly meaningless at JFK.

There were no problems with customs and I went out and caught the Train Federal Circle where I called the Sheraton who said the van was on its way.
Several minutes later the van arrived and I was driven to the Sheraton JFK.
On arrival at around 22:30 I was informed of an upgrade to a Club level room. The club level requires you to use your key to access the floor in the elevator. The club lounge is really just an area outside the elevator with some seating, coffee and hot water with various tea bags and a PC with fax/printer attached.

Although the building is old the whole interior is newly decked out and the room was quite large with a very large bathroom that only had a huge shower and no bath.

I had started to get the sniffles on the plane and by the time I got to the hotel I was wondering if it was the beginnings of a cold. I went to the lounge and grabbed a calming herbal tea and checked my emails on the PC.

It was then time for bed and some rest before my next F flight on the RTW ticket.

The Photos
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Part 14 JFK - HKG

The Photos

I woke up with my nose still running constantly and determined that I had indeed finally succumbed to the lurgy that was doing the rounds of our office before I left.
I utilised the bathroom facilities at the hotel and then headed down to the Club Loungette for something to eat.
There was a supply of fruit and cereal and some bread and bagels and a toaster in which to make them toasty.
I grabbed a bagel and threw it into the toaster for what seemed like an eternity and still only a pale shade of brown was achieved. Thank goodness I live in a country where the voltage is 240. One could expire waiting for toast to brown in the US.

After my bagel, some fruit and a coffee I went back to my room to pack and lurk for a while until I needed to leave for the airport.

I checked out and caught the midday shuttle to Terminal 7 at JFK.

Once inside I headed to the left to the BA F & J check in section. I walked up to the F desk and the agent, after finishing a phone call called me over.
She checked me in for the flight and added my AA number to the sector as it was still showing the BA number. She then printed an invite to the BA terraces First lounge and gave me directions. She tagged my case and I was on my way.
The BA separate security area was closed I was directed out to the madding crowd of civilians. There wasn’t really a madding crowd that just sounded good. The airport was quite dead actually and I only had one person in front of me at the security queue. No problems getting through and nothing beeped or was required to be searched.

I went on into the terminal and doubled back up stairs to the lounges. I was directed to the First lounge which is on the left. Inside I found a very lacklustre lounge with self service drinks section and a meagre supply of sandwiches and some pot noodles. No expense spared by BA on this lounge.

The bubbles, which I of course made a beeline for, were Piper Heidsieck Brut. I also grabbed a couple of fingers of sandwiches and went down to one of the three computers in the lounge to check email, FT etc.

I was still suffering a dripping nasal orifice and asked the lounge agent if there was a chemist in the terminal. He directed me to one of the Hudson news stores that had some medications on a stand. There were two Hudson news stores and this larger one was down near the low numbered gates. I found some anti drip medication and went back up to the lounge where I grabbed some water and a pot noodles – real first class this is.

The lounge had quite a few people in it when I arrived and it seems ANA also use this lounge for their F pax as does Iceland Air although I presume their pax were in the other half. This flight was called and the lounge emptied out apart from about 3 other people.
During my time in the lounge a woman and her kids came into the lounge and raided the food and drink and left again. I presumed they were from the J lounge. Then several more times one or more of her brats were seen to come back in raiding the lounge. I don’t know what the lounge agent was doing but it certainly wasn’t keeping people out that should be elsewhere.

At 14:20 my flight was called and I headed down to the gate at the far end of the terminal. There was a separate line for F & J although there was no queue and I was processed straight away and walked on down to the plane.

Flight CX831 JFK-HKG Seat 1K
Departure time: 14:55

Once onboard I was greeted at the door and escorted to my seat and asked if I would like a drink. I asked for Champagne of course. The FA came back a little later and said it would be a few minutes as it was still chilling.
I asked about the load up front and she confirmed that there was only one other passenger in F.
The amenity kit was handed out along with the new CX PJs. These new PJs have a top that buttons all the way down the front rather than the old slip on top. The buttons other than the top one were all snap together types with the Chinese knot just sewn on for looks.

The ISM came over and introduced herself and told me the flight time would be 15 hours and 32 minutes. She said she hoped the IFE was going to work today. I had seen a tech onboard earlier so they were obviously having some issues.

My champagne arrived with the glass being placed first then the bottle presented before the Krug was poured out. A hot towel was also presented on a small platter at this time.

We pushed back at 14:52 but didn’t take off until 15:22 because of congestion at the airport.

After finally making it into the air I decided to check out what was on offer on the IFE. The new CX system has 100 movies, 350 TV shows and 888 CDs to choose from and it was not difficult to find something of interest.
On the handset and the system shows the remaining time for the movie and the time to reach Hong Kong and the current time in Hong Kong. I was amused to see that it showed the time as 28:30 as it was already tomorrow there.
One new feature I noticed on the IFE was the ability to add a whole CD to your playlist. The old incarnation only allowed you to add each track one by one to your playlist.

The menus were handed out after take off along with a post take off drink, champagne of course, and some nuts.
I must point out that at this time my nose had finally decided to cooperate and I was now drip free.

On offer for lunch:

Lunch:

Caviar, Smoked salmon and Champagne:

Caviar and fine smoked salmon with Krug grande cuvee

Starters:
Mushroom Soup

Pan-seared scallops with mesculn salad and lemon vinaigrette

Main Courses:
Grilled beef tenderloin with shallot sauce potato terrine, butternut squash and sautéed asparagus

Rigatoni with sage cream and pumpkin seeds

Chinese Favourites:
Double boiled pork with conch and wolfberries soup

Cold plate – vegetarian duck

Braised abalone with chicken
or
Szechuanese chilli prawns

Served with
stir-fried pak choy with carrot and mushroom
steamed rice

Cheese and Dessert:
Cambozola, St. Pauline, Goat Cheese, Yellow Cheddar

Fresh seasonal berries

Tiramisu

Almond cherry cake
served with vanilla ice cream and berry coulis

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines and Cookies:

Champagne:
Krug Grande Cuvee Champagne

White Wines:
Cuvaison Estate Selection Chardonnay Napa Valley Carneros 2004

Bouchard Pere & Fils Meursault Les Clous 2005

Red Wines:

Possums Vineyard McLaren Vale Shiraz 2004

Felipe Rutini Reserve Malbec 2006

Chateau Lynch-Bages, 5eme Cru Classe Pauillac 1998

Port:
Ramos Pinto Quinta de Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny Port

Aperitifs and Cocktails:
Campari, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, La Ina Dry Sherry, Harveys Bristol Cream Sweet Sherry, Gordons Dry Gin, Stolichnaya Russian Vodka, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies:
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Canadian Club, Gentleman Jack Bourbon, Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve Single Malt Whisky

Cognac:
Courvoisier XO

Liqueurs:
Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Drambuie, Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream

Beer:
International Selection

CX Signature Drinks:
Cathay Delight
A kiwi based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint

Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon

Juices:
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks:
Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees:
freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte regular or decaffeinated

Teas:
Fuding jasmine silver fur, Anqi supreme Ti Guan Yin, Ceylon, Japanese, Hong Kong style milk tea
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

I started my meal with the yummy caviar service with the Krug as a satisfactory accompaniment.
During this course we experienced some turbulence and the seat belt signs were switched on.

Next up was the salad along with some bread, although I expecting the soup. The scallops were not too dried out and stringy and it was quite a substantial serving for a starter. My FA cleared away the dishes and said they could not serve the soup as the seat belt sign was on. She said would I like the main now. I said lets wait a bit and see if the seat belt sign goes off.
It had been smooth for a few minutes at the time. I was rewarded with the ping of the seat belt sign going off around 4 minutes later.

My soup was then served up to me with the offer of more bread. Needless to say my champagne glass was filled as it approached empty throughout this portion of the meal. I don’t really know why the soup was not served during turbulence as it was really only lukewarm when I made it to me. It was tasty though and had nice chunky pieces of mushroom in it.

My main course of choice was the beef which was presented next up. I switched over to the much talked about Lynch-Bages at this time.
Both were exceptionally nice and the beef was not dry at all and was quite tender.

The cheese board was presented before me and I chose some of the Cambozola and the Goats cheese. These were cut off the slab and presented to me with some grapes and crackers. I kept with the Lynch-Bages for this course also. The Cambozola was a soft blue cheese and was really nice.

I was offered dessert once I had finished that lot but said I would wait a while and sip some more on my red wine which was then re-filled.

After the glass was empty the FA came to temp me again with dessert. I asked for the Tiramisu and for a glass of the Single Malt. The dessert came out in a wee espresso cup and was sweet and smooth and coffee-y. After I finished I went to the loo and on my return the FA placed another Tiramisu in front of me and said, ‘they are only small you better have another’.

After this leisurely 2 hour lunch I was stuffed, slightly inebriated and somewhat tired for some reason.
I asked the FA to make up my bed for me which she then proceeded to do for me. An under blanket was placed on the reclined bed and a duvet placed over the top under which I snuggled in for some sleep.

The other inhabitant of the F cabin in 2A had also decided it was time for some kip so all the shades were lowered and the cabin made dark.
I think I slept for something like 6.5 hours only waking a couple of times to sup on the water bottle that the FA supplied when she after the lunch service was done.

I awoke and started to surf the IFE watching a movie or two as there was still 5 or more hours left in the flight.

I decided it was time to chow down again and asked for one of the snack menu items.

Snacks:
Barbecued duck in noodle soup

Grilled chicken and pineapple skewer with papaya salsa

Joe Shanghai crab with pork dumpling served with dark vinegar and ginger

Hot pot rice with black bean spare ribs served with chicken broth

Ice Cream

I went for the old favourite noodles.
A little while later my noodles arrive and did not disappoint. I ordered some of the jasmine tea to accompany this oral delight.

I watched some more TV series on the IFE until it was time for dinner a couple of hours later.

Dinner:

Starter:

Fresh seasonal fruit

Main Courses:
Grilled sea bass with white wine cream sauce, rosemary potato, French beans and cherry tomato

Stir-fried beef with crispy egg noodles and kailan

Abalone and Chinese mushroom congee served with spring onion pancake

Dessert:
Raspberry tart

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines and Cookies:

The fruit was lovely and fresh and went well with my Krug that I had started to consume again.
I decided to go with the beef option which was very interesting and tasty although the crispy noodles were a little odd. More champagne flowed during this course. I had promised myself some of the possum wine for this course but was enjoying the bubbles way too much.

Yes I still found room for the raspberry dessert and some more champagne of course.

I started the last in the series of TV programmes I was watching and the IFE system warned me that I didn’t have enough time left in the flight to view it. This was a neat feature and prompted me to listen to some music instead. ^

After being sufficiently stuffed a second time I headed to the loo to disengage from this royal fantasy and emerge again in my civvies. Yes there was only half an hour to go before landing and the end of a superb flight in the pointy end of a plane in the very capable hands of the lovely CX crew.

We landed and 19:20 and made a long taxi up to the gate. I headed to immigrations and although there was a long queue it seemed to move quite quickly. I think I was in the baggage hall in around 10 minutes. The carousel started to come to life a couple of minutes later and my bag was one of the first few out.

I exited the hall and headed off to catch the Airport Express train into Kowloon.

At Kowloon I went upstairs to the Elements shopping complex and attempted to find a way into the newly opened W hotel.
It was not very well signposted and I had to ask a concierge in the mall how to get there. For future reference go to a map of the complex and locate the Shanghai Tang store. It is on the corner of an alley which leads to a car drop off point. On the right just inside the complex is a double door leading to the W hotel.

My bag was taken from me and I was directed to the 6th floor where I could check in.

More on the hotel in the next issue of this tome.

Passion, passion, passion. How else could one describe a very long flight on my favourite airline in First?

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Oct 1, 2008 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
Sounds like the latest leg was hell Moomba. Why do you put yourself through such torture? Thanks for such a great report on the flights.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Moomba,

Another fantastic insight into your world of travel. Your accounts of CX F make me extremley eager to try it now as so far i have only tried their J product.

I am also really looking foreward to your report on the HKG W hotel. I've heard good things about it and that it is going to be fantastic.

I myself just booked another trip and it is one that you could say is pretty much addiction rather than passion. LHR-DFW-MIA-SFO-MIA-DFW-LHR on AA. In Y for TATL and hopefully F for the internals! All to get me back to the precious EXP! Definately addiction at the expense of having access to something that i can say will be influenced by passion. If that makes sense.

Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Chris
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polk
Sounds like the latest leg was hell Moomba. Why do you put yourself through such torture? Thanks for such a great report on the flights.
Yes it is tough but someone has to do it.

Originally Posted by chris78cpr
Moomba,

Another fantastic insight into your world of travel. Your accounts of CX F make me extremley eager to try it now as so far i have only tried their J product.

I am also really looking foreward to your report on the HKG W hotel. I've heard good things about it and that it is going to be fantastic.

I myself just booked another trip and it is one that you could say is pretty much addiction rather than passion. LHR-DFW-MIA-SFO-MIA-DFW-LHR on AA. In Y for TATL and hopefully F for the internals! All to get me back to the precious EXP! Definately addiction at the expense of having access to something that i can say will be influenced by passion. If that makes sense.

Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Chris

I get you completely Chris. You are a kindred spirit I am sure.

I love CX F and J but may be a little biased as I have had a soft spot for them as they were the carrier on the return leg of my first ever longhaul flights oh so many years ago. I use them almost exclusively for my paid flights back to Oz and as I mentioned in an earlier post it feels like home when I settle into a CX J seat.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Part 15 HKG - MEL

The Photos

The W only opened 5 days earlier and it seems all the staff were eager to please to point of being overly effusive. It was almost sickening having so many people welcome me to the hotel and offering their assistance with anything I needed.

I checked in and was escorted to the lift and was then left to ascend to the 17th floor all on my own.
I found my room but could find nowhere to slot the key into. A staff member saw my confusion and explained that one of the keys was the access key which you just swipe past an electronic reader on the door. The other one, which I had in my hand first, was to slot into the contraption inside that activated the electricity supply to the room.

Once I managed to get in I was confronted with a very modern, high tech room with a very minimalist feel to it. This was my first stay at a W and was not really sure what to expect. I kicked off my shoes and started to explore.

The bathroom was semi-open to the room but could be closed off with two huge sliding doors. I was upgraded to a ‘fabulous’ harbour view room although the view was of the harbour it was not an island view. The hotel is an L shape and only the short side of the L has real island harbour views. The longer section has views of the harbour out past the port area over towards Lantau.

There was a nice plate of a trio of desserts and an apple as a welcome gift sitting on the table.

Soon after I arrived in the room the bell hop came up with my bag. He asked if I would like a tour of the room. He explained the lighting controls, electronic curtain controls, the ipod connection and the DVD and widescreen flat screen TV controls. He also showed me where the mini bar and other provisions were hidden.

The bathroom has a separate shower and bath and very odd laundry trough type arrangement that served as the wash basin. There was a separate mini TV at one end of the bath.

The bed was big and very inviting but I resisted as it was still only around 22:00 and I took a stroll down to the shopping centre for a while.
Sleep eventually took priority and I settled into the W signature bed for a very restful night.

The next day in my usually mattress hopping style I was to head over to the Sheraton Towers for another 1 night stay.

After checking out of the W I grabbed a taxi over to the ST, deposited my suitcase with the bell hop and proceeded to the Towers check-in on the 16th floor. Here I was assigned my upgraded Harbour View room and I wandered down to settle in.

After the luxury of the W the ST seemed to be a little tired and the room was somewhat smaller than the W. There was a welcome gift of a bowl of fruit and some cookies.

The ST, however has the very nice benefit of a lounge with great views that supplied afternoon tea with scones, quiche, sandwiches and fruit and an evening cocktail service with snacks both hot and cold and a free bar. Of course there is also the wonderful breakfast on the 18th floor included in the tower package.

I took advantage of the late check out from the ST. On checking out the agent asked what time my flight was. When I said it wasn’t until 19:30 he suggested that I have some afternoon tea in the lounge before heading out.

When I was done with the afternoon tea I headed down to the ground floor to catch a cab to Kowloon station. There I used the in-town check in and received my boarding pass to MEL as well as a lounge invitation to the Pier Business Class lounge. This flight was picking up the CX J purchased ticket that I had parked in HKG in early March. I parked the AONE in HKG at this time which will be picked up next month for my Asian odyssey.

I caught the airport express to the HKG and made my way through immigrations, where there were no queues and security which was equally lightly loaded.

A quick train journey and a hike had me at the Pier First Class lounge. The agent took down my BA Gold number and invited me into the lounge. I whiled away the time sipping on some champagne, watching the Olympics on TV and did a check of my emails on the PCs.

Around 18:45 I headed down to my gate that was at the end of the pier. I was able to board straight away and proceeded down the ramp.

Flight CX135 HKG - MEL Seat 12A
Aircraft: 330
Departure time: 19:15

Once on board I was offered champagne, OJ, water or a Cathay Delight. I will not disappoint you and say I chose something other than the champagne.

Hot towels were handed out and a choice of newspapers was also offered from the trolley. A flying time of 8 hours and 55 minutes was made by the captain who also gave some routing information. We pushed back at 19:17 and had a relatively short taxi before we powered down the runway and out over HK before turning back around.

After the belt signs were switched off the menus were handed out and the first round of drinks was made. With the drinks was a choice of olives or almonds. After the drinks another round of hot towels came out.

Next up was the dinner service.

Dinner:

Starters:

Fine smoked salmon with salmon roe and crème fraiche

Seasonal mixed salad served with balsamic vinegar

Main Courses:
Sauteed prawns with tomato fish sauce
steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom and rosemary sauce
swede mash, asparagus and baby carrots

Shanghainese braised pork balls
steamed rice with vegetables and pak choy

Spinach and ricotta cannelloni with sun-dried tomato and béchamel sauce, baked capsicum and zucchini

Cheese and Dessert:
Cambazola, Cheddar, Reblochon

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit gateau with passionfruit cream
served with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines:

Snacks:

Shrimp wontons in noodle soup

Barbecued duck in noodle soup

Ice Cream

Champagne:
Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic

White wines:
Grand Enclos du Chateau de Cerons 2006

Moon Mountain Chardonnay 2007

Weinguter Wegeler Rudesheimer Ber Rottland Reisling Spatlese 2002

Red Wines:
Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois 2004

Peter Lehmann Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Port:
Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2003

Aperitifs and Cocktails:
Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies:
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel’s, Canadian Club

Cognac:
Hine ‘Rare and Delicate’ Fine Champagne

Liqueurs:
Drambuie, Cointreau, Bailey’s Irish Cream

Beer:
International Selection

CX Signature Drinks:
Cathay Delight

Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon

Juices:
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks:
Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees:
freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte regular or decaffeinated

Teas:
Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine

Hot Chocolate:

I had the very nice smoked salmon starter with some more champagne. After this plate was taken away the crew came along with a tray with each of the main courses on it. I was able to see which one I would prefer and I chose the pork balls. These were quite nice and went well with the cabernet sauvignon.

I had some more of the delicious Cambozola and some cheddar with a glass of the port but skipped on the dessert.

During dinner I watched the last episode of the series I was watching on the JFK-HKG flight but did not have enough time to finish on that flight. After it was finished I set my seat into bed mode and grabbed some kip for most of the rest of the flight. I don't have any issues with the old CX seat and always manage to get sufficient sleep on them.

Around an hour and half out of Melbourne I woke up and was able to peek out at the pre-dawn sky through my window.

The lights soon came on in the cabin and a hot towel was passed around to each passenger in J.
After this breakfast drinks were offered including juice and smoothies. After this the trays were wet for breakfast.

Breakfast:

Starters:

Orange or apple juice

Mango and passionfruit smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit Yoghurt

Assorted Cereals

Main Courses:
Omelette with pan-fried pork sausage
back bacon, oven roasted potatoes
marinated red pepper and braised bean ragout

Chinese dim sum
served with chilli sauce

Wild mushroom and ricotta cheese frittata
with Hollandaise sauce
chicken sausage, asparagus and grilled Roma tomato

Bread Basket:
Assorted breakfast pastries and roll served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee:

I stared with the smoothie which I always enjoy. The breakfast trays came out with the fruit plate on them.
After these were consumed and the plate removed the FAs offered cereal and yoghurt. I declined this option and waited until the hot mains were offered.

I decided to try the frittata instead of my usual dim sum choice. It was a little on the dry side but the accompanying items were very nice especially the sausage and asparagus.

After the breakfast trays were removed another round of hot towels were handed out.

Soon enough we were sailing past Melbourne and doing a 180 degree turn to head back to Tullamarine airport.

We landed at 06:37 and taxied to our gate. The First passengers were let off first and then the curtains were opened and the business class section was able to disembark the plane.
I wandered down to immigrations where there was no one in the Aussie citizen’s queue.
I asked the agent where the automatic passport chip reader machine went and she explained that they were adding more of them in a closed off area to the side.
I went down to the baggage hall and waited around 10-15 minutes before the bags started to appear. The excess weight bags and First bags seemed to roll off first and then the Business class bags started to appear.

My bag came out soon enough and I was on my way out the door. But first customs needed to be negotiated. On seeing my form the guy sent me straight out the door without even wanting x-ray my suitcase. This was the first time I have entered MEL without having to queue up for the x-ray.
Out the door I went and over to the car rental counters in the car park to pick up my car for my 8 day stay in Melbourne.

The Photos
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Part 16 MEL - HKG - LHR

The Photos

After 7 nights at the very exclusive, invite only, Mum’s hotel it was time to head back to Tullamarine for my long trip back to the UK.

I arrived sometime just after midday, dropped off my rental car and headed over to the international terminal building.
Once inside I located the CX desks, which are about the middle of the terminal and was quickly checked in. I noticed my suitcase weighed a few more kilos than on arrival thanks to a new pair of shoes and some ‘oh god I haven’t eaten those for ages’ goodies that were making the trip home with me.

After check in I went through to the immigrations clearance and filled in the departure card. The airport was quite dead and there were no queues anywhere including passport control. I was quickly processed and then presented myself for security screening.
This again was quick although I was pulled aside for the random pat down and explosives swab. I did my usual routine of doing as asked but not once speaking to the people that did this.
After they had finished their little game I moved on and quickly attempted to get through the duty free store which one is forced to negotiate in order to get to the gates. This is of course not set up so that you can walk straight through; you have to dodge stands of merchandise and staff that seem experts at getting in your way.

Safely through the maze I headed straight up to the QF F lounge. I knew from past visits that the CX lounge was not all that brilliant at MEL and the QF lounge is one of the best in the OW network.

The agent took my BA Gold card and BP and said she would enter me manually into the system and to take a seat. She said she would bring my card over to me when she was done.
I found a space to park myself for a while and a little later the lounge agent came over and thanked me for my patience whilst handing back my card and BP. She also warned me to keep an eye on the time as the CX flights were not announced in the lounge.

I decided to grab a bite at the restaurant as this is one of the best parts of the QF F lounge these days. One of the staff sat me at a table and asked for my drink preference whilst handing me a menu. I asked for some sparkling water. Yes you heard correctly dear readers, I asked for water.

I can’t recall all the items on the menu and didn’t get a chance to photograph it. I did however notice the Yering Station wines on the drinks list. Seat2A seems to have a soft spot for their Cabernet Sauvignon so I thought I must choose a dish that goes with that tipple.

When the waiter returned I said I would have the duck with pappardelle pasta and a glass of the cab sav. The wine was brought to my table and poured and a bread roll was offered. A while later the duck arrived and was very nicely done with lots of flavour. The red was exceedingly delicious and I add my vote to Seat2A’s on the drinkability of this wine.

I declined the offer to peruse the dessert list as I did have a flight to catch on which I would be served two meals in the next 8 hours or so.
I did the rounds of the lounge which consists of lots of seating along the windows that look out on to the tarmac and one of the two runways. There is also a library section with a lot of coffee table type books on the shelves. There is a business area with desks and computers and the far end was the spa area. There is also a self service refreshment stand with coffee, tea, soft and alcoholic drinks and some nibble food. Of course should you want something else one just needs to ask one of the many wait staff wandering the lounge.

On my tour I noticed a familiar face who I walked up to and said ‘the people you meet in First class lounges’. It was my boss from the last job I had in Oz before moving to London 9 years ago. We had a good old chat until it was time for her to head off to BKK on JQ.

During our chat I downed another glass of the delicious cabernet sauvignon that one of the wait staff had brought over to me.

It was soon time to head down to the gate so I picked up my things and left the lounge thanking the agent on the way out. She said good bye and wished me a pleasant trip. One thing that time and time again strikes me is that the CX and QF lounge agents are so friendly and accommodating. The same can’t be said for most BA lounge staff I have come across, with the exception of the LGW F lounge crew, who just do their job but do not interact with the customers as much.

Anyway I was about to go down to gate wasn’t I? At the gate their seemed to be no sign of anything that looked like boarding might start anytime soon even though it was now the boarding time noted on my BP. I took a seat and waited. There seemed to be some very officious looking gate staff pouncing about during the wait but those gates did not open. Anyway at 14:20 we finally started to board with the left queue designated for elites, First and Business, the middle queue for Econ and the Right hand side for transit passengers who had flow in on this flight from ADL.

I joined the queue, was processed quickly and walking down towards my favourite 12A seat on the 333 aircraft.

Flight CX104 MEL-HKG Seat 12A
Aircraft: 333
Departure time: 14:40

Once on board my suit bag was taken from me and stowed for the flight. I then settled into my seat and was offered pre take off drinks of Champagne, Water, OJ and Cathay Delight. I went with a glass of bubbles of course. The trolley with newspapers was pushed past but I passed.

We pushed back at 14:43 with what seems like a quite light load. The front demi-cabin in business class was 2 rows and was completely full though including a family with 3 sub 8 year old children. I wouldn’t mind a buck for every time I heard the word ‘Daddy’ in the next 8 hours.

After take off the hot towels were handed out and the pre-lunch drinks round started. Instead of offering one of either the olives or almonds the FA was handing out one of each to each passenger. I didn’t complain and asked for champagne.

After the drinks service the luncheon began with the trays being set with the nice purple tablecloths.

Lunch:

Starters:

Smoked duck breast and prosciutto wrapped feta
Mixed salad with pepper and tomato
served with sesame soy dressing

Main Courses:
Grilled beef fillet with red wine thyme jus
sautéed kipfler potatoes and beans

Braised ling fish with bean curd skin and water chestnut
steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables

Chicken korma
yellow dhal aloo gobi and pilaf rice

Spinach and ricotta ravioli with chunky tomato and basil sauce

Cheese and Dessert:
King Island Surprise Bay, Stormy washed rind, Heritage True Blue

Fresh seasonal fruit

Flourless chocolate cake

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines:

Champagne:
Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic

White wines:
Grand Enclos du Chateau de Cerons 2006

Moon Mountain Chardonnay 2007

Red Wines:

Port:

Aperitifs and Cocktails:
Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies:
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel’s, Canadian Club

Cognac:

Liqueurs:

Beer:
International Selection

CX Signature Drinks:
Cathay Delight

Pacific Sunrise

Juices:
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks:

Coffees:

Teas:
Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate:

The trays were placed down with the starter and salad on them and an offer of various breads was made. I can’t resist CX garlic bread an asked for some of that to go with my meal. I enjoyed the starter but the sesame dressing on the salad was not so much to my liking. All of which was washed down with more of the Deutz.
After the salad plate was whisked away the FA came out with a trolley showing all the mains on offer. I chose the korma and asked for a glass of the chardonnay to accompany it. The korma was OK but nothing stellar and little on the mild side for my liking. It was tender and juicy though filled the hole.
When the offer of cheese came out I asked for some of the King Island Surprise Bay and the Heritage True Blue and a glass of port.
Anyone who knows KI cheeses will attest to the fact that some of the best Aussie cheese can be found from this small island between Victoria and Tassie. Perhaps it was the altitude or temperature or just over active nostalgia but the cheese did not wow me like I remembered from days gone by.
I declined the offer of the very nice looking chocolate cake but I was full up to pussy’s bow.

After the remains of the dinner were taken away bottles of water were delivered, the lights went out and most passengers succumbed to a post lunch slumber or watched the IFE programming.

I watched a movie and drifted in and out of consciousness until the lights again came up and the refreshment service was offered. Hot towels made the rounds again at this point before our trays were once again adorned with the signature purple tablecloths.

Refreshment:

Starter:

Fresh seasonal fruit

Noodle Soup and Savouries:
Roast duck in noodle soup
served with chilli sauce

Fried rice with dried scallops, chicken and abalone sauce in lotus leaf

Meat pie
with chicken skewers and pea mash

Dessert:
Ice Cream

Selected Pastries

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines:

A drinks round was made and I asked for some orange juice (I still had a long way to go before I was home). The tray with fruit plate was placed before me and my glass was refilled. After I had consumed the fruit the savoury items were offered from the trolley. I decided to go with the meat pie with chicken skewers. It was quite an odd combination but was none the less tasty. I declined any further food and drink and made myself ready for landing.

Just prior to landing one of the crew reminded me to collect my suit on exiting the plane.
We landed at 22:30 and made another long taxi up to the gates.
I grabbed my suit and waited as the First passengers left the aircraft and then proceeded out of door 1L.

I made a beeline for the Wing First class section where again my BA Gold card gained me admittance without so much as a blink of any eyelid.

In the lounge I grabbed a shower to freshen up for the next and longest leg of this particular journey. Once refreshed I grabbed glass of sparkling water and stood and people watched over the ledge of the lounge that looked down over gate 1 and 2.

A while later the lounge cleared out a little as the first of the two overnight LHR flights was called. I asked for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and sipped on that until it was my time to go down to the gate. I was able to keep an eye out and watch the gate to see when I needed to go down. As people started to go down the ramp I made my way out of the lounge and down to the gate. By the time I go there the queue on the Business / First side had disappeared and I was able to head straight up to the counter where my passport was checked and my BP scanned. I then made my way down to the 747 and to the upstairs cabin.

Flight CX255 HKG-LHR Seat 82K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 00:35

On board the usual and now very familiar to those of you that fly vicariously with me, routine was made. My suit taken, a drinks round made with champagne, orange, water and Cathay Delight, and the newspaper trolley made the rounds. I declined a paper and went with a Cathay Delight this time, just to throw you off the scent.

We pushed back at 00:37 and were soon making our way out over Hong Kong bound for London a short 12 hours and 40 minutes away.

My notes on this flight consist of a while 2 lines in my note book so this one will be short and sweet.

After take off the hot towels came out and the menus were handed out as well. The passenger next to me declined any offer of food and went straight to sleep. I decided I didn’t want to go to sleep too soon as it would mess up my clock for our early arrival into London.
I perused the menu to see what was in store for me on this flight.

Supper:

Starter:

Seasonal mixed salad with roasted duck breast served with sesame soy dressing

Main Courses:
Stir-fried beef with assorted mushroom in oyster sauce
steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Sautéed sea bass with puttanesca sauce
mashed potatoes with parsley
roasted pumpkin and French beans

Cheese and Dessert:
Cambocola, Cheddar, Reblochon

Fresh seasonal fruit

Tea and Coffee:

Pralines:

Light Meal:

If you would like to have a lighter meal before resting, or later in the flight, we have prepared a menu for you.

Mushroom cream soup

Mixed mesclun salad with tea smoked duck
served with a sesame soy dressing

Fresh seasonal berries

Cheese and crackers

Snacks:
Tandoori chicken skewer with garnish and raita sauce

Sautéed sliced pork with preserved vegetables and choy sum in noodle soup

Ice cream

Champagne:
Champagne Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne

White wines:
Aujoux Vire Clesse 2006

Allan Scott Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007

Red Wines:

Port:

Aperitifs and Cocktails:

Whiskies:

Cognac:

Liqueurs:

Beer:
International Selection

CX Signature Drinks:
Cathay Delight

Pacific Sunrise

Juices:
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks:

Coffees:

Teas:
Hong Kong style milk tea

Hot Chocolate:

I opted for the Light Meal option which was served all at once on the tray and the mushroom soup came along a little later in a mug.

After my meal I attempted to stay awake a little longer and watch some IFE entertainment. Bottles of water were distributed by the crew after the meal.
I eventually succumbed and set my seat to bed mode and was out to it for a good 6 hours or so. I did try to sleep longer but was woken by the two most obnoxious travellers I have ever had the misfortune to travel with. It was still around 3 am London time and these two were having a conversation and in now way trying to talk in hushed voices. The whole cabin apart from them was trying to sleep and they were jabbering away quite loudly. Once finished with their little chat one then proceeded to do her morning exercise by walking up and down the upstairs cabin with leaden feet that shook the floor as she walked past.

Around 90 minutes out the lights came on and the cabin was made ready for breakfast. Hot towels were passed around and a tray with water, orange juice, apple juice and smoothies was presented before us.

I chose the smoothie and had another look at the menu to see what I wanted to eat for breakfast.

Breakfast:

Starters:

Orange or Apple juice

Mango and passionfruit smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Assorted cereals

Main Courses:
Omelette with pork sausage and back bacon
roasted potatoes and braised bean ragout

Steamed chicken with black bean sauce on rice roll
and Chinese dim sum
served with chilli sauce

Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese frittata
cherry chicken sausage, new potatoes
creamed spinach and vine ripen tomato

Bread Basket:
Assorted breakfast pastries and roll
served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee:

Again the purple tablecloth ritual was made and the breakfast trays were placed before us with the fruit plate already in place.
After the plate was removed an offer of cereal and yoghurt was made. I declined both but did accept a cup of coffee and some orange juice.
A little while later the trolley appeared again and the main courses were presented for our deliberation. I chose the steamed chicken with black bean and was not disappointed.
It was very tasty and quite filling and set me up for the rest of what was to be a very long day at work.

The captain came on the horn at around 05:30 London time and informed us we had made good progress and needed to fly in circles for a while before landing so that we did not break the 06:00 curfew at LHR.
The breakfast trays were removed and the cabin made ready for landing. We circled for longer than expected and touched down at LHR at 06:09.
I said my goodbyes to the lovely crew, who BTW never failed to use my name when talking to me. The purser upstairs said goodbye to me by name.

I grabbed my suit bag and headed down the stairs and on the long hike to immigrations. Dear sweet Iris was behaving herself again this morning and did not even dilly dally in deciding I was me this time and opened her door to the UK without too much of a delay.

I made my way down to the baggage hall and waited. The carousel nominated for our flight was the same one as the earlier HKG-LHR flight and when I got there bags from that flight were still making the rounds.
Soon enough our bags started to appear and my suitcase was amongst the first after the over weight and First bags appeared.
I headed out through customs and made my way to the AA arrivals lounge by 06:30. Here I handed over the invite that had been printed oh so many hours ago at MEL and grabbed a shower a juice and an apple before heading down to the HEX.

This time I will not use my usual phrase as it was the HEX and a taxi that got me home and not the usual two tubes. That just seemed like too much of a chore with my suit case and a suit bag and my backpack to lug around.

There you have it another little trip around the world by Moomba done in the style in which he has become oh so addicted.

The Photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.