18MAR
AF106/CZ784
A340 F-GLZM
CDG-CAN
Seats 7A/B
Scheduled departure 23h15
Scheduled arrival 17h55
Gate E70

Let me start by saying that leaving CDG late at night is much more calm than during the day ! There are fewer departures and passengers in connection and it is noticeable. Check-in at the business class zone was painless although we noted that the check-in agent never verified if we had visas for entry to China. Our flight was to depart from the satellite of Terminal 2E, otherwise known as S3 among the staff. We took the automated subway-like shuttle and settled in the lounge until boarding. While the new satellite is new and big, the lounge is a different story. I prefer smaller intimate lounges and find the new Affaires lounge to be too big and impersonal, although it does “look” nice. It was properly and constantly stocked.

When we arrived at the boarding gate boarding was already underway and we decided to wait towards the end. It can be entertaining to see people muscle their way to board. What’s the point ?

F-GLZM is a 36J 236Y version (vs. 30J-261Y) which has one row of J just behind door 2 and we had the fortune of being in seats ; we knew we would be comfortable. The end of boarding was calm even though the cabin crew had to recount their famous headcount. Pushback was on time (again proof that CDG is quieter for the late departures) and we were on our way for this 11h30 flight.

I was surprised to see that the full “service tradition” was to be served this evening, as opposed to a “supper”, which has 1 hot dish choice less.

Choice of hors d’oeuvre :
Duck foie gras terrine, gingerbread and onion marmalade with Sultana raisins
OR Parmesan cheese cream with tomato chutney accompanied by rosemary focaccia

Choice of main courses :
Filet of cod complemented by scallion vinaigrette, Chinese-style sautéed vegetables and basmati rice (the cod and rice were a tad dry)

OR Chinese specialty, recipe created by South Beauty : Chinese-style pork with bell peppers and rice (I just noticed now the bell peppers were really bak-choy, ok by me since I don’t care for peppers)

OR Plat du jour : Fillet of duckling with caper sauce accompanied by buttered broccoli and carrot puree

Our special selection of cheese : camembert, comte, Sainte-Maure … this is proposed at the same time as the main course … I have mixed feelings on this. On one had it speeds up the service but on the other hand at a normal French dinner table cheese is a separate course served separately !

Assortment of desserts : lemon meringue shortbread pie, coffee croquant, sherbet served with cookies, choice of fresh fruit … I always like the desserts on Air France, often times I take one of each hehe … they are a cultural contrast to the single choice of ice cream sundaes.

Espresso is served at our bar Espace

BUFFET : a snack buffet will be made available at the bar. Asian noodles, sandwiches, miniature pastries, basket of fruit and Haagen Dazs ice cream

DRINKS :
Champagne : Deutz Brut Classic
White Bordeaux : Graves Chateaux de Chantegrive 2006 Leveque
Red Rhone Valley : Cotes du Rhone Villages Cairanne “La Perdendaille” 2006 Les vins de Vienne
Red Bordeaux : Saint-Estephe Chateau les Ormes de Pez 2004 Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel

Meal service was typical of that experienced on other Air France flights, in a way that I like. It did not linger, the pace was appropriate (for me at least) and the Purser serving our side was warm and polite … not overbearing. Our glasses remained full and we never felt like we had to call on anyone for anything. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see two of the main courses be Chinese-style dishes, very appropriate for the destination. I wasn’t really expecting Air France to concentrate on that.

After dessert and tea we settled in for some shut eye. I could barely stay awake through one film … next thing I woke up and there was only 2 hours of flight time left !!! This is also a testament to the difference between the original NEV seat and the NEV2 seat. I didn’t even get to have any Haagen Dazs lol. Although the seat is not completely horizontal, when you’re settled comfortably you never see 11h30 go by so quickly !

BREAKFAST
Fruit juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh fruit, cereal yogurt
Fresh bakery selection, breakfast pastries, butter and preserves
Choice of main courses : Scrambled eggs with shellfish cream sauce and emmental cheese OR crepes with pear and chocolate, apple and double cream … EEK shellfish cream sauce !? Crepes please !

The end of the flight was uneventful, what more can one ask.

I was surprised to find out that we did not have to remain seated until authorities gave the ok to disembark. I had asked a flight attendant about that and she admitted she was not aware of that procedure. I do know from experience it is the procedure in Shanghai and Beijing though , at least it was that way last year !

I was quite impressed by the Guangzhou terminal … far more modern than most facilities in the United States … except the baggage claim area. The baggage belts were quite congested and the line to clear Customs got so long that at one point I think the authorities just let everyone through !

Departure hall (headed to the Novotel for the night)

A nice quiet flight in Air France business class.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:46 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
It's always a pleasure to read about your AF reports. Thanks for sharing.^
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:57 pm

Thanks for an interesting trip report. Yep uneventful is good.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
The eggs with shellfish cream sauce is absolutely delicious. It's certainly nothing to be afraid of. The flavour is quite delicate and not "fishy" at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.