Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Light [FAQ & Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by raldat
Yep, same here. This is the one part of the SAS strategy I just don't get. Back to basic market positioning from Uni with the like of Michael Porter who suggested you had to be a price leader or a differentiator. You cant be stuck in the middle. SAS are doing all they can not to differentiate, i.e they are adopting all the budget airline tools such as no baggage fares, no "free" meal or drink service, little value in loyalty programs etc, but they still remain more expensive. My recent family vacation was a case in point. Prior to recent points devaluation I would have always flown SAS (and always did) chasing the points and status. This time there was so little in it that price and schedule won out so it was Norwegian one way and SAS the other.

If you are going to compete on price alone you better darn well make sure your price is compelling.
SAS = Michael Porter's "stuck in the middle" - yep this is our conclusion about SAS for a long long time. They were fairly OK around 15-20 years ago but then they kept going downhill IMO. Back then you earn miles based on how far you flew rather than the stupid booking class - and this booking class seems to be like seafood price (this particular thing is not only applied to SK but all other airlines).

Their first no-frill "snowflake" is like a joke to me - FS price No Frill service. Then this "snowflake" RIP and then the whole SK turns into a semi-no-frill which is pretty much the situation now.

The 100% point thing was one of the best things they have done in the past 5 years or so, and it convinced me to fly with them (I'd rather change plane and get FS treatment than flying direct with SK). That one is also RIP and so what's next - slim themselves down first by introducing a 100 kr. discount for not taking a check bag with you?

If you are so desperate in cash you'd probably pick other LCC, why pay double to get a cup of coffee/tea and free download of a bunch of online newspaper and some points (points are pretty useless unless you fly quite some)?

I fly them when I find a good deal - since we are travelling out of our pockets, and the only reason why they are bearable due to us being *A G. Lounge access gave me the FS treatment before my flight so I don't need to wait for my tray of food to be thrown at me.

If SK is smart, they could offer miles for choosing not to check bags in (at the time of reservation), say 1000 per pax - a bit like not having breakfast as a Marriott Gold member. This way you could please a lot of business customers who are HBO.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by nacho
what's next - slim themselves down first by introducing a 100 kr. discount for not 100 kr price hike for taking a check bag with you?
here, fixed it for you.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UltraRant
here, fixed it for you.
^^^^

In addition to that they might only put offers available at the "light" fare category, which means a EUR 25 check bag fee with 125 points/leg.

Am I giving wrong ideas to SK?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by nacho
^^^^

In addition to that they might only put offers available at the "light" fare category, which means a EUR 25 check bag fee with 125 points/leg.

Am I giving wrong ideas to SK?
No, probably you're right. The current economy promos are already the lowest fare classes available and it probably will stay that way.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:29 am

Only reason I booked with SK previously was because of the included baggage. Apart from the free coffee / tea, there is no difference between them and Ryanair at Dublin now. They even use the same crappy low cost pier (without airbridges) as FR. I know what airline I'll be switching over to.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The terms/details:

Code:
 New concept SAS Go Light
Effective 08SEP15, SAS will introduce a new concept, SAS Go Light, on selected European destinations.

SAS Go Light is a new concept to expand the offer to our customers who want to travel light, those who are looking for lower prices and does not have the need to travel with checked baggage.

SAS Go Light will be available in the same booking classes as SAS Go, but will be offered to a lower fare than SAS Go and exclude checked baggage allowance in the ticket.
    It will be possible to buy checked baggage, as well as other additional services, from time of reservation until departure. For passengers who want to travel with checked baggage, it will be more favorable to buy a SAS Go ticket with baggage included.
    SAS Go Light is an additional customer offer to our current product offering SAS Go and SAS Plus, which will remain unchanged.
    Eurobonus tier level benefits will remain unchanged, e.g. baggage allowance.
    SAS Go Light customers will have the same service on board as SAS Go and for now SAS Go Light passengers will earn same amount of EuroBonus points as a passenger travelling in SAS Go.
    SAS Go Light is available on all SK routes between Scandinavia and Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands and Spain.
    Note: All code share routes are excluded. SAS Go Light is not available on routes within Scandinavia: domestic and/or intrascandinavian routes.

Booking classes and fare basis

SAS Go Light will be available in all booking classes below.  
Booking class 	Fare basis
One way 	Fare basis
Round trip  
E 	E*OLIGHT 	E*RLIGHT
M 	M*OLIGHT 	M*RLIGHT
H 	H*OLIGHT 	H*RLIGHT
Q 	Q*OLIGHT 	Q*RLIGHT
W 	W*OLIGHT 	W*RLIGHT
U 	U*OLIGHT 	U*RLIGHT
K 	K*OLIGHT 	K*RLIGHT
L 	L*OLIGHT 	L*RLIGHT
T 	T*OLIGHT 	T*RLIGHT
O 	O*OLIGHT 	O*RLIGHT

* Indicates variation in fare basis, depending on point of commencement of travel:
D = Denmark, N = Norway, S = Sweden, E = All other markets.

Fares will be available for all SAS offices and agents in all GDS’es.

SAS Go Light is filed as a private fare with a Corporate code as per below. 
Amadeus 	Galileo 	Sabre 	 Worldspan
513058 	BAG07 	BAG07 	BAG07
Fare and pricing input

Amadeus
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FQDSTOPAR/R,U513058
Fare Display SAS Go Light + SAS Go: FQDSTOPAR/R,U513058, P  
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: FXP/R,U513058 
Fare Quote SAS Go Light + SAS Go: FXP/R,U513058, P  

Galileo
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FDSTOPAR15JUL/SK-PRI-BAG07:P
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: FQ-ABAG07:SEK
Sabre
Fare Display SAS Go Light: FQSTOPAR14JUL-SK¥PV¥IUSMK01
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: WPAC*BAG07                                           

Worldspan
Fare Display SAS Go Light: 4FBGOAMS14JULSR-SK/@@BAG07     
Fare Quote SAS Go Light: 4PFSR¥/@@BAG07
Markets

Fares will be available for purchase from/to all SK operated points in Scandinavia from/to the following SK operated points in below European markets:
Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Netherlands and Spain

SAS Go Light is available for travel from Scandinavia and Europe and from Europe to Scandinavia 
    SAS Go Light is possible to combine with other SAS fares: SAS Go and SAS Plus
    SAS Go Light is not combinable with SAS Corporate Net Fares
    SAS Go Light is not available on code share flights

Origin and destinations

Fares will be available for purchase on SK routes between below origin and destinations.

Note: Above origin and destinations are subject to change. 
Excess baggage charges

For passengers travelling in SAS Go Light, it will be possible to buy checked baggage as an ancillary service from time of reservation until departure. 
It is also possible to add baggage for passengers travelling in SAS Go or SAS Plus.
Note: Charge is higher when purchasing baggage at airport. 
	Off airport 	At airport
European routes with SAS Go Light concept
Valid for SAS Go Light, SAS Go and SAS Plus 	DKK 169
NOK 185
SEK 199
EUR 25 	DKK 500
NOK 540
SEK 600
EUR 66

All other European routes
Valid for SAS Go and SAS Plus
	DKK 379
NOK 409
SEK 439
EUR 51  	DKK 500
NOK 540
SEK 600
EUR 66

SAS Concept overview - short haul routes  
	SAS Go Light * 	SAS Go 	SAS Plus
Checked baggage 	For purchase 	1 bag á 23 kg 	2 bags á 23 kg
Hand baggage 	1 x 8 kg 	1 x 8 kg 	1 x 8 kg
Rebooking 	Yes** - against a fee 
700 DKK, NOK, SEK 	Yes - against a fee
500 DKK, NOK, SEK 	es 
Refund 	No 	No 	Yes
Fast Track 	No 	No 	Yes
Lounge 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes
EuroBonus points 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Seat reservation 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes
Coffee and Tea 	Yes 	Yes 	Yes
Food 	For purchase 	For purchase 	Yes

* SAS Go Light is only available on selected SK operated European destinations.
** Rebooking is possible within SAS Go Light or to SAS Plus.
I just checked the pricing now and for ARN-TKU I can see that the Go Light ticket is 4€ cheaper than Go used to be but that the Go price got up by 10€.

Also interesting is that e.g. HEL-ATH has no Go Light ticket option but each leg has.

EDIT: And I just read that SAS' condition seems to look better now. But nevertheless for the current year still in minus.
http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/sas-gjorde-miljardvinst/ (in Swedish)

Last edited by Jainzar; Sep 8, 2015 at 12:43 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:13 pm

Anybody know if the youth fares will still include checked luggage btw? I now can see the SAS go light fares on the booking system however the youth tickets still do appear to include luggage.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Like AY and senior tickets, SAS and YTH tix will stay with luggage.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by vd0t
Star alliance gold members from other FFP also get free check-in luggage with SAS Go Light.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The terms/details:

Code:
 New concept SAS Go Light
Effective 08SEP15, SAS will introduce a new concept, SAS Go Light, on selected European destinations.
    Eurobonus tier level benefits will remain unchanged, e.g. baggage allowance.

Is this to be read only Eurobonus tier members or all star alliance members?
I mean, is the *G perk of one free extra luggage voided here?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
Is this to be read only Eurobonus tier members or all star alliance members?
I mean, is the *G perk of one free extra luggage voided here?
The amount of extra revenue will surely be a tad lower if they include Greece Airways UltraMegaGold members in the list of people that get the free luggage?

Jokes aside; wouldn't this create incentive to really credit to A3 in order to get to fly Go Light but receive Go (free luggage included)? Especially for EBS members?

I wonder if they'll release a Plus Light. I'd totally go for that. I even go to the states with a carry on only, so a Business Light would be marvelous, too.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Jokes aside; wouldn't this create incentive to really credit to A3 in order to get to fly Go Light but receive Go (free luggage included)? Especially for EBS members?
Why should they? EBS will always includes a free checked bag, no need for Gold.

I wonder if they'll release a Plus Light. I'd totally go for that. I even go to the states with a carry on only, so a Business Light would be marvelous, too.
Even if they do, saving 10 to 30 bucks in a business (or long-haul Plus) ticket is not really worth consideration. I could e.g. Live with C-light in a sense of C-cabin, no luggage, standard Go catering but even that concept won't lower the price enough to introduce that kind of fare. I still think SK is way to expensive ex-Scandinavia in C. Just booked CPH-BOS in C for next week and SK wanted to have more than double of the AC ticket. BA was even lower but I like to stick to *A
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:25 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
The amount of extra revenue will surely be a tad lower if they include Greece Airways UltraMegaGold members in the list of people that get the free luggage?

EBS have one extra piece of luggage on SK routes already, thus EBS should get one free piece of luggage on Light flights. So no reason to credit to A3 for EBS/A3*Gs for that. The extra luggagge and business check-in are the two valuable benefits that makes EBS worthwhile.

(EBG and EBD have two extra pieces of luggage on SK flights, and one on *A flights, as per *G rules)

Last edited by ksu; Sep 28, 2015 at 1:59 am
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they let all *A members get their perks, then it's a nice thing to do. I think LH group is horrible regarding waiving *A perks on their light products.

Why credit to A3? I don't even think you get anything for the deep discounted Y, even EB doesn't give you 100%. Also with A3 you really have to fly them in order to re-qualify (or you need to fly a certain miles which is not that low - pretty similar to EBG - 40k), so it's not as mega anymore especially 1 year from now.

Actually what I would like is to get a business seat but getting Y food/nothing. If I fly long haul all I want is a good sleep (like a long overnight ferry crossing), I don't care what wine/food they serve. I would have eaten at the lounge before boarding anyway. However I don't think airlines like the idea as this will not make the business class "luxury" as those amenities are cheap to buy anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ah, the ever so chipper and helpful FUD crowd at SK forum. Visiting these parts of flyertalk is always as big a delight as flying SK.

Well, if the combined smarts of FT doesn't come through, I guess going to the source is needed. I called SK and asked how many bags I was allowed on my next SK trip. Was told 2 for my plus segment and 1 for my Go light segment. I'm usually in plus and usually without bags so it is a new situation for me.
The CS rep sounded a bit uncertain though, so if anyone with actual experience of go light, bags and *G could chip in I'd appreciate it.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Why should they? EBS will always includes a free checked bag, no need for Gold.

Even if they do, saving 10 to 30 bucks in a business (or long-haul Plus) ticket is not really worth consideration. I could e.g. Live with C-light in a sense of C-cabin, no luggage, standard Go catering but even that concept won't lower the price enough to introduce that kind of fare. I still think SK is way to expensive ex-Scandinavia in C. Just booked CPH-BOS in C for next week and SK wanted to have more than double of the AC ticket. BA was even lower but I like to stick to *A

I totally agree with you. I'm there for the seat (with its ability to get work done/sleep/arrive ready to go), I could very much do without the catering. I choose BA as my other long-haul airline, but I also agree on the cost problem with SK ex-Scandi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.