Wiki Posts
Search

Gift Certificate Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Gift Certificate Question

I know gift certs are officially not allowed, but they generally post fine. Now I've got a question about doing it remotely. I'm thinking about really drawing on the aa deal to stock up on gift certs for a particular restaurant that is not local to me but which is a favorite when I'm in one city. However, I'd have to do it over the phone, which is frustrating. Do you think that this would work or do you think that I'm likely to get screwed out of the miles because of the way in which they'll process the transaction over the phone?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:33 pm
SST

In order to have this work reliably, I think you'd have to either make a deal with them to process several different amount gift certificates on the same day, or call back on different days and have them send you one gift certificate each day. And make sure it's not a "dine once" restaurant. And make sure it's a place that reliably posts without you having to fax in. And make sure the manager doesn't figure out what you're up to, or he'll drop the program.....
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:21 pm

Wondering if this worked out for the OP or if anyone else has had successful Gift Certificate experiences to share. Trying primarily to figure out how to get allot of miles to post quickly and considered researching iDine + gift certificates. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2006, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Yes, in general it will work. Be aware of the monthly limits though!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Beware of trying to combine a meal and a gift cert on the same airline at a once-a-month joint. Once, although I specifically requested the amounts be combined into one credit card charge, I was presented with separate slips, run through the same card, to sign.

Otherwise, gift certs have worked really well. I never saw anywhere that they are "forbidden" for Rewards Network credit?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; DL, BA; SPG Gold
I just learned about buying gift certificates with idine. I told the waitress that I wanted all the gift certificates on one bill and if she could not do that, then to come back to me before she charged any of them. Surprisingly, she didn't seem surprised at my request.

Also, I purchased some gift certificates from a chain restaurant over the phone and they sent the certificates to me. Opps...the certificate states that I must use the certificates at that location only. Didn't really want to do that, but fortunately I didn't get much in the certifcates since this was the first time I tried it.

Another thing, make sure that the certificates are good for a certain time period. In some states, certificates have to be valid for a certain number of years. However, some restaurants and stores are getting around the law by using "gift cards" which are not gift certificates. Either the Capital Grill or Smith & Wollensky gift cards start decreasing in value after 6 months if not used. (these are not on idine in my neighborhood, but I have bought them as gifts in the past.)
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:55 am

Location: WashDC - AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Cal Tort Burrito Elito
I ordered a couple of gift certificates from a Melting Pot restaurant if Florida over the phone on Wednesday. They asked me to fax my info to them to authorize the credit card. They said the certs were good at any Melting Pot. I hope that is in fact the case.

My online statement for the credit card doesn't reflect the charge yet so I'm hoping there's not some sort of problem. I'll give it to Monday to post and call if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.