Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Guide: The best Swedish "räksmörgås", shrimp sandwich in Stockholm!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Hello!

Almost everyone in Sweden has tried a räksmörgås, which consist of toasted white bread, egg, shrimps, mayonnaise and lemon. Its a classical dish, but has veeeeryyy inconsistent taste depending on where you eat it, and believe me: You can eat it at many restaurants (or the Toast Skagen which is similar, but more "creamy").

Anywho, me and my father decided to try a couple of high-ranking Räksmörgås in Stockholm, which was listed by a big newspaper.

The reason why I think Stockholm-travellers should try it, is because I think it's a delicious dish and is probably not available outside of Sweden (The IKEA-version sucks!). If you have eaten it at your hotel or some small café, try it at one of these places and see the difference!

So, my recommendation for räksmörgås in Stockholm follows (100-170kr for a big one!):

1: Melanders Fisk, inside of "Söderhallarna", grocery market at Medborgarplatsen on Södermalm. The BEST. Big and packed with shrimps. The mayonnaise is what makes this the best. About 140kr.

2: Konstnärsbaren, Smålandsgatan 7 by Östermalms square. Toooo much shrimps! Otherwise splendid taste. About 170kr.

3: Tysta Marie, inside of Östermalms saluhall (market). Try the Toast Skagen here, not the Räksmörgås. Its superduperdelicous! About 180kr.

Outside of Köttbullar and other "Swedish" food, I definitely think that trying the räksmörgås and Toast Skagen will be a great experience!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I really want to thank you for your recommendations. I know this is an old post, but just know that someone tried this sandwich, and it is AMAZING. Thank you! Now if only I could find some in the states--or, you know, I could just go back and visit Stockholm again...
Old May 1, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I had a fantastic one at the Grand Hotel during afternoon tea - simply amazing. Afraid it cost a bit more than in the ones recommened by the OP at his places.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Thanks so much for this post. If I hadn't read it out of curiosity, I would have never know this sandwich existed. I am looking forward to trying one in Stockholm!
Old May 20, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Braniff
I had a fantastic one at the Grand Hotel during afternoon tea - simply amazing. Afraid it cost a bit more than in the ones recommened by the OP at his places.
Not to diminish a surely great experience, but I'd rate this sandwich as a kind of Scandinavian chili dog or taco that should be eaten in simple surroundings and with as fresh ingredients as possible.

Add a cold beer ( if possible go for modern Scandinavian microbreweries like the Norwegian Nøgne ø ( http://www.nogne-o.com/) and a glass of Akvavit and...bliss.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
Thank you for recommending this, I tried the räksmörgås at Melanders Fisk, and it was delicious, I would have never knew about if it wasn't for this post.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Is this an open or closed sandwich?

DD
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy
Is this an open or closed sandwich?

DD
Raksmorgas is always open, in Europe "closed sandwiches" tend to be rolls outside of Britain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.