Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Free in-flight wifi on SAS flights, for SAS EuroBonus customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Originally Posted by SAS
News! WiFi onboard SAS is free of charge for EuroBonus members

Keep in touch with your loved ones on the ground or exchange ideas with a colleague before you arrive at a meeting.

With SAS WiFi, you can use the Internet when it suits you. When the plane reaches a cruising altitude of over 12,000 feet (about 3600 meters), SAS WiFi offers you a powerful WiFi and GSM connection. We have begun the installation of WiFi onboard and will first start on our Boeing 737-800 fleet.

Prices and payment

All EuroBonus members: Free
SAS Plus passengers: Free
SAS Go passengers who are not yet EuroBonus members: € 8 for flights in the Nordic region (including Finland) and € 12 for flights in Europe. Click here for other currencies.
http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/S...oard/?vst=true

So for logging in, on those SK flights which have this service, what actual info does the customer have to supply on board the flight?

Given the 737-800s are only around 20% of SK's fleet and given who knows what status of the roll-out on this sub-fleet, it seems like the odds of getting this service aren't so great anytime soon.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 1, 2013 at 1:24 am
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by GUWonder
http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/S...oard/?vst=true

So for logging in, on those SK flights which have this service, what actual info does the customer have to supply on board the flight?
As far as I remember: your Eurobonusnumber.

Given the 737-800s are only around 20% of SK's fleet and given who knows what status of the roll-out on this sub-fleet, it seems like the odds of getting this service aren't so great anytime soon.
But the chances are low. Only 10 airplanes have the system, and the roll-out is stopped.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
So only 10 out of the 27 B738s has the system and that the roll-out is stopped. When booking you can aim for flights with a B738, but there is no way of knowing whether it will have WiFi or not.

It seems to me that calling attention to a feature that is impossible to order and that there is such a low probability of being able to use is more likely to cause frustration than satisfaction.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
As far as I remember: your Eurobonusnumber.

But the chances are low. Only 10 airplanes have the system, and the roll-out is stopped.
So no more than 8% of SK's total available seats are going to have this service anytime soon? Sounds like the marketing has gotten a bit too aggressive, given a halt to expansion of the service.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
And the requirement for a Eurobonus account (any status or none) is nonsensical. Really, my *G is worth nothing, but if I sign up for an EB account with no intention of ever using it, it is free? You're not really selling yourselves, SAS, by making up such a silly rule for accessing Wifi in the unlikely event that it should be available on my flight. Psychologically, it's fascinating how they can be so completely in denial about the existence of Norwegian.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jul 2, 2013 at 9:57 am Reason: Misplaced apostrophe
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
And the requirement for a Eurobonus account (any status or none) is nonsensical. Really, my *G is worth nothing, but if I sign up for an EB account with no intention of ever using it, it is free? Your'e not really selling yourselves, SAS, by making up such a silly rule for accessing Wifi in the unlikely event that it should be available on my flight. Psychologically, it's fascinating how they can be so completely in denial about the existence of Norwegian.
Agreed. I have yet to try Norwegian, but I have fewer and fewer reasons not to.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Daner
Believe me, once you have had close encounters with DYs ground service, there are plenty of reasons to avoid DY. The last couple of years I have had waaay better service from SAS ground service than from their DY counterparts - their arrogance and complete lack of customer service is striking.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I like the change, it used to be EBG/EBP only for free other pax needed to pay, now they need to speed up the rollout of internet in the machines
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Originally Posted by Daner
Believe me, once you have had close encounters with ...
And once you had close encounters with DY wifi, you will know that it is just a gimmick. If SAS' implementation is as bad as DY's, it is not even worth maintaining a thread on FT about it.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
DY is quite OK for point-to-point connections in Scandinavia, especially between points where they have many connections a day (so risk of things going really wrong are low). I use them quite regularly for such service. Their cabinn is also often much nicer than their wifi. The latter you can forget. I mean it probably can be used for firing a few text messages over skype if you need to kill some time on your phone, but for nothing else. And on about half flights I tried (DK domestic) I only experienced an apology by the PA system that the wifi is out of service ...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
For my very small sample size (1 SK and 2 DY flights with wifi) I'd say SK is miles ahead on usable wifi. On a ex-spain flight on SK a lot of people used it, and it worked very well. My prying eyes saw some video clips play off of facebook and youtube without hickups on peoples phones.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: Skywards GOLD, Eurobonus DIAMOND, Etihad Guest GOLD
Originally Posted by wazow
DY is quite OK for point-to-point connections in Scandinavia, especially between points where they have many connections a day (so risk of things going really wrong are low). I use them quite regularly for such service. Their cabinn is also often much nicer than their wifi. The latter you can forget. I mean it probably can be used for firing a few text messages over skype if you need to kill some time on your phone, but for nothing else. And on about half flights I tried (DK domestic) I only experienced an apology by the PA system that the wifi is out of service ...
Ask their US/long haul pax if thei agree with you :-)

SAS had 100% ontime flights from JFK to OSL during christmas, so I just say: Cobbler stick to your last!!

I would NEVER gamble and fly DY over SK!!!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Schwert
Ask their US/long haul pax if thei agree with you :-)
Anything interesting happened with DY LH during last Christmas?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow
Anything interesting happened with DY LH during last Christmas?
Many flights with 24 to 72 hour delays. Some people got to spend Christmas eve and new year's eve in the air where they were planning to be home. DY did not rebook to other carriers, and had problems finding hotel rooms so some people had to sleep one night in hotel lobbies. Will see if I can find a link.

Link added (hope you read Norwegian) e24.no/naeringsliv/det-blir-nyttaar-i-new-york-for-norwegian-passasjerene/22690297

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 3, 2014 at 11:28 am Reason: added link
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:15 pm

Interesting. Another B787 victim it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.