Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Full SK shorthaul flight: impressions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I’m not a very regular or frequent SK flyer, and the flights are invariably shorthaul. The vast majority of these are AMS-CPH and vice versa. The following observations are based on a flight the other day from Kastrup to Schiphol

Online check-in

I normally just use the nearest PC, without any problems. This time I tried the (Android) app, which proved to be most uncooperative. It kept me waiting for ages at every single step, leaving me to stare at a screen with a faux wood paneling background (very Scandinavian, I guess), whilst it did God knows what. When something finally did pop up, such as the seat map, it vanished within a second, leaving me with a blank screen again. After trying any number of times I did finally manage to check in and select a seat, but all attempts at downloading the boarding card failed. All I got was error messages. Annoying, but not really a problem, I finally did what I should have in the first place, used a PC.

CPH Gold lounge

I know that this lounge is upstairs, but I have never seen any signs indicating this, or informing guests that the lounge is restricted to gold card holders. The agents at the desk have also never told me that I should head upstairs, they apparently just assume that everybody knows?

I usually fly early afternoon, thus avoiding the rush hours, and generally find the lounge pretty quiet. This time was different. At about 11 a.m. something that resembled a home invasion took place. The lounge was suddenly overrun by guests, including a sizeable contingent of children. In no time the place was packed, and a general assault on the buffet commenced. I did a quick walkabout, and estimated the number of visitors at 150+, of which over 100 had arrived in a very short period of time. I actually asked one of the lounge agents, who explained to me that the sudden influx was due to the imminent departure of a couple of longhauls. I checked the monitor, and found flights to Washington and San Francisco departing shortly after 12 noon. Apparently EB Golds can bring up to four family members with them when visiting the lounge, which explained the large number of kids. Before I upset anyone: I have nothing against kids, and all those in the lounge were well-behaved. It was the sheer number of guests of all ages that was the issue. There must have been over 100 Golds and hangers-on on those two flights. I stand to be corrected, but such a number seems very high to me. Perhaps it is far too easy for ineligible guest to walk up those stairs, whether intentionally or inadvertently? Whatever the case may be, the hordes vanished again as quickly as they had arrived, leaving behind a plundered buffet.

In general, I find the catering, selection of magazines and other facilities more than decent, although I struggle to see what the Gold lounge offers over and above that which is offered downstairs.

Boarding

The flight departed from one of those gate with self-service boarding cards scanners, but they were not used. A proper priority boarding announcement was made for SAS Plus and Golds, but the agent at the boarding point let the pax scan themselves, without checking eligibility. Nevertheless, it seemed to work pretty well, with most of those first to board taking seats in Plus.

Operational Upgrades

The flight was completely full, and the remaining seats in Plus were filled with pax who had obviously been upgraded at the gate. They mostly ended up in middle seats, thus splitting pax traveling together but seated in aisle and window seats. The original intention must have been to keep middle seats free, which did not work out to the advantage to those who had actually paid for Plus.

Does SK have a rule-based upgrade policy, or is it at the discretion of the gate agents? Not that I care (see below about Plus) but this Star Alliance Gold was left in Go, whilst those upgraded struck me as non-elite or infrequent pax. They were amongst the last to board, and interestingly pax traveling together had been split, with some upgraded and some left in the back. Is or should there be any rhyme or reason to the process?

Departure

The FAs had great difficulty getting the carry-ons stowed, which delayed our departure by 11 minutes. There was no supervision during boarding, with predictable consequences. Several Go pax took advantage of the first overhead bin they could find, thus cramming every locker in the Plus rows full. Other pax just dumped their bags willy-nilly, taking up more space than necessary. The result was that the cabin crew had to run up and down the aisle rearranging bags and trying to shove and squeeze in the homeless ones. They then had to inform the pax concerned where they could find their bags upon arrival.

In-flight catering

I’ve rarely seen such inefficient and uncoordinated cabin service. Two FAs, each with a trolley, started by serving those in Plus, which comprised of three full rows. The trolleys completely blocked the aisle, so the purser who was trying to serve coffee and tea from the front could not get any further than the first row. It took ages as well. The first trolley reached the first row in Go 35 minutes after push-back, by which time the purser also managed to offer those in the last Plus row coffee and tea.

I was asked whether I wanted anything, to which I replied that I would appreciate a glass of water. On a flight two weeks ago, there had been a two-liter bottle on the trolley, from which water was poured for those who asked. This time the FA asked me whether I wanted to buy a bottle of water. I said no, a glass would do. I was then indeed given water, which was poured from one of the half-liter bottles that were offered for sale. Now the plastic cups are not big to begin with, and I do understand that it is not a good idea to fill them to the brim on an aircraft. However, the cup I was given was not even half full. One gulp of water is what I got. How petty and spiteful. I bet the FAs sell on commission, but that’s no excuse for being vindictive. I would have recommended retraining, but for this FA early retirement would be the better option by far.

Once the trolleys had vanished down the aisle, the purser came along and offered coffee. Every time somebody asked for tea instead, he went back to the forward galley, swapped the coffee can for one with tea, and returned to serve the pax a cup. He then went back to get the coffee can again! I cannot think of a more time-consuming and inefficient way to go about it. Those seated in the last rows must have received

Plus

I’ve only once flown Plus, which was enough to relegate the product to the “never again” category, at least if I’m paying. The flight was BRU-CPH, and I had a whole row to myself, but the catering and service were awful. The senior FA (purser?) was not only unfriendly but downright rude. She pushed her trolley down the aisle, addressing each pax with a peremptory “Ja?” I was lucky to be in row one, because she ran out of sandwiches by row 2, and Plus comprised of seven rows. I was not impressed by the quality of the salad or sandwich either. That the middle seat is not kept free in Plus clinches it: a product to be avoided. They should change to name to Minus forthwith

In conclusion

A flight in Go on a full A320 is definitely not something to look forward to. I understand that this may come across as a bit of a whinge, so I hasten to add that the experience was not really typical. Most flights I’ve taken have been no more than half full, which makes a big difference. Between AMS and CPH SK is no better or worse than KL in economy, but the latter’s premium product is clearly superior. Still not value for money, but at least the middle seats are kept free.

Johan
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:05 am

I do agree that flying SAS Plus for extra comfort doesn't deliver a convincing product. If the price for Plus is significantly higher than the price for Go and I don't need flexibility on the booking I would always opt for Go.

That the cabin crew were not to great is just bad luck. I fly SAS short haul basically every week for the last 3 years and as far as I can remember there were two or three flight crews which did a poor job.

About the lounge... It is the same in all other big Star gold lounges over the world, espacially on weekends before some holiday like Easter now. I think the Scandinavian lounge in CPH is even better than most others as it is really open and spacious - I don't feel cramped in as soon as more people move in.

I also see a lot of families in the lounge right now while I'm waiting on the SFO flight - but I'm more scared about the flight with all the kids than the time in the lounge. I hope they move all families to the back of the bus.

Oh, one more: The SAS App for check-in is pretty reliable and stable for me since a year or so.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 13, 2014 at 2:39 am
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I think you were quite unlucky with the app. There were some technical problems earlier this week (someone reported here that the systems were under a DOS attack). It normally works pretty reasonably, but I was unable to check in earlier this week myself.

Regarding cleanliness of the equipment, I unfortunately have to agree. This has been a problem for several years now, and is getting worse and worse. I would really like SK machines to be as clean as LH ones. On this point LH is clearly a good example to follow.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Johan Rebel, interesting to see you in the SAS forum. I fly very often from Oslo to Amsterdam and the majority via CPH to add my qualification flights. I have to say to a certain degree I agree with you, but again I think you are very unlucky. SAS Gold/Diamond members has a unmentioned perk: free blocked seat next to you compared to KLM platinum which is nothing. In addition, SAS top tiers can order seats anywhere on the flight free of charge compared to KLM where only Platinums can get it. SAS upgrades passengers by first EuroBonus Diamond, Gold, Silver than *Alliance Gold. So for you, you would be 4th in line and with the new Silver threshold I would say you should give up hoping. SAS Scandinnavian Lounge is a billion times better than the Crown lounge in Amsterdam. One thing I do not like with SAS, is the lack of enforced boarding. But I think this comes with the Scandinavian attitude where everyone is treated equally compared the Dutch thinking of pay more better treatment. Lastly, SAS states clearly they give you free tea and coffee. Water is an unmentioned benefit, and is not complimentary. If you get it, be happy I would say. Yes, I know when it comes to drinks KLM is better, and yaya we get the cookie or chips free on KLM... but come on it is pathetic what we get anyways...

Not trying to say your report is bad, but I am sort of in favour for SAS compared to KLM on the trips between Scandinavia and Amsterdam. Downside only, KLM has way more flights than SAS per day.

SB
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by fassy
About the lounge... It is the same in all other big Star gold lounges over the world, espacially on weekends before some holiday like Easter now. I think the Scandinavian lounge in CPH is even better than most others as it is really open and spacious - I don't feel cramped in as soon as more people move in.

Oh, one more: The SAS App for check-in is pretty reliable and stable for me since a year or so.
I agree. Been several times at LH´s business lounges, they are always crowded. For first time at Scandinavian lounge at CPH, it was a spacious and comfortable visit there before my NRT flight.

Also SAS iPhone app is pretty reliable to use, check in was easy for all flights.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: SK EB Gold *G, LH M&M FT *S, LeClubAccor Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Been very often to SAS lounge in Copenhagen. It is very spacious compared to LH lounge in Frankfurt. Even I almost never have to queue to pick up food, drinks, etc. Not happened when I was in LH lounge. So probably you were in a bad time
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for sharing Johan! I can only agree about SAS, they're not an airline you fly for the service. To me they're still my go-to airline and I find them very useful for getting a one way from A to B cheap and conveniently. I fly GO most of the time and if you have status one shouldn't even bother with PLUS.

Boarding at CPH is a mayhem. I have encountered non-status pax being upgraded over status pax several times, and at one occasion they even bumped a EBG passenger from Economy Extra (as it was called at the time) and gave the seat to a non-status holder, even though he was originally booked and paid to fly in that cabin.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by r.supriyadi
Been very often to SAS lounge in Copenhagen. It is very spacious compared to LH lounge in Frankfurt.
I also like this IKEA SAS Lounge
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I actually liked it before the refurbishment recently. While the capacity has greatly increased, the overlook atmosphere has dropped dramatically. I think the interior lacks a consistent design now.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:38 pm

Agreed. They kind of messed up the lounge, particularly the Gold Lounge after the refurbishment by bringing in the tacky cheap furniture and removing some of the wood fixtures. At the Arlanda Lounge they've done away with most of those plush and comfy sofas and nowadays I only sit either in the far corner or at the marble tables.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:58 pm

Just sitting in the United Lounge in SFO which is really a sad place, whoever complains about the CPH SAS lounge should be locked in here for a couple of hours - the EVA lounge is not much better as well...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
Just sitting in the United Lounge in SFO which is really a sad place, whoever complains about the CPH SAS lounge should be locked in here for a couple of hours - the EVA lounge is not much better as well...
The United Clubs in SFO are unbelievably sad, any subway station in Tokyo has cleaner toilets. Considering that this is one of their main hubs...

But UA should not really be the scale that SK defines themselves by when it comes to lounges...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But UA should not really be the scale that SK defines themselves by when it comes to lounges...
In Business Class however, United are miles ahead of SAS on pretty much every product aspect. Check out this report!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
In Business Class however, United are miles ahead of SAS on pretty much every product aspect. Check out this report!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html
Unfortunately truth is UA is the worst major in the US and possibly the worst US airline period, in numerous surveys and DoT complaints. The flights go MX so often it's amazing they don't just have the passengers flap their arms to stay airborne. The United Clubs are, with a rare exception, complete dumps and you're better off being out among regular people. Many UA flight crews, particularly the bitter PMCO variety, are so hateful I'd rather spend the day among disgruntled US postal workers who are moonlighting at the DMV. UA's "soft product" is soft only in its doughy employees, not in its handling of customers; you get better service on UAX.

I know what I'm getting with SK. Sometimes a bit cool, but never the attitude problem of the UA staff. Plus some customers would do well to know their place, and SK is kind enough to remind Germans that they need to queue like adults, not mass like a bunch of hysterical 5 year olds.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by copperred
Unfortunately truth is UA is the worst major in the US and possibly the worst US airline period, in numerous surveys and DoT complaints. The flights go MX so often it's amazing they don't just have the passengers flap their arms to stay airborne. The United Clubs are, with a rare exception, complete dumps and you're better off being out among regular people. Many UA flight crews, particularly the bitter PMCO variety, are so hateful I'd rather spend the day among disgruntled US postal workers who are moonlighting at the DMV. UA's "soft product" is soft only in its doughy employees, not in its handling of customers; you get better service on UAX.

I know what I'm getting with SK. Sometimes a bit cool, but never the attitude problem of the UA staff. Plus some customers would do well to know their place, and SK is kind enough to remind Germans that they need to queue like adults, not mass like a bunch of hysterical 5 year olds.
Dictionary needed:
- DoT ?
- MX ?
- PMCO ?
- DMV ?
- UAX ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.