Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chairmans Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2003, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Chairmans Lounge

I know this info is kept hush hush by QF, but what is everyone's perception of what the requirements are for someone to be 'invited' by QF to become a member of the CL.

What additional benefits do you receive above Platinum?
Old Jun 7, 2003, 11:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Member of parliament, chairman or CEO of a major Australian company, or a person of influence whom QF needs to bribe. No amount of spend will qualify (I asked if AUD 1 million per year would get CL, and the answer was no). Benefit is priority over Platinums which means getting any upgrade desired (but no free upgrades -- on one flight I noticed a CL in Y!), separate lounge in Canberra (and access to the BA Premier lounges), marginally better service. I did ask someone I know who is CL but never flies QF (so not necessarily an authoritative source) and I concluded it really was worth very little. The real benefits are informal and available to non-CL travellers when merited. Having upgrade priority is worth nothing to me as I rarely upgrade (and never fly to Canberra).
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:12 pm

Also CL gets access to arrivals facilities and can bring a guest as well. Also two guests into First Class lounges I believe (at least QF/BA)
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Platinum arrival lounge access has been restored (confirmed at LHR last month); apparently it was withdrawn by mistake. Are there any other arrival lounges? I only know of LHR (which is very nice, esp. if you arrive early enough to get a massage booking).
Old Jun 7, 2003, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
number_6 there are Chairmans Lounges in more places than CBR - the one at SYD T3 is located between the QC East and West reception desks, the one in MEL at the top of the escalators to the QC - where you would turn left to go to the reception desk, there is a door immediately in front of you - it is there.

The one in BNE is located opposite gate 24 (I think, always forget my gate numbering at BNE). Sure they are elsewhere.

Dave
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:11 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Dave, gate numbering starts at 22 walking away from BNE QC. It is before Gate 22, just past the Travelex kiosk but on the RHS. As one would exect, just a frosted glass sliding door with keycard access slot.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Like I said, they are elsewhere other than CBR. You just need to know what to look for.

Dave
Old Jun 9, 2003, 6:16 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
My godfather was a CL member, back when he was CEO of Australian Chamber of Manufacturers. He hasn't been CEO for 10+ years and hasn't been flying much subsequently, but they only took it off him last year.

I remember him taking me into CBR CL, it wasn't much (akin to Platinum lounge in LAX) from my recollection. Of course, this was 15 years ago. Now he's jealous of me, I get to take him into QC (as he has dropped to a lowly Silver)
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:

a Benefit is priority over Platinums which means getting any upgrade desired (but no free upgrades -- on one flight I noticed a CL in Y!), separate lounge in Canberra (and access to the BA Premier lounges), marginally better service. I did ask someone I know who is CL but never flies QF (so not necessarily an authoritative source) and I concluded it really was worth very little. The real benefits are informal and available to non-CL travellers when merited. Having upgrade priority is worth nothing to me as I rarely upgrade (and never fly to Canberra).
</font>
I dont know what you mean by NO FREE UPGRADES.
Let me tell you that once inside the CL they do everything in their power to upgrade you for free.
even a person travelling with a CL will get any available b/c seat.
I have even seen people call the CL and get people in and upgraded.
Also you do not necessarily have to be someone of huge influence.
just someone who knows someone with influence.
I think that CL is much more useful than even Plat.
I have organised FF flights for Cl members and the premium desk do go out of their way to secure seats over a plat member.
Also you dont need to fly to keep status-it is almost a permanent status.
Also you get double status credits on every flight as you are in J(even of you book N)
it comes up J so you get the extra miles and status credits(to use as future status upgrades)

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited 06-10-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 5:28 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
Let me tell you that once inside the CL they do everything in their power to upgrade you for free.
I
</font>
My comment about "no free upgrade" for CL was for international routes. I suspect you are commenting on domestic routes. Obviously I don't know what QF policy is (I don't work for QF or wish to) but I have observed CLs to be in F, J and Y on various international flights. Often only 1 CL on board. This leads me to conclude that there isn't a free upgrade, though I suppose some CEOs might choose to fly Y and refuse an upgrade under some conditions (such as when traveling with the press). Clearly CL has priority over every single Platinum on board -- thus my own desire for an earned level above Platinum but below CL. CL will always exist as a good old boy network and QF needs that in order to stay in business.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:00 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
[BLet me tell you that once inside the CL they do everything in their power to upgrade you for free.
I think that CL is much more useful than even Plat.
[/B]</font>
Wrong, I regularly sit next to a CL member in Y, on a route where the J seats are rarely filled. I've also spied the manifest on a many a 767 whilst sitting in J (with empty J seats), and noticed CL members in Y. This is primarily on international routes (between SYD & AKL/CHC/WLG).

The extra baggage allowance is the same as Platinum, and on non-QF flights CL members get precisely the same reciprocal rights as any other OW Emerald Customer.

The real advantages are the slightly nicer lounges in Domestic, the poser-factor for those who like to flaunt it (but would be hosed down at the door of any decent club), and (presumably) the op-upgrade priority over Plat members on QF-operated flights.

AFAIAC, the only things missing from QF Platinum status are separate domestic lounges, and excess carry-on allowance. Other than that, it's all emerald to me....

Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:04 am

It is my observation that they also get international upgrades. usually confirmed before they get to the airport.
They also get WTplus on any BA flights even on free award tickets.(I think that plat gets that too)
I think an earned elite FF will always be more use to Qantas than a CL who travels little and expects much.
Qantas needs people who either put their hands in their pocket and pay for lots of tickets. or who spend big on their CC who intern pay for the points to Qantas.
either way they are getting actual $$$$$.

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited 06-10-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 2004, 7:21 am

A lot of them, like my uncle, are retired. He hung up his boots as the CEO of an Aeronautical firm (he sold the things that beep and stop executive jets flying into big rocks) in 1999, but every year they ring him up to essentially confirm he's still alive, and wave him back in.

He flys maybe 6 times a year now. But 1973-1999 he never flew less than 250,000 a year, all on QF and in F. He'd think nothing of crossing the Pacific three times in a week. The madman.

Bottom line: proven history of serious spending.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 8:08 am
Original Member

It is rare for an airline to show such loyalty to its former passengers ... usually it is heavy future spending that they are trying to influence, and don't care much about past spending (except as a predictor of future spend). Kudos to QF for taking care of their good old boys (though I rather suspect being in the aviation industry has something to do with it).
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:30 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I concur with tinkybelle. A previous boss of mine was CL and the three times I flew with him, our N boarding passes magically transformed into J passes after handing them in at the CL, even though I was an NB in those days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.