Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Using extra points to get EBD, worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)

I am currently around 8k points short of EBD and my qualification period ended last week, so I am unable to enhance my status by flying. However, if I understood correctly, I could use my extra points to purchase basic points and retroactively raise my status to EBD.

My question here is that do you feel that it is worth using 80k points to get EBD? Main perk for me would be to be able to gift an EBG card to my wife, and also the courtesy upgrades (if it works ) since I am not in a position to travel in business otherwise. Is there something else, more "valuable", I could use the points on? I am not interested in buying stuff from the points shop.

All opinions appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited by AndyA; Feb 4, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:50 pm

80k points?! No I wouldn't do that. You can upgrade a cheap Go ticket to biz with 40k points at the day-of-flight service center
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
80k points?! No I wouldn't do that. You can upgrade a cheap Go ticket to biz with 40k points at the day-of-flight service center
But couldn't I get this same upgrade complimentary if I am Diamond? I know it is not certain in any way, but after reading the topic about the complimentary upgrades I know it is happening atleast to some people
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Depends on your travel pattern and if you have someone to gift a gold card to. The courtesy upgrades are only one travel class, so worth probably only 15.000 points (and only every other flight)

If you have several intercontinental flights coming up and/or like to drink carlsberg, then it could be worth it. But otherwise the benefits are minimal.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
There's soft landing to EBG, an extra 10% of best availability and a free Amex if you live in Norway. There's the diamond gift, but that mostly a joke and at most worth 500NOK.

Remember that you get two gifts and EBG give away as you can do this in your grace period.

Shorter reply time from CS is also a benefit.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisljo
There's soft landing to EBG, an extra 10% of best availability and a free Amex if you live in Norway. There's the diamond gift, but that mostly a joke and at most worth 500NOK.

Remember that you get two gifts and EBG give away as you can do this in your grace period.

Shorter reply time from CS is also a benefit.
Great info, thanks. Did not realize there is a soft landing to EBG. I decided to spend the points and now I am EBD

What do you mean by grace period? So lets say I gift one EBG card today to my wife, when can I gift the second EBG card?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:24 am

Will not work for you... Only works if you qualify and get upgraded in the running qualification period.

E.g. Your qualification period is 01st Feb to 30th Jan. You become EBD in September. Then you could give away one Gold card in September to Jan 30th and another in the time 1st Feb to 30th Jan of the next year.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by fassy
Will not work for you... Only works if you qualify and get upgraded in the running qualification period.

E.g. Your qualification period is 01st Feb to 30th Jan. You become EBD in September. Then you could give away one Gold card in September to Jan 30th and another in the time 1st Feb to 30th Jan of the next year.
I can't confirm this, but I believe you can also gift in the first three months the year after your diamond year end, since your status last three months longer than your qualification period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.