Search

SAS travel credit - useless?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
SAS travel credit - useless?

I got SEK 500 travel credit from SK - and it said I need to call to book a ticket - I saw that someone wrote here saying that if I use travel credit to book a flight then they won't charge the 200, is that true?

If I have to pay 200 extra to call to book and then SK's full price, then at the end of the day I'm still paying more than booking my flight through OTA.

TIA!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I recently booked on phone because I had a VDB voucher. No fee was charged. Where did you get that travel credit from?

Well I guess I would just call and ask. Then you know.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by nacho
I got SEK 500 travel credit from SK - and it said I need to call to book a ticket - I saw that someone wrote here saying that if I use travel credit to book a flight then they won't charge the 200, is that true?

If I have to pay 200 extra to call to book and then SK's full price, then at the end of the day I'm still paying more than booking my flight through OTA.

TIA!
SAS Credits or Travel voucher?

Well, in either case my strong impression (and memory) is, that no fee is imposed from using call center, as there is no alternative. Same as when you need to rebook due to strikes, terrorism in intended arrival country and (I suppose) award tickets to destinations un-bookable online.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I recently booked on phone because I had a VDB voucher. No fee was charged. Where did you get that travel credit from?

Well I guess I would just call and ask. Then you know.
SK customer service. I'm not sure if I can make use of it because the last couple of times I bought IC Y SK tickets at least SEK 500 cheaper on OTA.

Do you know if I can use it to book a child ticket if I book the adult ticket on an OTA?

TIA!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
SK customer service. I'm not sure if I can make use of it because the last couple of times I bought IC Y SK tickets at least SEK 500 cheaper on OTA.

Do you know if I can use it to book a child ticket if I book the adult ticket on an OTA?

TIA!
Yes, I have done it before. It is easiest if you have booked the adult first as they can pull up your reservation. They should be able to link the reservations or seat you together. With that being said,I have booked the child first and told them an adult would eventually book without needing to pay the unaccompanied minor fee (if the child us under 12).

As noted, they waive the fee to book the ticket by phone.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha

Well, in either case my strong impression (and memory) is, that no fee is imposed from using call center, as there is no alternative. Same as when you need to rebook due to strikes, terrorism in intended arrival country and (I suppose) award tickets to destinations un-bookable online.
SAS travel credit - they gave me a reference number and tell me to call and use that number to use it as a partial payment.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by livious
As noted, they waive the fee to book the ticket by phone.
Be prepared to HUCA a few times... Been there, done that! At least 4 or 5 call center agents where not able to waive the phone booking fee, even though there is no other way to book the flights. The last one finally got it right
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:04 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

SAS Credits can be booked online, at least as long as the available SAS Credits cover the full ticket price. But SAS Credits is a product basically for business travellers who travel a lot with SK.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: SK-EBD
SAS travel credit - they gave me a reference number and tell me to call and use that number to use it as a partial payment.
Travel credit – is that a new ‘product’? Or a digitalization of the old fashioned Travel Voucher?

I still have a Travel Voucher from October – it took the gate agent a long time to handwrite all the information. Must be last handwritten document in aviation?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Travel credit – is that a new ‘product’? Or a digitalization of the old fashioned Travel Voucher?

I still have a Travel Voucher from October – it took the gate agent a long time to handwrite all the information. Must be last handwritten document in aviation?
I think it's a different one you are talking about - you got one that is issued at the gate that is probably due to IVD. Saw a gate agent wrote one out at the gate. That one can be exchanged to cash (I heard that it can be sent to SAS and put in your bank account info).

However the one I got was a reference number. I need to call in to book a flight - not sure I can make use of it as I never travel alone and so far OTA fare is at least 500:- cheaper than SK's home page for long haul flights. What they claim is that if I call I might not get the same price as online prices which sounds like the 500 would be completely useless.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I think it's a different one you are talking about - you got one that is issued at the gate that is probably due to IVD. Saw a gate agent wrote one out at the gate. That one can be exchanged to cash (I heard that it can be sent to SAS and put in your bank account info).
Travel vouchers can be exchanged into cash at 50% of the value.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livious
Travel vouchers can be exchanged into cash at 50% of the value.
I guess the IVD vouchers are not travel vouchers.

I was right next to the gate agent (I was going to ask if I can get EUR 75 by taking the next flight) - she said to that guy very clearly that it's real cash - that all he needs is to fill in his bank account info and then send it to CS and they will put the EUR 75 into his bank account.

My travel credit has no cash value (as expected).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.