Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Delayed SAS flight compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed SAS flight compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

Pick up the phone and make your dismay blatantly clear and that you will not accept an 8 week wait period. Don't accept the argument that they can't do anything for you and simply ask to talk to a superior. This will work almost always, might take a few phone calls but you'll get there. Raise your voice linear to the amount of calls you're making to get your right.
This might work in the US, but it will get you nowhere in Scandinavia. The only thing you might accomplish is that your case is bumped to the bottom of the line so the waiting time will be even longer.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Another data point: I opened two cases this morning at 10:00 (cancellations last week) and both cases are now closed (16:00). Haven't received an email, so I assume that they have gone through and i can expect money soon.

I used the form here http://www.care.flysas.com/SelfService/FeedbackForm/ and the initial email mentioned a potential wait time of up to 8 weeks, so 6 hours isn't too bad. Probably the EBD status helped.

Last edited by alibi; Oct 17, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
They optimized the process asking for all account data etc up front. This saves them a few iterations in case the claim goes through.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Money for both cases was in my account today. Stellar performance by SAS
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Got denied:

Thank you for contacting SAS Customer Care.

First of all let me apologize for the delay caused during your travel.

I can understand your request for EU-compensation.
However, according to the EU regulation, SAS is not liable for delays caused by extraordinary circumstances such as weather conditions, strikes, air traffic management decisions and unexpected flight safety shortcomings. Since in this case, the delay was caused by the weather condition, I am sorry to say that we can't meet your request in this aspect.

SAS can compesate for expences such as food, transports to/from hotel/Airport etc caused during the delay. If you have any of these please return with receipts.
I can also provide a delay certificate if that should be needed.

Next step?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:21 am

ARN-LHR 5th September, which flight number?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

SK527
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:17 am
Original Poster

So how does one appeal a decision by SAS?
Should I outsource it to the "bottom feeder" now?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by stevento
So how does one appeal a decision by SAS?
Should I outsource it to the "bottom feeder" now?
That is probably the easiest. As SK is claiming weather related, which if true would exempt them, it would require some pressure to get documentation that it was not. Burden of proof is of course on SK, but it does not mean that it is easy to win on your own.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Next step?
Things work differently in Europe than in the USA. Talking and pleading your case with the airline, wont get you very far.

In most cases in order to get EC261/2004 money, you need to somehow get a claim agency or the court involved.
The good news in Europe: Bodies for escalation exist and are easy accessible.
I did get my money from SAS by escalating the case to the national arbitration body.

Some posters here has said that SAS paid straight away.
Well, this is not my experience with them.

Got denied:
It is standard operating procedure for airlines to deny 100% of the claims.

My recommendation:
http://www.arn.se/other-languages/english-what-is-arn/
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The reality is that there are carriers which may respond faster, but they respond "no" and take you through rounds of "no" so that it can take 18 months to see anything.
DY is pretty quick to state "go f... yourself" whenever something like this happens - not that this ever happens to DY ....
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Many airlines also do not reply to EC261/2004 at all, leaving you with no proof that your claims ever received by the airline.
DY is pretty quick to state "go f... yourself" whenever something like this happens
This is also the reason why no one should be surprised getting an IGNORE or DENY from their claim.
There many alternative ways to force an airline to pay.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:27 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
A question for the OP: are you sure the delay was technical? Did the pilot or gate staff make such a statement?

Given that it was an LHR flight, could it have been an ATC and slot time issue?

I would say use a third party such as EUclaim or alike. It will take forever to challenge the SK decision, and I would say it is just easier to outsource.

Last edited by THD; Nov 3, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

So I received a denial from SAS claiming the delay was due adverse weather.
I replied the weather was fine in ARN and LHR, and asked for documentation.
In response, SAS said they must have made a mistake about weather and asked for tickets, which I sent about 3 wks ago.

Just got a check for 600 euro (in USD) per passenger.
That was easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.