Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS is considering bases in low cost countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS is considering bases in low cost countries

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
the WSJ-reading, self-important, suburb-living, triathlon-doing, salmon-eating, Ralph Lauren-wearing (seriously Sweden, move on) rhinos
LOL

G
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The English-speaking abilities of SK FAs isn't all that it used to be. It's more varied than it used to be. I have less confidence in the educational systems' outcomes in the region than I would have had previously. And it shows up in the communications, written and verbal, of the younger generation: a generation which can throw out English expletives and insults with the best of them but which would have struggled to pass my third grade English class and yet ends up employed doing a large chunk of their daily work at offices and on the road in English. SK FAs' communication skills are a sign of their times in terms of the educational system too.

Still, SK FAs tend to speak as good or better English than their European industry colleagues who are also not native-speakers of English.

Clearly, she was one of the gals who started in the 80s for the party of flying and now that the glamor has gone out of it, I'm sure she took a shining to a 30-year-old consultant who doesn't take himself as seriously as the WSJ-reading, self-important, suburb-living, triathlon-doing, salmon-eating, Ralph Lauren-wearing (seriously Sweden, move on) rhinos I usually fly with in Business to and from the US.
It's the NYT/NYTIE, isn't it? Amusingly the FT, WSJ/WSJE and the Economist don't seem as "seriously Sweden" as the NYT.

It has to be a triathlon since they can't pull off a modern pentathlon ever since riding and shooting became so unpopular.

Do those 80s era SK FAs really care about LCC competition nowadays?

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 3, 2016 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's the NYT/NYTIE, isn't it?

Amusingly the FT, WSJ/WSJE and the Economist don't seem as "seriously Sweden" as the NYT.

Do those 80s era SK FAs really care about LCC competition nowadays?
I don't know what they care about; I know I was woken up in a way I hadn't experienced since leaving my parents' farm for the big city (OK, house in the suburbs to move 20 km into Copenhagen, but don't ruin it) and that it was very nice of her. I have not since been woken up with a stroke on my cheek. Maybe she just wanted to see if my beard was home-grown or a futuristic facewarmer?

I don't think they actually read the WSJ. I think it's just for show. I mean, do 54-year-old public employees from the Swedish Ministry for Equality really need to know what's in the WSJ? They're in New York City on a tax payer-funded inspiration trip to learn about intersectional dance therapy*, after all. The WSJ is just to provide a veneer of reason to be in C and to hopefully get some FA to look at them as if they're important.

I read the New York Post if I can get away with it. And if I could bring McD onto the plane, that's what I would eat in a bombardment of blissful sin.

*YMMV
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow
I guess, customers have different sensitivity. I find noise the most tiresome aspect of air travel. Adding to the noise with announcements just annoys me. Especially that in some seats you seat waay to close to a waay to loud speaker (I do use earplugs almost always). This wakes me up or distract from some Other Important Activity I happen to be performing. I would also prefer much less advertising. Essentially anything beyond what is legally requried, I consider SPAM. I also consider this to be the biggest problem of LCCs (avoiding them mostly for this reason, as they spam much more than SK).

But to be fair Northern American carriers spam as well, they just do it in one language. I would even say that they are heavier than SK on that front. There are always some specials, sales, and a mandatory charity campaign.
Let's be fair for a second, on a bad day on SK983 where they will be running 3 languages, it might stretch up to 5 minutes combined to do the non safety welcome announcements. And that's setting it high. That's really this much of an issue?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:16 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Do they give English announcements on the average Kristianssund --> Molde morning flight?
SK cannot provide announcements on a flight on a route they don't fly!

I haven't been on a single SK domestic flight in Norway that doesn't have announcements in English. I have been on many, however, that don't have announcements in Norwegian.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
(AF - they never seem to get my Northern English accent for some reason ).
Pardon, Monsieur?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Let's be fair for a second, on a bad day on SK983 where they will be running 3 languages, it might stretch up to 5 minutes combined to do the non safety welcome announcements. And that's setting it high. That's really this much of an issue?
From a prolific former poster over on the AY forum:

Originally Posted by mandraskim
My thoughts and experience with finnair from australia to europe.

Well i did my trip. First of all i was a economic traveler. Qantas from australia to singapore. In singapore its when i catch the Finnair bounce to helsinki.

My experience with finnair was ok but not perfect at all. The seats and screen tv infront of me was alittle dirty and tiny. It was quite annoying how the flight attendant spoke on the mike for more then 5 minutes non stop which sounded like a broken recorded and sounded like someone was reading a night story book. I could not understand the language (finnish) it sounded very annoying but no offence to anyone whos Finnish.

Not enough english been added to what all that 5 minute speech was all about. Sounded like a cat whining about something. No offence.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
From a prolific former poster over on the AY forum:
Judging by that complaint's linguistic proficiency, it might've been in English after all.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That was an autistic ozzie flying AY from SIN to HEL on a ratty former AF 343, hardly a comparison... only if you end up on LN-RKP.

Back on topic, it evident the Nordics have no problems outsourcing their travel industry to labor from the CEE. My impression on frequent travel to Iceland and Norway was that every one except 1-2 front desk employees at hotels were from the CEE. AY crews half their longhaul ops in Asia, and only have a finnish purser on the flights to Asia. I'm sure SAS can do the same.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:31 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That was an autistic ozzie flying AY from SIN to HEL on a ratty former AF 343, hardly a comparison... only if you end up on LN-RKP.

Back on topic, it evident the Nordics have no problems outsourcing their travel industry to labor from the CEE. My impression on frequent travel to Iceland and Norway was that every one except 1-2 front desk employees at hotels were from the CEE. AY crews half their longhaul ops in Asia, and only have a finnish purser on the flights to Asia. I'm sure SAS can do the same.
Yes, but these employees (in Norway usually from the Baltics and Poland) mostly come from other EEA countries, and are supposed to be employed at the same conditions as natives.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by wazow
Well, I think this is nice, but does this still happen? I remember about 10 years ago, commuting frequently on domestic flights in Denmark. I would often sleep. The flight is short. More often than no a FA would gently put my seat in the upright position on approach, without waking me up, or barely disturbing my sleep. I found it so nice. Nowadays, I am routinely woken up, and with a brisk arm grab and "put your sit upright, sir". I think SK has changed. Or I am no longer attractive enough. Or both.
I saw a FA very recently stroke someone's arm to wake him up before landing and ask if he wanted a very quick cup of coffee (don't remember which flight but it would have been either intra-Scandinavia or intra-Europe).

On another note, I have been flying through ARN a bit lately and they seem to have a few more older staff than flying out of CPH and the route CPH-ARN also seem to have more older staff (or it is a coincidence...) and I have to say that I don't get the issues some people here have with them.

I've been flying Plus and I've found them all to be perfectly nice, perfectly friendly, and perfectly capable.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ksu
Yes, but these employees (in Norway usually from the Baltics and Poland) mostly come from other EEA countries, and are supposed to be employed at the same conditions as natives.
Well, supposed is the key word. In Germany most of them 'work' for some company in the CEE that supplies the labor to the hotel. In extreme cases they have their own company that is a subcontractor to the other company. Kinda like how Ryanair employs their pilots
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by klmml
Don't forget Estonian Air!
SAS also owned parts of Thai, BMI and Lan Chile and there was at least discussions of buying shares in Continental.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thai is SAS's baby. SK gave birth to TG.

Originally Posted by oliver2002

I can't speak to the labor costs of hotels in Iceland. In Norway, they get wages in the same range as their Norwegian and Swedish colleagues working the same function at Norwegian hotels. Hotels can't pull off all the same kind of stuff airlines can do with labor cost shifting via offshoring and outsourcing.

Originally Posted by helosc
I saw a FA very recently stroke someone's arm to wake him up before landing and ask if he wanted a very quick cup of coffee (don't remember which flight but it would have been either intra-Scandinavia or intra-Europe).

On another note, I have been flying through ARN a bit lately and they seem to have a few more older staff than flying out of CPH and the route CPH-ARN also seem to have more older staff (or it is a coincidence...) and I have to say that I don't get the issues some people here have with them.

I've been flying Plus and I've found them all to be perfectly nice, perfectly friendly, and perfectly capable.
CPH seems to have somewhat younger employees working for the airlines, airport and airport vendors than ARN has. It can't be that Swedes tend to age worse than Danes, but perhaps it can be that someone has empirical data about the ages of those working at these airports and/or aging trends?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hotels can't pull off all the same kind of stuff airlines can do with labor cost shifting via offshoring and outsourcing.
I wouldn't use so negative language. I see nothing particularly wrong (for airlines) to pay lower salaries to employees that have their living costs in CEE, Ireland or Asia. I would actually find it ethically wrong to pay them the same salary as in Scandinavia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.