Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Requesting compensation / EU261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,

I had bad flight this past weekend with a 5+hr delay due to mechanical issues resulting in a missed connection, unplanned overnight stay in Oslo and 15hr late arrival into London.

According to this document, I believe that I'm eligible for 400 EUR/ticket since I was on an intra-EU flight with total flight distances of about 4000km.

It states that if I determine I am eligible for compensation I should contact airport staff. How do I go about making a request or claim for compensation?

http://www.flysas.com/upload/Global/...1709-000_8.pdf
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:03 am

Just write a mail to the SAS customer service ([email protected]) or use the contact form on the website.

But how did you manage to get a 4.000km flight patched together in the EU? What was your itinerary
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fassy
Just write a mail to the SAS customer service ([email protected]) or use the contact form on the website.

But how did you manage to get a 4.000km flight patched together in the EU? What was your itinerary
Aren't St. Pierre & Miquelon still overseas departments of France? But, I guess that would be EUR 600 !!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by Often1
Aren't St. Pierre & Miquelon still overseas departments of France? But, I guess that would be EUR 600 !!
Or it could be either Martinique or Guadeloupe - both are part of EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinique

Svantevit
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I'm counting both scheduled segments to get to 4000km. Might be more if you count the extra stop in Munich due to crew time out...

JTR (Santorini) - OSL - LHR
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by XCstud
I'm counting both scheduled segments to get to 4000km. Might be more if you count the extra stop in Munich due to crew time out...

JTR (Santorini) - OSL - LHR
JTR - LHR is 1646 miles equal to 2649 km according to Great Circle Mapper.

And in my limited knowledge (and according to Wikipedia) it´s the great circle distance between origin and destination - and not the flown distance between all stops - that counts:

"Flight types are as follows:
1.A flight of less than 1500 km in distance
2.A flight within the EU of greater than 1500 km in distance, or any other flight of greater than 1500 km but less than 3500 km in distance
3.A flight not within EU of greater than 3500 km in distance

with the great circle method being used to determine distance."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004.

So this distance would be a type 2 flight and therefore 400 EUR.

(but I might be wrong here).

Svantevit
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by Often1
No! St. Pierre & Miquelon is considered a so called 'overseas collectivity' and is a such not a member of the EU.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Svantevit
JTR - LHR is 1646 miles equal to 2649 km according to Great Circle Mapper.

And in my limited knowledge (and according to Wikipedia) it´s the great circle distance between origin and destination - and not the flown distance between all stops - that counts:

"Flight types are as follows:
1.A flight of less than 1500 km in distance
2.A flight within the EU of greater than 1500 km in distance, or any other flight of greater than 1500 km but less than 3500 km in distance
3.A flight not within EU of greater than 3500 km in distance

with the great circle method being used to determine distance."

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004.

So this distance would be a type 2 flight and therefore 400 EUR.

(but I might be wrong here).

Svantevit
I didn't realize they used the great circle method, but I was only expecting to be eligible for 400 EUR since the flights were all within the EU and my interpretation of the wording was that >3500 km only came into play for flights that left the EU.

Does a lap infant ticket qualify compensation?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I must say that I'm quite impressed with my recent EU261 claim handling by SAS.

Flight was cancelled and rebooked to later flight with total delay of 3,5 hours. Made a claim through their website with bank details and everything, took 3 weeks for them to response that they are very sorry and have wired 250 euros to my bank account - today 3 days later money is in my account.

BTW. they don't anymore give vouchers for double value, only for the same value as EU261 compensation so better to take money. Agent said that they only give out vouchers with greater value on cases where they ask volunteers to take a later flight at the airport for example.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: A3 *G; Honors Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite; IHG Diamond;
Originally Posted by Furry

Flight was cancelled and rebooked to later flight with total delay of 3,5 hours. Made a claim through their website with bank details and everything, took 3 weeks for them to response that they are very sorry and have wired 250 euros to my bank account - today 3 days later money is in my account.

BTW. they don't anymore give vouchers for double value, only for the same value as EU261 compensation so better to take money. Agent said that they only give out vouchers with greater value on cases where they ask volunteers to take a later flight at the airport for example.
You are very luck, my flight from Stockholm to Lulea was cancelled due to insufficient crew in 26/9, and change to another flight with destination called Skelleftea, with bus afterwards to Lulea. During in departure gate, the staff asked any volunteers to fly next day. There are compensation of overnight stay hotel with dinner and breakfast, and EUR300.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue: Platinum, SAS Eurobonus: Gold, Accor: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by Furry

I cannot agree with last statement. Just last week as a reply to my complaint I received offer to get as a compensation a "customer credit" of 500 Euros or 250 Euros in cash.
So they still do offer greater value not only if you volunteer not to fly.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by zuchu
I cannot agree with last statement. Just last week as a reply to my complaint I received offer to get as a compensation a "customer credit" of 500 Euros or 250 Euros in cash.
So they still do offer greater value not only if you volunteer not to fly.
Might be agent-specific then or the fact that you are SK Diamond..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.