24MAR
AF185
777-228ER F-GSPT
HKG-CDG
Seats 3EF
Scheduled departure 23h35
Scheduled arrival 06h20 +1
Gate 64

So I start the return portion of this trip by saying Hong Kong is magnificient. It’s enormous, intriguing, but not overwhelming, at least for me. Can’t wait to go back !

To get to the HKG airport we took the high speed train. What is interesting is that in town at the station, you can actually check-in for your flight. Since we were early we were not able to use this option but we were wondering how baggage was transported to the airport (and under what kind of secure conditions) ?

Air France used (uses?) area H for check-in. Check-in was smooth and all the customer service standards were respected (handling agents). I was on a separate ticket for my connecting flight back to the US and the agent was knowledgeable enough to know how to connect the two records and through check my baggage and issue the two boarding cards (trust me, not all of them know).

The terminal is quite nice, although the lighting is a little dull, even for the evening. This is for my friend David who loves Popeye’s, so each time I see a Popeye’s around the world I take a picture for him

Terminal view :

On the way to the lounge, which is not too close to gate 64, so we were politely informed to provide sufficient time to access the gate.

A real AF lounge, in the now old style … there were 3 Apple computers and showers available.

The food selection was appropriate, there were even hot appetizers, regularly stocked by Gate Gourmet staff. These cold / hot appetizers and some haagez dazs ice cream held me over until the flight. The one negative aspect of the lounge was that upon arriving, the flight crew of the Kenyan Airways flight occupied a good chunk of it ! I know it is probably an agreement between the two airlines, but I still found it to be a little “kitsch”.

Boarding must have started early because it was already underway when we arrived, 10 minutes prior to the time marked on the boarding card.

What a beauty, no ?

We were properly welcomed on board at door 1 of the aircraft. How I wished I had been traveling in Premiere ! Hehe. This aircraft is fitted with the THIRD version of the NEV seats : a whole bunch of little things improved : better placement of the amenities kit allowing for 2 spots for seat control, one on the arm rest and one on the inside of the seat so when you’re sleeping you don’t have to sit up to change the position of your seat … an actual foot rest … the exterior arm rest reclines as your seat reclines to provide extra “width” and allow you to sleep on your side … 175 degree angle, almost horizontal … overall better mechanics.

Departure was indeed 10 minutes early due to headwinds. A good 13h of flying time expected tonight.

Again due to the departure time I was expecting the slightly shortened meal service of “supper”, but alas it was the full “service tradition”, hey no problem for me !

Choice of hors d’oeuvre :
Duck foie gras served with salad (I think you’ll find foie gras on every AF flight in Affaires!?)
OR Grilled scallops with mixed salad

Choice of main courses :
Grilled tournedos of beef served with mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and French green beans
OR
Grilled fillet of gouper with herbs accompanied by potatoes au gratin and broccoli
OR Plat du jour : Mongolian pork : sautéed and then gently simmered. A classic sauce brings a sweet touch to this dish partnered with steamed rice and zucchini (the plat du jour is pictured)

Our special selection of cheese (types not précised)

Assortment of desserts : mango tartlet, chocolate coconut bavarois, sherbet served with cookies, choice of fresh fruit … sorry, not photos of the dessert, there was turbulence and we could not for the life of us get a decent photo hehe.

Espresso is served at our bar Espace

Buffet : asian noodles, sandwiches, basket of fruit, ice cream

BREAKFAST :
Fruit juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh fruit, cereal yogurt
Fresh bakery selection, breakfast pastries, butter and preserves
Choice of main courses : omelette served with bacon and mushrooms
OR Crepes with apples and cinnamon … mushrooms, no thank you, crepes please ! The crepes however, needed some kind of sauce, they were quite dry.

Wine list :
Champagne : Deutz Brut Classic
White Bordeaux : Graves Chateaux de Chantegrive 2006 Leveque
Red Rhone Valley : Cotes du Rhone Villages Cairanne “La Perdendaille” 2006 Les vins de Vienne
Red Bordeaux : Saint-Estephe Chateau les Ormes de Pez 2004 Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel

As I have said in previous reports, the service was neither exceptional neither bad, typical Air France service, which for me is OK ! I don’t need someone looking over me each time ! That said, our glasses were kept full and the service proceeded at a good pace, not too fast, not too slow.

The NEV3 seats are quite nice … when you’re well settled 13h of flying time goes by very quickly. We arrived in Paris on time and on an actual jetbridge stand at the Satellite of Terminal 2E !

Merci again, Air France for yet another smooth flight.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:46 am

Great report, thanks!
Just to let you know, when checking in town, your baggage is transported on one of the many airport express trains (at the front - notice how there are windowless carriages).
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:54 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Great read. I always enjoy that AF consistently offers foie gras as one of the choices for appetizers and an assortment of choose what you want desserts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.