Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Category 1 Hilton Honors Properties: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I got a Cat 1 redemption voucher and would like to get some recommendations for a decent property anywhere in Europe.

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Good Luck!!! While I am not certain, and with the possible exception of Scandic hotels the last Cat 1 hotel was the Wembley Plaza around London and that is now a Cat 2 so choices might be limited.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I qoute the msg I got from HHOnors customer services:

This certificate will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue and then you can try to find availability on points for this category hotel within these 12 months. You have enough points for a Category 1 hotel (10,000 points) but we have no Category 1 hotels in the UK (the majority of our Category 1 hotels are in the Nordic region but we have a few in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands).

I thought that Nordic is included!!
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:24 am

Programs: LH FTL, KL Platinum, AB Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
Some of the Scandic hotels are very nice.
I suggest you go to Turku in the southwestern tip of Finland. Turku is surrounded by a wonderful archipelage (hundreds of islands) with beautiful nature.
The hotel is new and the service of staff is impeccable.

Bastiaan
Old Dec 9, 2003, 9:43 am
Suspended

Just burned 10000 points for the Hilton Vienna Danube some weeks ago.

Nice property, although a 10 minute Tram ride to the city center.

Two properties in Germany are indeed Cat. 1 as well, Dortmund and Nuremberg, the latter famous for the X-Mas market, definitely worth a visit right now.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:

</font>

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I will be spending one night (Staurday, 20 December) in Vienna. The plan was to burn 10K points on Bristol Hotel (CAT4 Starwood) with high chance of an upgrade being a Platinum member.

Now, since you brought this up. I'm thinking to change my mind and switch to the Hilton Vienna Danube. But I'm not really sure as this is my first visit to Vienna and I don't have much time to waste on transportation. Will be spending about 36 Hrs only.

Will think about it. Any advices are much appreciated..

Thanks to you all for the help.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dabbagmm:
The plan was to burn 10K points on Bristol Hotel (CAT4 Starwood) with high chance of an upgrade being a Platinum member.</font>
The Bristol is one of the spectacular hotels in Europe and a bargain in Starwood as a category 4. Some of the upgraded rooms are stunning, particularly on the top floor. The Hilton (and most Starwoods) are in a completely different category. I usually stay at the Imperial but in some ways the Bristol is better (cosier and charming). The Hiltons in Vienna are very good for what they are, but not 10% of the Bristol experience.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:04 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dabbagmm:

But I'm not really sure as this is my first visit to Vienna and I don't have much time to waste on transportation. Will be spending about 36 Hrs only.
</font>
The Bristol is definitely in a great and central location. If transportation is your only concern, you are safe in Vienna with
- excellent public transport
- many short walks
The Hilton won't be a problem for your short time there.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Dec 10, 2003, 6:28 am
Suspended

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I will be spending one night (Staurday, 20 December) in Vienna. The plan was to burn 10K points on Bristol Hotel (CAT4 Starwood) with high chance of an upgrade being a Platinum member.

Now, since you brought this up. I'm thinking to change my mind and switch to the Hilton Vienna Danube. But I'm not really sure as this is my first visit to Vienna and I don't have much time to waste on transportation. Will be spending about 36 Hrs only.

Will think about it. Any advices are much appreciated..

Thanks to you all for the help.
</font>
In this case, I would save my HH voucher.The Bristol is right in the city center and it seems to be a better deal than the Hilton !
Old Dec 16, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I will be staying at the Nuremberg Hilton this week for 3 days. Availability for the CAT 1 award was no problem.

I understand it's a little far from the city center though.

Looking forward to the Christmas Markets.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:

</font>
Yes, the Hilton Danube is a nice hotel. Friendly staff. They also have a free shuttle bus to the Hilton on The Ring in the city.
I understand that they have a special taxi/limo agreement from to Schwechat airport. However, I am not sure about this, had a rental car and parking was free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.