Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Upgrades for EuroBonus Diamond & Pandion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by SwiftFoX
[*]Booking class becomes C,D,Z,I,R, or N if upgraded.^
This must be translate error. Swedish text says "booking classes C,D,Z,I,R,N are exempted".
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:16 am

For those of you who truly are flying SAS longhaul a lot, you will notice the upgrades. The information was leaked a while ago, and now the IT is in place, along with the latest EBD changes. You can follow the upgrade success if you read Scandinavian languages here.

Just to give some more information, this is how it works:

• Eurobonus Diamond/Pandion qualify for upgrade. EBD/EBP must be in the PNR.
  • This is for tickets on longhaul flights in Go/Plus, and you can upgrade to Plus (from Go) and Business (from Go/Plus).
  • Booking class becomes C,D,Z,I,R, or N if upgraded.
  • Completely automatic upgrading based on free seats in Plus/Business. No chance to effect this via manual input.
  • Notification at the earliest, 24 hours before departure, and at the latest 3 hours before departure regarding upgrade.
  • Maximum 5 PAX within the PNR for the booking to qualify for upgrade.
  • Infant causes the whole PNR to be disqualified for upgrades.
  • If you are upgraded on longhaul med SAS "Courtesy Upgrade" you are then disqualified for "Courtesy Upgrade" on your next trip.
  • Points earned based on original booking class.

^
Thanks Swifty, like I said, I shall report but here is hoping.

Fare avaialbility for my China flight in a few weeks looks like this (from EF)

C9 D9 Z0 R0 J0 Y9 S9 B5 P0 A0 E0 M0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 O0 G0 N0

Based on this and given Go seems sold out while Plus and Bus are open, it will be hard to tell if it is a new program upgrade or an opup though.

My recent experience is that opups are not uncommon in the above circumstances. I have had a few in the last 6 months (both as a gold and now as a diamond), mainly from Go to Plus but one from Plus to Bus and one from Go to Plus at checkin then to Bus at the gate.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus
How old is your son that you're travelling with? Have you gotten upgraded recently as EBD?

With United, and any other airlines, it's best to just fill as EBG since EBD has been bugged since it came out, sometimes it can work. They're working on making it work with most airlines, but I wouldn't count on it. It's SAS, save yourself the headache and put EBG

If you make them change to EBG, you will get your bags on the return for free.

Well, at least you get to choose the spade from the goodiebag, and some free coke in Go on intra-european flights!
He is 13 and "Adult" when it comes to the ticket - so no problem there.

I havent experienced anything else than this been a rumour at the moment - so i doubt it is "a fully automated process in place". If it was then I would have gotten an automatic upgrade on some of my 3 trips LH over the last 8 weeks.

I hope it is coming at one point though. Until then; I guess upgrading with points at the gate is the best way
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:31 am
Original Poster

as on businessclass.se some people report they got a mail confirming their courtesy upgrade I guess it is partly there, i.E. it is a test balloon and random customers are selected for this?

It certainly did not work for me the last weeks either.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Looks promising.

When will this become effective?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:37 am

So I can now confirm that this works. Just received an email with an upgrade from go to plus for my flight to Shanghai tonight. According to EF, was full with plus and C wide open. Will probably try for a points upgrade at checkin now. Was planning to anyhow, but it just got 15k points cheaper.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: EBD
SK901 AUG31 load

I'm on SK901 tomorrow and my two connecting flights LHR>ARN>CPH were both upgraded via Optiontown, it wasn't available on SK901, so I applied for a points upgrade and yesterday I received this e-mail:
Dear Customer

Thank you for your request of upgrade for your Intercontinental SAS flight. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate your request of Confirmed Upgrade for this flight. Your itinerary will be as originally booked.

As the booking situation can change at a later stage you are welcome to ask for a Stand-by upgrade at check-in or at the gate.

Best Regards,

SAS
Never had that before, could that be a new procedure related to the courtesy-upgrades? Would anyone with EF access be kind enough to share the current load for SK901 on Aug 31 so I have a better idea about my chances for an upgrade?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHRff
I'm on SK901 tomorrow and my two connecting flights LHR>ARN>CPH were both upgraded via Optiontown, it wasn't available on SK901, so I applied for a points upgrade and yesterday I received this e-mail:

Never had that before, could that be a new procedure related to the courtesy-upgrades? Would anyone with EF access be kind enough to share the current load for SK901 on Aug 31 so I have a better idea about my chances for an upgrade?

Thanks.
Nothing new and not related to the courtesy upgrades. I had confirmed point upgrades refused dozen of times over the last years with exactly the same mail. And every single time I was able to get an upgrade at check-in.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: EBD
Thinking about it, maybe all of my previous requests for point upgrades have been successful. I'll try my luck tomorrow at check-in.

None of my previous intercontinental SK flights have been courtesy-upgraded, so was hoping for one this time. Maybe it's because it's on LN-RKP.

Thanks.

Update:
I didn't receive any notification, but I was just upgraded from Go to Business. Could be a courtesy-upgrade, could be an OPUP, who knows...

Last edited by LHRff; Aug 30, 2015 at 9:39 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Just received an email from SAS with the courtesy upgrade message from Go to Plus on CPH-IAD tomorrow for me and my wife (I'm diamond, wife is gold). Flight does not seem to be full, so very positive change if SAS keep it up!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I applied for a courtesy upgrade for my wife on a trip to HKG later this month on the new route, she's booked in paid non-flex Plus. Usually we put all options to use, OT/advance point upgrade/airport upgrade on time of departure. As a test we'll not be doing the first two and use point upgrade at the airport as a fallback if there is availability.

Will be interesting to see the results.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I applied for a courtesy upgrade for my wife on a trip to HKG later this month on the new route, she's booked in paid non-flex Plus. Usually we put all options to use, OT/advance point upgrade/airport upgrade on time of departure. As a test we'll not be doing the first two and use point upgrade at the airport as a fallback if there is availability.

Will be interesting to see the results.
Assume you mean you applied for a points upgrade? You can't apply for a courtesy upgrade as far as I know.

As my my trip report, as previously mentioned, I was upgraded on the outbound trip. Recieved this mail.

You’ve been upgraded to SAS Plus!

We know that you spend a lot of time onboard our aircraft, and we appreciate it very much! To show you just how much, we’re offering you an upgrade to SAS Plus when you travel from Copenhagen to Shanghai 29th August. This means that you will enjoy extra benefits that make your trip even more comfortable (read more here). The offer applies to you and your traveling companion in the same booking!

Best wishes,
SAS

P.S. The EuroBonus points that you earn on this trip will be based on your original booking, not on the upgrade. Your upgrade will give you access to our lounges and Fast Track, but not ticket flexibility (i.e. free re-booking/cancellation).

On the way back, I applied for a confirmed points upgrade and was knocked back 24 hours out despite Plus being wide open. I was given a points upgrade at checkin and there were a total of 6 people in Plus. I really can't understand why SAS offer confirmed upgrades if they are going to just deny them all the time only to give them anyhow at checkin. I know they want to manage loads to keep revenue opportunities available but this one was so wide open it is incomprehensible,
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raldat
On the way back, I applied for a confirmed points upgrade and was knocked back 24 hours out despite Plus being wide open. I was given a points upgrade at checkin and there were a total of 6 people in Plus. I really can't understand why SAS offer confirmed upgrades if they are going to just deny them all the time only to give them anyhow at checkin. I know they want to manage loads to keep revenue opportunities available but this one was so wide open it is incomprehensible,
The explanation I received was: For the confirmed point upgrade to clear one of two things need to be in place:

a) Available award seat in the new class (which of course is "NEVER" in Plus)
b) The original booking class needs to be overbooked or close to fully booked.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by fassy
The explanation I received was: For the confirmed point upgrade to clear one of two things need to be in place:

a) Available award seat in the new class (which of course is "NEVER" in Plus)
b) The original booking class needs to be overbooked or close to fully booked.
Thanks Fassy,

I never knew that. Come to think of it, I have probably only ever had confirmed upgrades pass in C not plus.

regards
Darren
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: SK*G
Complimentary upgrade from Plus to Business - SFO-CPH

Had an email about 16 hours before the Monday flight. Looking at the seat map in the mobile app, Plus and C are half-empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.