Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Most expensive economy flight / cost per mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Given the sad state of the airline industry and the fact that traffic levels are still low, I'm continually amazed how airlines fail to grasp the basic facts of economics. Thus rather than reduce fares to attract custom they increase them in a vain attempt to make up for lost revenue.

A case in point. I commute from SFO to SBA (Santa Barbara) weekly on a United flight operated by Sky West. The distance flown is 262 miles (524 miles for the round trip).

The cost has increased by 25% in the last month or so and is now $572.5 !!. This is for economy class.

By my calculation this works out to a staggering $1.09 per mile !.

I'm interested if anybody can beat this for an economy fare ?.
Old May 12, 2003, 6:37 pm

The point is, I really don't think many people will buy such short distances... at least not as a single r/t. Not even businesses.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old May 13, 2003, 9:34 am

This is a game played here periodically, and it's pretty easy to top each horror story with another, if you're familiar with the odd tail ends on UA. TUS-PHX on UA (mainline, by the way, not even UAX, which tends to be more expensive per mile) is 110 miles and about $245 one way in B, $200 one way even in M class, or roughly twice the cost per mile of your already outrageous result.
Old May 13, 2003, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
It's all about time.

While LAX and SBA are close "as the crow flies", the crow is not snarled in I-5/I-405 traffic (still amazes me it takes seven hours to drive SFO-LAX). So if you don't want to shoot an entire day driving to and from your destination, you can fly... Just have to pay the piper.

As an aside, how many folks fly LAX-SBA outside of weekend leisure travel? I imagine weekday loads would be similarly pitiable if they charged $50 instead of $500, so they probably charge an arm-and-a-leg to cover the costs of providing the service during the week.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 05-13-2003).]
Old May 13, 2003, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Yet, LAX-LHR a month ago was $500 - purchased 5 days before... Go figure on ANY carrier other than B6/WN getting a clue on pricing.
Old May 13, 2003, 9:50 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

It's SFO. I believe Southwest flys SBA to San Jose.
Old May 13, 2003, 11:26 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I think one of the reasons UA keeps TUS-PHX and SBA-SFO and SNA-LAX fares outrageous is to avoid diluting connecting fares. i.e. if SBA-SFO was really cheap, then UA wouldn't be able to control its fares to other destinations from SBA, because the SBA-SFO fare would just be summed with SFO-XXX fare - and therefore all the SBA fares would be based on SFO fares.

This used to be a huge problem in AUS, before Frontier started flying to DEN. AUS-DEN was a high fare route. But it was really cheap to combine an AUS-DFW and DFW-DEN flight because of low fare competition in both markets, and hence AUS-DEN suddenly became a low fare market.
Old May 13, 2003, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA
I paid last october $ 498 for DEN-ASE (~120 miles).. (okok... the whole itineary was longer, but I couldnt take the rest of the flight..) so unintentionally I paid somewhere around $4/mile.
Old May 13, 2003, 2:12 pm

Well, you have my competitive juices running now. IAD-CHO one way in economy is $334 for 77 miles, fare basis BUA, or $4.33/mile, roughly 2x my TUC-PHX example above, and 4x the original example that prompted this post.
Old May 13, 2003, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
SFO-MOD is about $600 walkup each way.
Old May 14, 2003, 3:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ryan754:
SFO-MOD is about $600 walkup each way.</font>
Nope, as of today, walkup fare is $316 incl tax for 78 miles (BUA), so it's a good example, but not the winner
Old May 14, 2003, 6:56 am

ORD-MSP is almost always insane. It currently prices just under $1000 for a flight of just over 300 miles each way. (And this with 3 airlines competing with hourly flights on the route!) MDW-MSP can usually be found for less than half of that...

Old May 14, 2003, 7:34 am
SST

SFO-ACV (Eureka, CA) is about 275 miles and regularly prices out to $700+ for a 3-day flight, and about $540 for a 14 day flight. This is the biggest ripoff I experience, and I've driven the miserable drive three times in the last year just to avoid it. It's usually cheaper to go to LA the day before, spend the night, then buy an LAX-ACV ticket. If you plan it carefully (lotsa luck) you can get three business trips (2 to LA) for the same price as one overnight to ACV. Pure unadulterated robbery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.