Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Bring your own booze on international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Since United has eliminated free booze in coach from a lot of international flights, I am sure many people who need to get to sleep or at least zone-out are going to start bringing their own on-board. I know its against the rules, but I bet its going to happen. A discrete little pour of Rum into my Coke (which I may just as well carry on) is not going to bring down the plane is it?

You gotta self-medicate somehow on those longhauls.

Any rules against booze minis in your carryon bag as far as the TSA is concerned?

How is United going to keep people from using the duty free booze in-flight?

Last edited by bwi1k; Dec 21, 2004 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2004, 9:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bwi1k
Since United has eliminated free booze in coach from a lot of international flights, I am sure many people who need to get to sleep or at least zone-out are going to start bringing their own on-board. I know its against the rules, but I bet its going to happen. A discrete little pour of Rum into Coke (which I already carry on) is not going to bring down the plane.
You gotta self-medicate somehow on those longhauls.

Any rules against booze minis in your carryon bag as far as the TSA is concerned?

How is United going to keep people from using the duty free booze in-flight?
I have actually been on more than one flight where kokonutz mixed Black Russians during takeoff from his personal stash of minis. Apparently he couldn't wait for his cocktail.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
I've pre-mixed margaritas and put them in a waterbottle. TSA/FA's have never questioned it since they look vaguely like gatorade.

2 Shots tequila (1800 or better)
1 shot triple sec
1 shot gran marnier
4 shots marg mix
OJ to taste.

Yummy and intoxicating. All you need is a glass of ice.

Or you can freeze it the night before. They don't freeze solid, so I haven't had issues with bottles exploding.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I just order Pepsi with ice in it, drink it, then replace it with JgerMeister when nobody's looking. For dinner, I'd order water then replace it with Stoli. I'm a happy camper for the next 4 or 5 hours...
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:25 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
A CSR once told me the bottle couldn't have been opened previously, but otherwise could be carried on without a problem. Not sure that she was right or not, but that's what she said.

The TSA will have a problem if you try to bring something of more than ... hmm, 100 proof if I recall. I know they specifically forbid 151 rum It's the flammability they're concerned with.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
The TSA will have a problem if you try to bring something of more than ... hmm, 100 proof if I recall. I know they specifically forbid 151 rum It's the flammability they're concerned with.
Drat -- I was thinking of making Cherries Jubilee at my seat on my next international flight...
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I know I was not able to do that on Lufthansa - previously opened or not. For UA, they tell me it's technically not allowed, but they've always let me bring in my own stash. Well, happened only once.. the other time, I simply didn't say a word.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Drat -- I was thinking of making Cherries Jubilee at my seat on my next international flight...
How about marching down the aisle with Baked Alaska instead... that should make for an interesting "diversion."
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott, Hilton Gold. Delta Silver Medallion
I have to admit that I haven't been flying since October, but when UAL eliminated free alcohol in Coach?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by SeattlePilot
I have to admit that I haven't been flying since October, but when UAL eliminated free alcohol in Coach?
It is planned to take effect on all flights, other then Pacific operations, sometime in January.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There was a good article recently in Wine Spectator regarding BYOW(ine) in the air. According to the article, there are no specific FAA regulations against bringing and opening your own bottle of alcohol - it is left to each airline's discretion. UA (among other US-based airlines) does not allow any personal bottles. Only AA and Jetblue allow your own bottle (just 1), and for AA it's in F and J only, opened and served by the flight attendant.

From my personal experience on United, the purser was extremely displeased when my partner tried to open a bottle of Dow's vintage port (acquired as a bargain in a little liquor store in TN) to be share with rest of first class (slow down folks - it was only a 737 - 8 seater). She stopped us and gave us a nasty glare (in a playful yet firm way). However, she also gifted us a bottle of wine at the end of the flight for following her instructions.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Duty Free

You can bring those on and open them up during the flight!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Ultra-Super-Duper
Careful with flasks

I had one confiscated at CVG security - had flown with it for 8+ months and they finally got me. I have *not* had a problem bringing pints of Jameson or Jack onto flights, sealed or not. I will generally seal them, though, and open them (and mix my own 3 parts whiskey 1 part coke) when the flight attendant comes around.

I get some strange looks from other passengers sometimes, but most of the time they ask me for a nip.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
Ah, BYOB on UA flights...my favorite topic no matter how many times it comes around!

Yes, as the pricess and wingless both know, I am an avid BR minis-carrier! Far from ever being stopped, often when FC FAs see this they will even 'gift' me a few to replenish my supplies!

Duty Free
You can bring those on and open them up during the flight!
On ONE flight which happened to be on my birthday, i was flying trans-A with some friends and they bought me a bottle of XO from on-board duty free. The business class FA then opened and poured (eventually the entire bottle) for us. Yum.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bwi1k
The TSA really doesn't care about minis (with the possible exception of 151 as posted above) in your carry-on. Earlier this year I did a stint at Brown-Forman and they loaded me up with minis to take home. I had over 20 minis in my laptop bag and the only comment from TSA was "Now that's the way to travel!". They did hand search my bag (can't say that it was the minis that triggered the search) but didn't really seem concerned with what type of alcohol was in the minis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.