Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Is an extra $550 worth it for Premium Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I have to fly from Europe to the US next month and SAS offers good connections. Their premium economy (P Class) is about $550 dearer than regular economy (for a return ticket). Would anybody who has flown in Premium Economy please offer an opinion whether it is worthwhile to shell out this extra amount for a transatlantic flight in SK premium economy?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors

I would say it depends on your status, the destination and your personal tolerance towards pain and suffering.

For the west coast it is probably worth it (especially if you do not have any status), but for the relatively short flights to the east coast I would find it a bit steep. Especially when you already have *Gold.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alibi
I would say it depends on your status, the destination and your personal tolerance towards pain and suffering. ...
Thanks for the response; naive question, how does status impact the utility of paying this premium?

FWIW, my status = *A Gold, destination is SFO and pain threshold is low

Does Premium Economy on SK get me more comfortable seats and anything better to eat?
Old May 16, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golmaale
Thanks for the response; naive question, how does status impact the utility of paying this premium?

FWIW, my status = *A Gold, destination is SFO and pain threshold is low

Does Premium Economy on SK get me more comfortable seats and anything better to eat?
As a non-status member you would also get fast-track, lounge access, etc. that we as *A are so very accustomed to already - for non-status members this would be part of the price while for *A members it is only the seat and on-board "food" that change.

You get an additional 6" of pitch and 1" of seat width (economy is 2-4-2, Plus is 2-3-2). The food isn't much better. You get a different starter & dessert as well as a different cold meal on arrival - all of which are usually better - but the main course is the same as Eco (with an additional choice of fish). $275 extra each way is pretty cheap compared to the premium, Plus seats normally go for.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:39 am

For $550 more I would not think twice and go for Plus. It makes the long flight to SFO bearable even though it will be the old cabin on a A340, not one if the new ones. Still a significant upgrade from regular economy.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by golmaale
I have to fly from Europe to the US next month and SAS offers good connections. Their premium economy (P Class) is about $550 dearer than regular economy (for a return ticket). Would anybody who has flown in Premium Economy please offer an opinion whether it is worthwhile to shell out this extra amount for a transatlantic flight in SK premium economy?
The trip in plus is so much better than in go. Especially when it is all the way to sfo. I would to for plus.

Id you like pain and to save money then go for regular economy ticket
Old May 16, 2015, 7:20 am
Suspended

This is a no-brainer; definitely fork out the cash for Plus. SFO is a looooooong flight and Plus is far better than Go.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:53 pm

Just want to throw my 2 cents in as well.

I completely agree with the above response and highly recommend shelling out the extra money.

I was on that flight(return leg) not so long ago and I took a chance and spent the extra. It made a huge difference. I actually quite enjoyed the flight and landed very refreshed. That particular flight is long(okay, not as long as the 15-hour nonstop that I just took in a cramped 777) and every extra inch counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.