Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cell phone coverage on board next year. What do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:34 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Hey all.

As we all know, the aircraft producers will offer cell phone coverage next year.

What do you think? Should SAS offer this?

I say HELL NO!

An aircraft is the last sanctuary from cell phones, there’s significant noise, which will cause people to shout when they are on the phone.

Lets have a debate about it and present out opinions at the SAS Lunch in Stockholm on August 20th
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tommy777
I say HELL NO!
Agreed. I also believe in the sanctuary theory.

That said. I have Cisco IP Telephony at work. We have a soft client to the desk phones. With ConneXion and a headset I can be equally annoying for a lot less money. This will naturally apply also to the likes of Skype etc.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:47 am

I agree... We really don't need phones in there! Internet is great, but phones would turn it into a chatterbox! I quite appreciate that "airplane-silence". A nice change from... well... everywhere else nowadays!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:56 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by larsll
Agreed. I also believe in the sanctuary theory.

That said. I have Cisco IP Telephony at work. We have a soft client to the desk phones. With ConneXion and a headset I can be equally annoying for a lot less money. This will naturally apply also to the likes of Skype etc.
Well, the latency and unstable connection will not make Voip very popular. The delay is massive

I have not seen anyone use Voip on board, thank god

Pinger www.vg.no [193.69.165.21] med 32 byte data:

Svar fra 193.69.165.21: byte=32 tid=803ms TTL=231
Svar fra 193.69.165.21: byte=32 tid=801ms TTL=231
Svar fra 193.69.165.21: byte=32 tid=797ms TTL=231
Svar fra 193.69.165.21: byte=32 tid=792ms TTL=231

Ping-statistikker for 193.69.165.21:
Pakker: sendt = 4, mottatt = 4, tapt = 0 (0% tap),
Gjennomsnittlig tid for tur-retur i millisekunder:
minimum = 792ms, maksimum = 803ms, gjennomsnittlig = 798ms
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

that might be for sas, but on LH skype is working like a charm...

i used it serveral times and made long phone calls, btw. as the airplanes are so loud, a phone call does not disturb more than two people talking.

i using noice cancelling headphones, so i dont have to shout

dp
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:33 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
US-Europe at night will be HELL! Bad connections, people shouting!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by derpelikan
i using noice cancelling headphones, so i dont have to shout
Let's think about the logic of this one
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:51 am

Programs: too many to list
I say HELL NO!
Agree on this. The less cellphone coverage I have the happier I am.

Maybe this is something we want to discuss with SK in ARN next month?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: TK*G
I think I would be able to cope with the inconvenience of having to listen to someone on their cell phone on an inter-european flight. Knowing that I'd be able to walk off the plane an hour later would ease the pain. I wouldn't like it, but I could live with it.

On an intercontinental flight, however, I'd go crazy having to put up with somebody yakking on their phone non-stop from Copenhagen to Seattle. Hopefully the phones will only be able to be used when the aircraft is over land.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

I repeat it quite often: All of us know how annoying the inconsiderate use of cell phones is on the trains, airport lounges etc. But, on the plane, there is even less privacy, as there are more passengers per square meter and there is absolutely no possibility to escape (or to choose the fellow passenger in advance)...

Imagine, how an early monday-morning flight on a fully booked Airbus can be... sitting next to five self-important inconsiderate businessmen ... and be also aware that the costumership of an international airline doesn't consist only "quiet central Europeans"...

For me it's clear: As soon as I haven't the choice to fly with a "quiet plane", I will stop flying (or reduce it to one holiday trip per year...). I really don't want to be packed between two noisy chatters for hours...

Patrick
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
If it will cost about the same as with satellite phones, I do not think that there is many passengers using their cell phones. At least not after the first flight and receiving the next phone bill (with lots of roaming charges).

It is not going to be so cheap for operators to arrange that. It will probably go like it is nowadays arranged with satellite phones. There will be satellite link and then additional basestation inside the aircraft. The basestation is providing the service for special operator 'satellite operator' and your own operator need to have a roaming agreement with them. As usual, roaming charges will apply. And I would bet that roaming charged using satellite link will be much higher compared to what we are currently seeing in certain countries.

I personally do not worry about it. People will learn how expensive it will be.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:03 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by miikka
If it will cost about the same as with satellite phones, I do not think that there is many passengers using their cell phones. At least not after the first flight and receiving the next phone bill (with lots of roaming charges).

It is not going to be so cheap for operators to arrange that. It will probably go like it is nowadays arranged with satellite phones. There will be satellite link and then additional basestation inside the aircraft. The basestation is providing the service for special operator 'satellite operator' and your own operator need to have a roaming agreement with them. As usual, roaming charges will apply. And I would bet that roaming charged using satellite link will be much higher compared to what we are currently seeing in certain countries.

I personally do not worry about it. People will learn how expensive it will be.

I don't know how it will be. But I guess it can be like this...

Land phone network -> GSM gateway-> ConnexioByBoeing -> GSM gateway -> internal GSM antenna on the plane -> your GSM phone.

Advntage of this solution is,
1. Better coverage. (The plane don't need to be flying over land. As the antenna is located inside of the plane.)
2. Lower cost. (Airlines can use universal GSM gateway and antenna. Not expensive satellite antenna)
3. Only one roaming operator is enough. (ie, an operator in Denmark)
4. Easily upgrade devices to future technologies.

By the way, I don't want to have cell phone on the plane either.
This post is just because of curiousity of technology.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:25 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
Hey all.

As we all know, the aircraft producers will offer cell phone coverage next year.

What do you think? Should SAS offer this?

I say HELL NO!

An aircraft is the last sanctuary from cell phones, there’s significant noise, which will cause people to shout when they are on the phone.

Lets have a debate about it and present out opinions at the SAS Lunch in Stockholm on August 20th
I agree on HELL NO! Flying is one of very few moments nowadays when you get to be somewhere without beep-biiip-blopp from all very annoying ringing signals that people have on max volume in their phones. And it gives me a very good moment of silence as well as I can blame being on-board the reason for having the cell phone switched off. Whenever they start to offer cell coverage on-board I'll have even less opportunities to keep the phone off. Pity...
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: heaps...
i think its going to be offered, simply beacause there is money in it. On the other hand most companies that to LOTS of flying already have a 'no work in the air' policy, and that would probably extend to mobile phones. And the flyers i've talked to HATE the idea (me included), so there might be a little tuen the cellphone off anyway policy implemented
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:04 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by movingalong
i think its going to be offered, simply beacause there is money in it. On the other hand most companies that to LOTS of flying already have a 'no work in the air' policy, and that would probably extend to mobile phones. And the flyers i've talked to HATE the idea (me included), so there might be a little tuen the cellphone off anyway policy implemented
Well, the phones that SK had in the seatback/armrest for some years. I am sure that was implemented as a way of earning money too. Didn't take long before it disappeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.