Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

"Default Pre-Seating" in P-class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:06 pm
esv
Original Poster

Saw this on sassalesinfo, has anyone noticed this enhancement yet?

As from 03JUL07 passengers holding economy class tickets, for travel within Europe, will be default pre-seated 3 hours before departure.

It will not be possible for the passenger to change the seat on Internet, Self Service Machines, manual check-in or at gate, less than 3 hours before departure.

Passengers who want to choose their seat must check-in on Internet, Self Service Machines or manual check-in, more than 3 hours prior to departure.
In other words, if you have a P-class ticket and forget to OLCI the computer will put you in 31B and nothing can be done about it
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:10 pm

This is obviously hillarious. What could the reason be? As we all know the automatic seating mechanism is not that great
There are numerous situations when OLCI is not possible...
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Maybe it's a way to get people to use OLCI and/or get to the airport really early.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:12 pm

This makes no sense to me...

Any theories on plausible operational reasons for such a policy?

Does the the check-in agents spend too much time discussing seating options with pax as they are checking in?
I'm sure the same agents will love getting yelled for placing the EBG or *G in front of them in said 31B.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Service enhancement in SAS way?

I guess this will streamline the amount of work needed prior the flight. If you don't take any action then computer will assign you the seat and check-in doesn't have to deal with that. And as gate agents don't have to deal with seat changes any longer then it will save work there too. In the long run SAS will save quite much work. Good change!

From passenger point of view ... not a good change. Basically they are again cutting service by introducing their service enhancements but that is what some of us expected them to do.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:13 am

One reason might be weight and balance, sometimes the airline needs to move passengers due to balance-problems just before departure wich takes time and might irritate passengers.

Also I guess it is to save time....
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, AY Gold, BA Gold, TK Gold, ITA Executive Elite+, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by Balboa
One reason might be weight and balance, sometimes the airline needs to move passengers due to balance-problems just before departure wich takes time and might irritate passengers.

Also I guess it is to save time....
That's mainly in a small A/Cs like let's say a Q400. If they have a light load they can simply block seatrows to keep the balance - so for me that doesn't sound like a right excuse.

IMO it's just to make more people use the OLCI and the self-check machines to keep the lines minimum and maybe to be able to fire some more CSRs.

Let's see what will be the next enhancement - any guess?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:38 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
The main main main issue here will be for "groups" travelling together but with separate tickets. There is nothing in the system that binds them together so they will be spread out from 9B to 30E. Guess what will happen on-board? They will start to shuffle around, and expect to have their 30E traded for 9A and all of that crap.

For people that do not travel often it is not a big deal to have to buy water or a sandwhich. Sitting 20 rows apart is. Big time. A lot of older people still don't have computers at home, and OLCI isn't that well known.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by larsll
The main main main issue here will be for "groups" travelling together but with separate tickets. There is nothing in the system that binds them together so they will be spread out from 9B to 30E. Guess what will happen on-board? They will start to shuffle around, and expect to have their 30E traded for 9A and all of that crap.

For people that do not travel often it is not a big deal to have to buy water or a sandwhich. Sitting 20 rows apart is. Big time. A lot of older people still don't have computers at home, and OLCI isn't that well known.
I agree.

Another thing is that it isn't possible to OLCI when travelling with an infant. Later this month, me and Mrs. SK989 with our baby are flying SAS on separate tickets (Mrs. SK989's and babySK989's ticket are award tickets, mine isn't). SAS new policy thus means that we wont be seated together unless we manually check in at the airport at least 3 hours before departure!

I'm sure it has to be possible to manually override the pre-seating at C/I even when it's less than 3 hours to departure. Well, we'll se in a few weeks.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:52 am

Programs: SK*Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by Q400
Let's see what will be the next enhancement - any guess?
Maybe no seat allocation at all, since the Ryanair business model seems to take over . SAS will soon be nothing more than a flying version of commuter trains - faster at times, always more expensive...
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:59 am
esv
Original Poster

I wonder if they will implement this from airports outside Scandinavia? There's no such thing as OLCI for SAS flights from Germany, for instance. Will you still be able to choose a seat from the LH self-service kiosks, or will the SAS system just random assign a seat to everyone 3 hours before departure?

If so, that would be another major reason to choose LH over SK on M tickets...
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:13 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by esv
I wonder if they will implement this from airports outside Scandinavia? There's no such thing as OLCI for SAS flights from Germany, for instance. Will you still be able to choose a seat from the LH self-service kiosks, or will the SAS system just random assign a seat to everyone 3 hours before departure?

If so, that would be another major reason to choose LH over SK on M tickets...
You can check in on www.lufthansa.com, only issue is that it doesn't allow you to select seats. You can call Lufthansa check-in though. In theory for SEN, FTL and C only, but *G should give no hassle.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Another stupid 'enhancement' indeed!!

Originally Posted by SK989
Another thing is that it isn't possible to OLCI when travelling with an infant. Later this month, me and Mrs. SK989 with our baby are flying SAS on separate tickets (Mrs. SK989's and babySK989's ticket are award tickets, mine isn't). SAS new policy thus means that we wont be seated together unless we manually check in at the airport at least 3 hours before departure!

I'm sure it has to be possible to manually override the pre-seating at C/I even when it's less than 3 hours to departure. Well, we'll se in a few weeks.
I don't know about the exact rules for babies/infants, but when you use OLCI you can either check-in or just select seats.
I very often just use the OLCI to secure a good seat without actually checking in, that means you arrive at the airport with a good pre-assigned seat, but you're not checked-in.
This is very useful if you have connecting flights with other airlines, perhaps it could work in your case as well?
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by jacob_m
Another stupid 'enhancement' indeed!!

I don't know about the exact rules for babies/infants, but when you use OLCI you can either check-in or just select seats.
I very often just use the OLCI to secure a good seat without actually checking in, that means you arrive at the airport with a good pre-assigned seat, but you're not checked-in.
This is very useful if you have connecting flights with other airlines, perhaps it could work in your case as well?
Thank's for the tip. I will defenitely try that!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:11 am

There exists a NUMBER of scenarios when OLCI does not work. As mentioned it applies from some destinations. Also if there is a note in your booking record of any kind, such as "Ask for volunteers for later flight" etc OLCI does not work. And you will not even get to the screen to select seats.
This policy s***s big time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.