Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wideroe Explore Norway Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:41 pm
Suspended

BTW ,I do not think you would be able to cover all the served destinations in 14 days,sorry,if you bought 2 you probably could,maybe even by paying for an extra week!! Like the project,though!! But,its a question of some destinations being served by rather limited timetables and as public services rather than comercial ventures,unfortunately!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LH4116
Don't worry about A3. As long as you credit a flight every 36 months the status is yours to keep. Just order a replacement card through the website and it will have a new validity date. Either 12/15 or 12/16, much like when you order a replacement for your credit card.

As geirfugl says Norway is a very expensive country which is one of the reasons why I've refrained from taking advantage of the Wideroe Explore ticket. But I guess if you have a 7-digit Club Carlson account balance it shouldn't be an issue for you. It's a beautiful country and I hope you'll enjoy your summer in Norway.

You realy should not excegerate the cost of hotels in Norway during the summer,its the small things like taking the bus to the airport that is crazy expensive, summertime hotels in Norway are downright cheap.particularily when you figure in the discounts for multiple day stays and the free breakfast,a 10 minute airport transfer can cost 20 % of a summertime hotel rate in a tiny town.

The only places where this does not aply is probably in the clasical summertime destinatins along the Oslofjord stretch and Sųrlandet,where the summertime prices are actually higher than other times,particularely during weekends.

By TAXI,the transfer is the same as the hotel. FYI,a botle of water from a convenience store (500cc) costs abouth 4-5 usd in Norway,a newspaper the same.

Meals are also very expensive,more so outside of Oslo,bcs there is very litle competition,in Oslo for lunch you can eat resonably well for lunc and its not crazy expensive,but a realy good dinner with wine is at least 200-300 usd,ok that costs anywhere,but not like Norway!!! And BTW,this price range would severely limit you as to the wine list,realy severely,no vintage playing for 300 bucks!! And no hope of a decent level of intoxication either!!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 17, 2014 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geirfugl
Meals are also very expensive,more so outside of Oslo,bcs there is very litle competition,in Oslo for lunch you can eat resonably well for lunc and its not crazy expensive,but a realy good dinner with wine is at least 200-300 usd,ok that costs anywhere,but not like Norway!!! And BTW,this price range would severely limit you as to the wine list,realy severely,no vintage playing for 300 bucks!! And no hope of a decent level of intoxication either!!!
I guess the hotel costs can be reasonable, depending of course where you book. My last time was at Bergen Airport in the summer of 2011, where I paid 900 NOK for a night incl breakfast at the Clarion Flesland. Quite steep for my standards but reasonable considering the hotel offered some nice facilities and good proximity to the terminal. Getting to the airport however was a different story. A couple of bus tickets, a bottle of Pepsi and a pizza slice and I was already upwards of 350 NOK in spending.

Thankfully we have some good friends to the family who live 60 miles north of Bergen in Nordhordland. We visit them from time to time, and they are kind enough to let me use their guest room as they have a pretty big house. There is also a bar in the basement so the intoxication issue is sorted Of course I returned the favor by helping out with building the new porch.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
BTW ,I do not think you would be able to cover all the served destinations in 14 days,sorry,if you bought 2 you probably could,maybe even by paying for an extra week!! Like the project,though!! But,its a question of some destinations being served by rather limited timetables and as public services rather than comercial ventures,unfortunately!!
I did a preliminary check. Among the 43 domestic airports WF serve, only 5 (HVG/MEH/BVG/BJF/VAN) are not reachable from BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD via non-stop service. All these five can be reached via a couple Finnmark hops So theoritically by basing oneself in BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD, one can cover all 43 Norwegian airports serviced by WF.

Among BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD, OSL/TRD has Radisson right by the airport. BOO has one within walking distance. TOS/BGO also has one in downtown, but one needs to take a bus to reach there. Are there any other accomodation suggestions near TOS/BGO?

By the way, can one take those four international routes (GOT/CPH/ABZ/NCE) during the 2-week time, not necessarily at the beginning/ending of the pass?

Last edited by cloudybw; Apr 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:30 pm
Suspended

I guess the hotel costs can be reasonable, depending of course where you book. My last time was at Bergen Airport in the summer of 2011, where I paid 900 NOK for a night incl breakfast at the Clarion Flesland. Quite steep for my standards but reasonable considering the hotel offered some nice facilities and good proximity to the terminal. Getting to the airport however was a different story. A couple of bus tickets, a bottle of Pepsi and a pizza slice and I was already upwards of 350 NOK in spending.

Thankfully we have some good friends to the family who live 60 miles north of Bergen in Nordhordland. We visit them from time to time, and they are kind enough to let me use their guest room as they have a pretty big house. There is also a bar in the basement so the intoxication issue is sorted Of course I returned the favor by helping out with building the new porch.

I said that,in Norway about 500 nok goes from the airport to the hotel if Your not careful,BUT Norwegian hotels are generaly cheaper than swedish,and for tourism purposes,but its worse in Sweden,where the taxi bussines resembles India.

You can get realy decent hotels in Norway in the summer for abouth 700 Nok a night,and thats not more than what youd pay in a provincial town anywhere else,certainly much less than in Sweden!!

Realy no offence meant,but since the servive providers are generaly swee....

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

That is basically why Norway is costly,because building a porch COSTs,and seing a doctor COSTs a bit more,but not so much.That is why we Scandinavians are THE BEST. And in Norway they even subsidise your flights if you live somewhere where thats Your only alterntive.

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 17, 2014 at 7:06 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Realy no offence meant,but since the servive providers are generaly swee....
Yes I know. We did joke around about that since it was pretty ironic given the situation.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
I played around WF website a bit and made up an available itinerary this summer to cover all Norwegian airports WF serve in 13 days...

Sometimes the check availability site shows
The following warning(s) occured

The requested cabin class is full or not available in at least one of the options listed below. (5003)
However, it still list a few options. Are these listed options bookable?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cloudybw
I did a preliminary check. Among the 43 domestic airports WF serve, only 5 (HVG/MEH/BVG/BJF/VAN) are not reachable from BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD via non-stop service. All these five can be reached via a couple Finnmark hops So theoritically by basing oneself in BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD, one can cover all 43 Norwegian airports serviced by WF.

Among BGO/BOO/OSL/TOS/TRD, OSL/TRD has Radisson right by the airport. BOO has one within walking distance. TOS/BGO also has one in downtown, but one needs to take a bus to reach there. Are there any other accomodation suggestions near TOS/BGO?

By the way, can one take those four international routes (GOT/CPH/ABZ/NCE) during the 2-week time, not necessarily at the beginning/ending of the pass?
In TOS,the airport is virtually downtown,you can even take a local bus(normal city bus rather than the airport bus),so no problem,dont think there are any acomodation closer to the airport that would be significantly more practical for your purpose,the airport bus stops directly in front of the Radison,Takes 10-15 minutes.The TRD and OSL hotels are directly conected to the airports and the BOO airport is also virtually downtown,even closer than TOS.There are discounts for round trips on the airport buses ewrywhere. BGO and TRD are relatively far from downtown.

The international routes can only be used at the begining/end.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, BA Bronze, Thon Gold, Nordic Choice Silver

BGO has a Clarion hotel connected - so if you have a Nordic Choice card, you could use that. Most of the other hotels require a bus/taxi. Flybussen does a monthly ticket (around 750kr I think) which could be useful if you're planning on going into the city more than about 4 times... Otherwise, you can take a normal bus into town for 50kr or so but it's a once-an-hour affair with lots of stops on the way. There are 2 Radisson Hotels in Bergen, both very close to the flybuss stops.

As for the international routes - they are only valid for the beginning and end of your flight. Once you do an international flight out of norway to one of the 4 cities, your ticket will expire. Whether or not you can start in one of those 4 and end in another, I don't know.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by timlno
BGO has a Clarion hotel connected - so if you have a Nordic Choice card, you could use that. Most of the other hotels require a bus/taxi. Flybussen does a monthly ticket (around 750kr I think) which could be useful if you're planning on going into the city more than about 4 times... Otherwise, you can take a normal bus into town for 50kr or so but it's a once-an-hour affair with lots of stops on the way. There are 2 Radisson Hotels in Bergen, both very close to the flybuss stops.

As for the international routes - they are only valid for the beginning and end of your flight. Once you do an international flight out of norway to one of the 4 cities, your ticket will expire. Whether or not you can start in one of those 4 and end in another, I don't know.
I looked up the Clarion,its relatively expensive at at least 1000 NOK prepaid for July dates,if you cannot use points.But then again some of the flights leave early in the morning,and rountrip bus fare plus missed breakfast would be abouth 400.For your project,I would also think that TIME SAVED would be quite esential
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

In TOS,the airport is virtually downtown,you can even take a local bus(normal city bus rather than the airport bus),so no problem,dont think there are any acomodation closer to the airport that would be significantly more practical for your purpose,the airport bus stops directly in front of the Radison,Takes 10-15 minutes.The TRD and OSL hotels are directly conected to the airports and the BOO airport is also virtually downtown,even closer than TOS.There are discounts for round trips on the airport buses ewrywhere. BGO and TRD are relatively far from downtown.

The international routes can only be used at the begining/end.
Thanks. It seems the earliest Flybussen bus gets to TOS at 5:45 in the morning, which is probably too tight for the milk run starting at 6:00... Also, it seems the schedule for local bus 40 & 42 that go through TOS excludes summer time for now, but I doubt it would be much earlier than current 6:36 schedule... Any other accommodation suggestions near TOS?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:01 am
Suspended

Thanks. It seems the earliest Flybussen bus gets to TOS at 5:45 in the morning, which is probably too tight for the milk run starting at 6:00... Also, it seems the schedule for local bus 40 & 42 that go through TOS excludes summer time for now, but I doubt it would be much earlier than current 6:36 schedule... Any other accommodation suggestions near TOS?
5:45 would probably be to tight ,TOS airport is so close that even at Norwegian prices you can take a cab withouth breaking the bank,there is nothing in reasonable walking distance from the airport,I think there is a Choice closer to the airport,but since you can use points for the Radisson I would go for that,I would think a cab would be sort of 150.

Actually,there is a student dorm place that used to provide summertime acomodation closer to TOS,that would probably be real cheap,it was halfway to the airport,it was called "Prestvannet studenthjem",but I have no idea if it still does this, (or wheter its still is a student place,it was quite big)and it would not be realy close to the airport,although going downhill virtually the whole way,actually going downhill to go downtown also,which was a relief after parties in my young days!!

Actually,for 5:45,staying up is always an option,Tromsų is famous for its nightlife,and as you probably know it will be light all night,offcs Norway is not famous for the cheapness of its nightlife,I would not beliewe you would be the only one that had been up all night on this particular flight at this time of the year!! It is quite fascinating seeing the main street of Tromsų,fully sunlit,and jam packed with people at abouth 4 am,with the seagulls doing their crazy dives for the scattered remains of the nighttime kebabs!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 20, 2014 at 4:37 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

5:45 would probably be to tight ,TOS airport is so close that even at Norwegian prices you can take a cab withouth breaking the bank,there is nothing in reasonable walking distance from the airport,I think there is a Choice closer to the airport,but since you can use points for the Radisson I would go for that,I would think a cab would be sort of 150.

Actually,there is a student dorm place that used to provide summertime acomodation closer to TOS,that would probably be real cheap,it was halfway to the airport,it was called "Prestvannet studenthjem",but I have no idea if it still does this, (or wheter its still is a student place,it was quite big)and it would not be realy close to the airport,although going downhill virtually the whole way,actually going downhill to go downtown also,which was a relief after parties in my young days!!

Actually,for 5:45,staying up is always an option,Tromsų is famous for its nightlife,and as you probably know it will be light all night,offcs Norway is not famous for the cheapness of its nightlife,I would not beliewe you would be the only one that had been up all night on this particular flight at this time of the year!! It is quite fascinating seeing the main street of Tromsų,fully sunlit,and jam packed with people at abouth 4 am,with the seagulls doing their crazy dives for the scattered remains of the nighttime kebabs!!
Thanks for insight information! I did a quick search and the Prestvannet student housing still exists. However, it seems they only offer rooms to regular students, not visitors?

It is only 5km from Tromso downtown to TOS, simlar to LYR. Maybe walking is also an option?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:08 pm

Walking 5km with 2*23kg checked baggage? Not very attractive in my point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.