Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SK Scandinavia-Houston [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by ksu
No, we can't. Norway is in the EEA, but we are a separate customs area. There is a full customs check arriving to Norway from the EU. The allowance for importing goods as a traveller is the same, whether arriving from the UK or the US: max value of NOK 6000/person.
I think the chances that you will be checked are very slim, especially if you're white. The only people I've ever seen checked tend to be non whites. Plenty of people buy tax free in the UK then load up again in OSL on arrival.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Without disregarding the massive problems ith the so-called Dreamliner, it is striking that no other airline have the massive problems that Mr. Kjos seems to have. The complete lack of reliability and customer service in DYs long haul operatons are striking indeed. Me thinks Kjos has created a problem for him self.
Was going to post something similar in reply to UltraRant, it's a unique problem to DY with all these problems and cancellations.

After the battery problem grounding the global 787 fleet, I've not heard of any incidents. Airlines who introduced the aircraft after the resolution seem to be very pleased with it. My original point was mostly because I do really enjoy flying the aircraft, have only had very positive experiences on JAL, BA and Qatar. It seems the logical fit for SK as they need more long haul destinations rather then flying larger aircrafts to the current ones.

Last edited by FlyingMoose; Jan 6, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
No, we can't. Norway is in the EEA, but we are a separate customs area. There is a full customs check arriving to Norway from the EU. The allowance for importing goods as a traveller is the same, whether arriving from the UK or the US: max value of NOK 6000/person.
Yes. And as long as you've been outside of Norway for at least 24 hours, whether as a resident or visitor of Norway, it's max value of 6000NOK/person. Less than 24 hours outside of Norway, and its 3000NOK/person.

If you have lots of plastic bags with clinging bottles, there is a greater chance to be checked. If you come off certain flights or have some kind of ethnic minority looks, the chances of checks are also higher. It's more rare to get flagged coming off a US or UK trip if of ethnic Scandinavian appearance.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
What are the consequences? Just paying the customs? Or is there a hefty fine?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:43 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by wazow
What are the consequences? Just paying the customs? Or is there a hefty fine?
For alcohol/tobacco: up to the amount that can be legally imported by a private person: pay the customs duty and a fine and keep the goods AFAIK. Over that: increasing fines and confiscation, and risk of prosecution.

Similar logic for other goods, but I don't know the limits.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:49 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I think the chances that you will be checked are very slim, especially if you're white. The only people I've ever seen checked tend to be non whites. Plenty of people buy tax free in the UK then load up again in OSL on arrival.
I am a white Norwegian, and I have certainly been checked, but very rarely.

But the fact that the risk of getting caught is slim, was not my point. My point is that there is a limit for how much can be imported to Norway from the EU. And travelling to Norway from the EU, goods can actually be bought tax-free. On some products (booze) there is a price difference in airport shops between goods bought to carry-on to an EU destination and to an non-EU destination (i.e. Norway). And of course, Norwegians are entitled to VAT refund when exporting goods to Norway from most EU countries.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Seems as if they will announce the Stavanger-Houston route today. Still just rumors, but what else will SAS announce in Stavanger today with top management on site?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Seems as if they will announce the Stavanger-Houston route today. Still just rumors, but what else will SAS announce in Stavanger today with top management on site?
Seems like a good guess. SK top management and the Scandinavian press corps in Stavanger, they are probably not there to talk about the weather.

Will be interesting to hear.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
It is now confirmed that the route will open up.

And in a plane with on C-class...

It will start August 20th and fly 6 times weekly in a B737-700 in a pure C class setup with 44 seats. It is a wet lease that SAS is using.

Link: http://se.yhp.waymaker.net/sasgroup/....asp?id=269319

/Henrik
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
2014-03-31

SAS launches services between Stavanger and Houston

SAS is launching services between Stavanger and Houston on August 20. This fulfils the wishes of leading players in the oil industry for better connections between Norway, and the rest of Scandinavia, and Houston, Texas.

"The route we have established is a tailored product for a defined market with particular travel needs," says Rickard Gustafson, President and CEO of SAS.

The route will be operated by a business version of the Boeing 737-700 and will have an SAS Long Haul Business Class concept on board, with just 44 comfortable business seats, along with a modern inflight entertainment system and full-service meals and service.

"The favorable timetable provides excellent connections throughout Scandinavia in both directions, while Houston is a hub for places to the south and west such as Mexico, Los Angeles, Dallas and Phoenix with the Star Alliance," says Rickard Gustafson.

SAS has entered into a "wet lease" agreement with the company PrivatAir, which has this special version of the Boeing 737-700. The aircraft will carry SAS's distinctive colors and logo.

The route will launch on August 20, just ahead of the major oil exhibition in Stavanger, Offshore Northern Seas (ONS). Tickets for route, which will operate daily except Saturdays, go on sale on April 29.

For more information:
Tormod Sandstø
Press officer, SAS
[email protected]
+47 95718586

SAS is Scandinavia's leading airline with daily flights to destinations in Europe, USA and Asia. SAS is a member of Star Alliance™ (http://www.staralliance.com/en/) and, together with 27 partners, we offer 1300 destinations worldwide in 193 countries. For more information, visit www.flysas.com

This information was brought to you by Waymaker: http://www.waymaker.net
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Deleted as double posting
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: SK, LH, BA, AF
On the Danish site www.check-in.dk it has now been confirmed that SAS will start a route between Stavanger-Houston.
It will be a b737-700 All Business on a wet-lease.
Sorry but the link is in Danish
http://www.check-in.dk/Bekraeftet-SA...n#.UzlEi9ylopE
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Various
So it happened. I'm surprised and I just hope this will be viable.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Surely there must be a customer commitment behind this route...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
SAS launches services between Stavanger and Houston

http://news.cision.com/sas/r/sas-lau...uston,c9560694

Yes quite a surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.