Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

AA's YUP fares -- get SC's for first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Does anyone here have experience with the SCs you get on an AA "YUP" fare?

I assume it posts into QFFF with SCs for first class, even if the flight was a two class (ie you get an A ticket but what seems to be a J seat, eg on a 763)?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aura
Does anyone here have experience with the SCs you get on an AA "YUP" fare?

I assume it posts into QFFF with SCs for first class, even if the flight was a two class (ie you get an A ticket but what seems to be a J seat, eg on a 763)?
On the 763s , they sell as business class internationally and "First" class domestically. Same seats regardless.

I havent used YUP fares but have used mileage upgrades which also book into A class, so expect that it would be the same. In these cases I have received miles and status credits for 1st class.

Now if you can get yourself a YUP fare on a flight > 2700 miles, you should nab yourself 150SCs. If it is 2700 miles or less, it would make no difference SC wise whether it posted as business or first

Dave
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:48 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Note that for flights less than 2700 miles, you get the same SC's for F or J. but you do get 1.5 x miles flown for points in F (and A) or 1.25 x miles flown for J (and D).
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:25 am
mgm

YUP fares that upgrade into First are supposedly done out of A class inventory, which in theory should credit as first class on your QF account. However, if you don't manage to get an upgrade at time of booking and try to standby at the airport then you are booked in whatever class the gate agent decides which could be F (highly unlikely), A, X and I've even heard of a "9" class for a cabin upgrade. Can't tell you how these other classes will post to QF - I rarely put U.S. domestic flights to my QF account.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:31 am

"YUP fares that upgrade into First are supposedly done out of A class inventory, which in theory should credit as first class on your QF account. However, if you don't manage to get an upgrade at time of booking and try to standby at the airport then you are booked in whatever class the gate agent decides which could be F (highly unlikely), A, X and I've even heard of a "9" class for a cabin upgrade. Can't tell you how these other classes will post to QF - I rarely put U.S. domestic flights to my QF account"

I thought that YUP fares can only be booked in A class; i.e. it is in reality a First Class fare rather than an upgraded economy fare. I always presumed this fiction of being an upgrade was only put forward to enable those who work for companies who have an economy class policy to be able to buy 1st tickets.

Dave
Old Jun 17, 2004, 9:49 am
mgm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I thought that YUP fares can only be booked in A class; i.e. it is in reality a First Class fare rather than an upgraded economy fare. I always presumed this fiction of being an upgrade was only put forward to enable those who work for companies who have an economy class policy to be able to buy 1st tickets.

Dave
You are correct as far as booking is concerned. However, if you don't get an upgrade at the time of booking then the class is left as Y. You can standby for an upgrade at the airport but like I said which class you get booked in if a seat is available is whatever the booking agent might decide/feel like. I'm just basing this on my experience of what happens at the airport when you standby for an upgrade, which I've done on YUP's, one*'s and discount Y with electronic upgrades. You can try to correct it at the time or after the fact (which is o.k. if you are an AAdvantage member - not sure what luck you would have trying to justify this with QF given that in reality it is a Y fare).
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:01 am
mgm

Just re-read what I said and realized it wasn't clear. If you cannot get an upgrade through YUP at time of booking then what you are sold is the Y fare. This is what you can then try to get upgraded at the airport.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
I know the AA YUP fare issue has been discussed in many a Thread here, so thought I should post this in a Thread that may be old but at least has the most appropriate title for my post !

Anyway... Just saw this on the OW Forum :-

Possible A class fare code changes at AA/YUP from A class or P???

Anyone know yet whether this has/will result in the 'YUP fares get F SCs etc' loophole being closed ? Was soon to book and take advantage of this too. Darn !
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
I know the AA YUP fare issue has been discussed in many a Thread here, so thought I should post this in a Thread that may be old but at least has the most appropriate title for my post !

Anyway... Just saw this on the OW Forum :-

Possible A class fare code changes at AA/YUP from A class or P???

Anyone know yet whether this has/will result in the 'YUP fares get F SCs etc' loophole being closed ? Was soon to book and take advantage of this too. Darn !
Not an issue at the moment. AFP fares on AA all count as 1st class on the QFF accrual rates

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
But the YUP fare is a Y fare that books into A inventory, however the fare basis remains Y and if A is not available it books into Y inventory. It is not a discounted F fare (AA does sell those on some routes, often costing less than YUP, and that does have an F or A booking code). Rather confusing but the practical implication is that it is a simple matter of programming for Oneworld (non-AA) airlines to close this loophole, so far they have chosen to ignore it (probably because it is so low volume). But the precedent is that the loophole is eventually closed, as has happened several times in the past 5 years. Closing it has nothing to do with any other booking code changes (except it may increase the volume of the abuse, which is principally against BAEC at the moment as it is more lucrative than QFF for YUPs et al).
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
But the YUP fare is a Y fare that books into A inventory, however the fare basis remains Y and if A is not available it books into Y inventory. It is not a discounted F fare (AA does sell those on some routes, often costing less than YUP, and that does have an F or A booking code). Rather confusing but the practical implication is that it is a simple matter of programming for Oneworld (non-AA) airlines to close this loophole, so far they have chosen to ignore it (probably because it is so low volume). But the precedent is that the loophole is eventually closed, as has happened several times in the past 5 years. Closing it has nothing to do with any other booking code changes (except it may increase the volume of the abuse, which is principally against BAEC at the moment as it is more lucrative than QFF for YUPs et al).
I don't think it is quite that easy for the other airlines to just close it. From what I can tell, all that seems to go across is the Booking Class. When travelling on AA on an upgrade/yup fare, it goes across as A and QF credits as such. In the same manner, the annoying side is when upgrading on QF, it goes across to AA as U and so no miles automatically accrue even though it is a mileage earning trip. What it would need, methinks, is the AA system to send the details across based on the fare basis rather than the booking class

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
VIP upgrades on AA go across using the fare basis and not the booking class; they used to go with the booking class (and earn the higher credit) but it was reprogrammed about 2 years ago. A non-AA example of the same thing (fare basis being used instead of booking class) is on BA where domestic UK economy fares all use C as the booking class but it doesn't result in C credit on QFF. The various convolutions are rather mysterious, it seems to be a hodge-podge of special case processing, with a high error rate. Not sure any of this info is that helpful in predicting future credits except that it changes periodically so it isn't wise to plan upon it for future qualification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.