Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Care at CPH Parking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Car Care at CPH Parking

No really a SAS topic but I guess here are a lot of regular CPH flyers (me included )

Anyway in 99% of the time I'm using the train to get to CPH or if I go by car then usually only for a day trip. So I never tried the car care service in the parking garages.

I'll be in Japan in October for two weeks and thought about getting some basic service like oil, AC and a good wash so I would be interested in your experiences.

Thanks
fassy
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
If you are living East of the bridge, you may find DK repair/Service charges, quite expensive (in general). Danes go to Sweden for maintenance of cars.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Oh... ok... never thought about that. Being a German I was already shocked by Swedish pricing.

I think the last time I paid around 15.000SEK for service on my Tuareg which in Germany usually was only half of it. All of the additional charge was just labor cost - and I didn't even bother asking VW, was at a very fair independent car shop with good reputation.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
15k SEK for servicing? You're doing something really wrong, getting a similar car serviced on a 2 year service interval cost me 6,7k SEK last time at a certified BMW dealer. Nonetheless, getting it serviced while on travel sounds extremely convenient, if anyone knows of something similar at ARN then I'm ears.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

It needed new brakes, oil etc. The price was for all the parts and material was ok (lot higher than in Germany though) but the rate for an hour of work was quite high at over 1.000SEK/hour.

Volkswagen wanted even more.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Since cars are 2X-3X more expensive in DK then it makes sense that car maintenance will be more expensive and Danish labor is more expensive than Swedish. I wonder if they have heavy taxes on parts as well?

I doubt that airport car care services are any good beyond maybe washing the car. But I do all my car maintenance myself. I wouldn't trust someone else to even change the oil.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by fassy
No really a SAS topic but I guess here are a lot of regular CPH flyers (me included )

Anyway in 99% of the time I'm using the train to get to CPH or if I go by car then usually only for a day trip. So I never tried the car care service in the parking garages.

I'll be in Japan in October for two weeks and thought about getting some basic service like oil, AC and a good wash so I would be interested in your experiences.

Thanks
fassy

ParkX offers valet parking at CPH. For one week or more the price is very reasonable. You can add cleaning and washing, but not service.

For that you could contact the (VW-) dealer at Amager, which can take your car from and to the airport. But as stated: Service would be somewhat or much more expensive than in Sweden.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Since cars are 2X-3X more expensive in DK then it makes sense that car maintenance will be more expensive and Danish labor is more expensive than Swedish. I wonder if they have heavy taxes on parts as well?

I doubt that airport car care services are any good beyond maybe washing the car. But I do all my car maintenance myself. I wouldn't trust someone else to even change the oil.
No tax on parts. But as the profit on new cars is very low in Denmark, they need to earn their money somewhere else.

I would not trust myself in even changing the oil....
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
I would not trust myself in even changing the oil....
Same here.

I did oil changes and simple service on my Golf II back in the days but at that time I did it to save money since I was a student and every DM saved helped.

Anyway, as my carreer progressed so did my salary and the value of the car followed. The unfortunate thing: The more expensive (newer or more luxurious) the cars get, the more difficult it gets to service them yourself - and the less time you have to learn about these things since you have to spend time making the money to get the car in the first place

I accepted along time back that there are things I'm good at and some were I ain't. So I pay people for the things I'm not good at or just don't have the interests to learn.

Especially since for car repairs you need a lot of specialized tools etc.

For new ones also software like VAGCOM where you can easily screw up if you don't know how to set the parameters right.

I will test the cleaning/washing service then. As I have adopted to the Swedish country side habit of just having the car washed when it rains, it could use a little bit more careful washing
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Same here.

I did oil changes and simple service on my Golf II back in the days but at that time I did it to save money since I was a student and every DM saved helped.

Anyway, as my carreer progressed so did my salary and the value of the car followed. The unfortunate thing: The more expensive (newer or more luxurious) the cars get, the more difficult it gets to service them yourself - and the less time you have to learn about these things since you have to spend time making the money to get the car in the first place

I accepted along time back that there are things I'm good at and some were I ain't. So I pay people for the things I'm not good at or just don't have the interests to learn.

Especially since for car repairs you need a lot of specialized tools etc.

For new ones also software like VAGCOM where you can easily screw up if you don't know how to set the parameters right.
Totally agree!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We sent our Saab to get it serviced in DK once due to a 'campaign'. We were very sceptical about it but because of the price we went for it.

Wow, when they finished servicing the car, they wrote to ask if we could change our licence plate frame to their company because they provided such a nice service. Mr. said, 'no'.

They didn't do much, and after that we get our services done in Sweden. In DK the problem with workshop is not only the price - a lot of people complained about their quality too. Danes go to Germany to service their German cars.

If you want cheaper service in SE, buy a Swedish car (can be imported from Germany as it's cheaper than buying it in Sweden - as long as you are expecting to sell then you can get more for your $).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Changing oil on a car is no different today as in 1989 or 1929 for that matter.

If you take it to a random garage then you will probably find that they use cheap oil and incorrect weight, use an inappropriate filter, etc.

VAGCOM (I have the software because I own VWs) actually makes things a lot simpler because you run it and you and see the fault. Consider an ABS fault: with VAGCOM you hook up your laptop and it tells you that the left front speed sensor is faulty. Order the part and change it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I'm just to old and lazy to crawl under cars anymore.

Also the last time they did an oil change, I did it in Germany and the guys where swearing quite bit since you have to remove the protective cover under the car - which was quite some dirty work

Anyway, I agree - if you can do it on your own and have fun doing so, why not? But I can't and don't have fun doing so - so I have to pay for it.

That way I guarantee a living for the guys in the car shop, I'm quite a philanthropist, aren't I?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.