Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Convert extra points to basic points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite

My earning period ends 31 April and for the first time since 2007, I am very unlikely to requalify for gold (have been EBD twice as well) since I only have accumulated around 15000 basic points and with only cheap *A eco flights in the forseable future (I am temporarily based in the Middle East since June 2016 and hardly never set foot on SK).

I was hoping to receive a life time Gold membership since I have earned minimum Gold for 10 consecutive years which member-service more or less confirmed to me in an e-mail early last year would happen but we all know the current delay/uncertainty around this perk.

I am a little desperate. I have close to 500,000 points in my account. Did I at some point see something around converting extra points to basic points at a 10:1 ration or was this a dream? Would it be possible for member-service to convert manually? Any other suggestions? I have the MC premium card but the 1000 status points per month will not get me even close to the 45,000 before end of April.

Many thanks
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: *G
You can convert/buy to a maximum of 15.000 basic points towards gold:
https://points.flysas.com/

I understand that it might be worth a lot with the possibility of lifetime gold, but unless your miles are otherwise going to expire, it's a very high price to maintain gold. Do you have the possibility to do a MR?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
If you have time and you really want it I would look for some C-offers that still earn you 200%. The rest (if there is anything left missing) you can then still fill with some exchanged miles.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentCPH
You can convert/buy to a maximum of 15.000 basic points towards gold:
https://points.flysas.com/

I understand that it might be worth a lot with the possibility of lifetime gold, but unless your miles are otherwise going to expire, it's a very high price to maintain gold. Do you have the possibility to do a MR?
Thanks. As stupid as it may sound the main objektive for reaching gold one final time is the life time gold possibility (Im in my early 40ies) even if looks more and like this perk (LTG after 10 consequtive years regardless of age) will not be introduced.

As far as I can see if it’s only possible to buy (not convert) basic points and only when you are 15.000 left of achieving gold. Currently I can only buy extra points. Am I missing something?

I live temporarely in Amman. Expensive and time consuming to do a MR from here connecting to SK. AMM is served by LH, OS, MS and possibly also UA. Maybe that could be an option.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Hafnia

Thanks. As stupid as it may sound the main objektive for reaching gold one final time is the life time gold possibility (Im in my early 40ies) even if looks more and like this perk (LTG after 10 consequtive years regardless of age) will not be introduced.

As far as I can see if it’s only possible to buy (not convert) basic points and only when you are 15.000 left of achieving gold. Currently I can only buy extra points. Am I missing something?

I live temporarely in Amman. Expensive and time consuming to do a MR from here connecting to SK. AMM is served by LH, OS, MS and possibly also UA. Maybe that could be an option.
Correct with having to be within 15.000 points, but I believe you'd be allowed to buy the points, for points. So essentially converting them, but still only up to 15.000 basic points.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Converting points should be possible. Just go through the T&C it is hidden there.
I guess MS is the best option to earn points. MS gives 200% in F, A, P, C, D, Z and J while UA gives max. 150%. With LH and OS P (100%) and Z (150%) earn less than the 200% of MS' business class.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Converting points should be possible. Just go through the T&C it is hidden there.

I guess MS is the best option to earn points. MS gives 200% in F, A, P, C, D, Z and J while UA gives max. 150%. With LH and OS P (100%) and Z (150%) earn less than the 200% of MS' business class.
Thank you, very useful!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Thank you, very useful!
I guess another way of converting extra points to basic points is by bidding for an upgrade in an SK mileage run. By that, you're possibly spending only 350 EUR on a GO-ticket to ex-Scandinavia to PVG, SFO, MIA, LAX etc, but by putting in maximum bids, you could get upgraded to class Z and earn 12K basic points each way. But then there's always risk you won't get upgraded. And upgrades at check-in-counter won't change booking class.

There are many J-deals with MS out of CAI and TUN, but you'd have to stomach angled flat on most (if not all?) flights. Considering your proximity to CAI, one quite nice deal at the moment is CAI-IST-JFK with TK in J which should net about 18K points at about 1050 EUR ai.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by groovyfly
There are many J-deals with MS out of CAI and TUN, but you'd have to stomach angled flat on most (if not all?) flights. Considering your proximity to CAI, one quite nice deal at the moment is CAI-IST-JFK with TK in J which should net about 18K points at about 1050 EUR ai.
Thank you. Where are those J-deals with MS and TK advertised?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Doing a serach on Itamatrix, I found fares on MS in business AMM-CAI-BKK-CAI-AMM as low as JOD 1317. That should net you almost 20,000 points.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:33 am

Thank you. Where are those J-deals with MS and TK advertised?
I must have seen them advertised in the Premium Fare deals forum, but couldn't find them just now through a quick search.

But was able to replicate the CAI-JFK fare through ITA matrix, so that's the way forward
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I must have seen them advertised in the Premium Fare deals forum, but couldn't find them just now through a quick search.

But was able to replicate the CAI-JFK fare through ITA matrix, so that's the way forward
thank you! Yes, MS to JFK and BKK looks very interesting
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

AMM/CAI/NRT/CAI/AMM in biz in March (not sure about exact booking class) is selling at USD 2000 on egyptair.com. Do you think the cash/EB basic points ratio is a good deal? Any idea how many EB basic points that will give me?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:24 am

AMM/CAI/NRT/CAI/AMM in biz in March (not sure about exact booking class) is selling at USD 2000 on egyptair.com. Do you think the cash/EB basic points ratio is a good deal? Any idea how many EB basic points that will give me?

Seems that it books into S (economy) for the short legs, and Z (Business) for the long legs, which should net about 24000 points.

It looks like it's cheaper to book the tickets seperately, as it seems everything in EGP is cheap these days, so that's what I'd do. YMMV.

And then, there's MS business class. I haven't tried it, but angled flat on a 777 and dubious reviews doesn't sound that great when TK is selling a superior product at the same price. It yields 4000 points less, but supposedly a superior experience.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Seems that it books into S (economy) for the short legs, and Z (Business) for the long legs, which should net about 24000 points.

It looks like it's cheaper to book the tickets seperately, as it seems everything in EGP is cheap these days, so that's what I'd do. YMMV.

And then, there's MS business class. I haven't tried it, but angled flat on a 777 and dubious reviews doesn't sound that great when TK is selling a superior product at the same price. It yields 4000 points less, but supposedly a superior experience.
Thank you very much! Yes, business class AMM/CAI or vice versa is often not available. Im sure the TK product is much nicer but Im only in it for the points - and still not able to find those good TK deals out of AMM.
groovyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.