Search

Damaged bags

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, OWS
Damaged bags

Hello,
Yesterday SAS managed to damage my current RIMOWA somewhere (2 SAS flights with a transfer in ARN). At my destination I reported the damage (and got the confirmation) but nobody from SAS was available.
I’m a bit confused regarding the form I received. There I have to fill out compensation details (amounts) which I don’t know yet.
Has SAS certain repair centers which must look at the damage or can I simply have the damage repaired through my local dealer and SAS will pay for the repair bill? Is the amount capped at some residual value (the luggage is 5 years old) and if so – how is it calculated?
Thank you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Send a mail to CS with reference to the report no. from the PIR report. Expect a long wait for a reply, unless you are EBG/EBD
If it is minor and repairable damage i would go ahead and have it repaired, with the PIR report in hand they should pay up at last.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I'm just a *A Silver - Gold should be arriving in a week or so (as soon as the SK flights post) - better to wait until I've got it?
The flights were in C - does that help reduce the wait?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Are you becoming EBG or other *G? I had a damaged bag at CPH after a SK flight a few weeks ago, it was luckily not my Rimowa, but another cheap bag that had gotten a crack in the shell. The lady at the arrival service gave me 2 options after she had concluded that the bag was not "totaled"

1: write to CS with referenc to the PIR report that she made. She directly told me to expect to wait for at least 6 weeks. (This is why I ask if you are EBG, the lady asked me if I was EBG, apparently there is a prioritized e-mail for golds and above.)

2: ignore the damage to the bag and travel on with it with a crack in the shell. If the bag at a later stage would fall apart completely, they would replace it.

After a short discussion she offered me to have the bag exchanged for a bag of the brand "EPIC", I've never heard of the brand before, but it seemed as the best option as the damaged bag was a relatively cheap bag.
I got the new bag on the spot, but was demanded to repack on the spot, and leave the damaged bag behind.

Anyway, if you are becoming EBG in a few days it might make sense to wait till then, mailing them. If it's another *G you're getting, then I wouldn't wait.

How much is your bag damaged?

On the positive note I just got a mail today from SK stating that because of my trouble with the bag they would give me double extra points for all SK travel during next month.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I'll be a A3 *G - not EB.

Both corners at the left side on the top are dented. One big dent (probably 5cm / 2 inches deep and 15 cm/6 in across) and a smaller one with what seems to be a small crack...

Tomorrow I'll take it to my local dealer hopefully they'll be able to repair it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.