Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Does SAS do much for inaugural flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does SAS do much for inaugural flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: none
They should have done more because of who was on board.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
They should have done more because of who was on board.
Enlighten us?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:55 am

how was the equipment and service on the flight

SInce it is actually a very small plane for the trip... I would love to know how the actual flying experience was. Were the seats comfortable etc? ... was the food edible? were the flight attendants attentive etc?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
Well, I bought a ticket to be on an inaugural flight. I suppose that puts me in the minority!
Yes it does. Most of us regard an airplane as an uncomfortable flying bus that gets us from point A to point B as quickly as possible. If you want celebrations, go on an inaugural cruise and you might not even get it with that - you will just get an unfinished trip.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:41 am

Well, in 2013 SAS assigned the oldest plane in their fleet to an intra-European inaugural flight. Good for the spotters, but unusual messaging...
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I strongly doubt SAS would just open a new route, because they have a spare plane. It's pretty expensive to open a new route to a new airport where you aren't present already. That is properly also the reason why the Privatair plane has spend the winter flying CPH-EWR on the evening rotation.

The Privatair plane could easily have been refitted to fly Europa rotations when they changed the seat configuration recently, but SAS decided to keep it in a long haul configuration.
Well... SK901/902 is normally Summer only, but with the spare 737 long haul version SK put in on the winter rotation. I can understand the idea that SK would like to test new (shorter!) long haul routes with the private air 737. It makes good sense to some degree - but when there is no plans to upgrade anytime soon then it to me clearly is just placing a plane somewhere
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Well... SK901/902 is normally Summer only, but with the spare 737 long haul version SK put in on the winter rotation. I can understand the idea that SK would like to test new (shorter!) long haul routes with the private air 737. It makes good sense to some degree - but when there is no plans to upgrade anytime soon then it to me clearly is just placing a plane somewhere
To test new routes with smaller available birds like the privat air, makes good sense to me to. And not having any plans for upgrading to larger birds, is kind of inline with testing new routes.

The theory of placing the bird somewhere doesn't really fly with me. It's still cheaper to leave a bird on the ground than using it on a route which are loosing money. When it's on the ground you don't need to pay fuel, hotel accommodation for the crew, Airport passenger fees, etc. You more or less only needs to pay leasing fee and crew base costs, which on older birds like the privat air isn't high. The load factor has to be above 50% or higher before a flight covers it's own cost.
If it's really a question of placing the bird somewhere, they could have made better use of it replacing some of the crew less Cimber birds and avoid some of the cancellations. The privat air birs was build for short haul and later refitted with additional fuel tanks etc. to accommodate long haul flights.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Inaugural MIA-CPH

Hello! booked on the 1st ever MIA-CPH flight! Amazing $99 fare and bid for upgrade to plus for $215 (fingers crossed).
How is the service on SAS with the new A330s?
Does SAS do anything special for inaugural flights?
Anyone else going?!

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by zrs70
Well, I bought a ticket to be on an inaugural flight. I suppose that puts me in the minority!
I am on an inaugural but its just luck. I couldnt imagine buying the ticket for that purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.