Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Using baggage allowance from a no-show?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD

Hi

We are a group of friends which in the near future will make an intra-Scandinavian SK-trip – with quite a lot of baggage including ski. And only one gold card.

So: As one of my friends will not go (and his cheap ticket is un-refundable) I am thinking of using his baggage allowance. Simple checking him in – and be sure the luggage is in my name.

We are all in one booking number.

Then there are two possibilities: 1) do nothing and wait till SAS realizes, that there is a no show. But could delay the plane (and me!). 2) The more polite: Tell the gate staff, that the person went home.

What do you think? Is this a possibility without making too much problems for anybody?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If it was me:

I would check him in, and then at bag drop find a counter with a staff that looks competent (they can vary a lot from what they know). Tell him that your friend has check-in but couldn't go because of 'an emergency' (provided that he is not filing for cancellation insurance, then you should be fine).

The only way SAS will find out that he doesn't go is when you all check-in online and he didn't do that.

I think you have a good chance of getting his seat + baggage allowance since you share a booking number.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: EBG, Skywards, Club Carlson Elite Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Then there are two possibilities: 1) do nothing and wait till SAS realizes, that there is a no show. But could delay the plane (and me!). 2) The more polite: Tell the gate staff, that the person went home.

What do you think? Is this a possibility without making too much problems for anybody?
There is only one option: When SAS finds out there is a no show with checked in bags they will hold the aircraft and unload the bags for security reasons. So not a good idea....
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I am fully aware, that a no show with checked baggage will have it removed.

But, my experience and theory is that the baggage doesn’t need to be connected to that passenger.

The baggage allowance is made up pure manually. The service agent counts “5 y tickets and 1 gold card. Mr., you can take 6 pieces”, which is put on my name/ticket number. And the others in the group of course 0. So has the case been, when I have been travelling with my family.

Am I right?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
I am fully aware, that a no show with checked baggage will have it removed.

But, my experience and theory is that the baggage doesn’t need to be connected to that passenger.

The baggage allowance is made up pure manually. The service agent counts “5 y tickets and 1 gold card. Mr., you can take 6 pieces”, which is put on my name/ticket number. And the others in the group of course 0. So has the case been, when I have been travelling with my family.

Am I right?
Based on my personal experience, it's always like this. Sometimes I have 5 baggage tag with my 5 yrs old's name on it. On our BPs too, 4 BP with 0kg and the rest have 85kg.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
+1. This is also my experience.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I can report, that the concept worked perfect! have just tried it twice.

I made sure, that the bagage was in my name and reported at the lounge/gate, that my friend couldn't reach the plane.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The agent has to do a group checkin, that way he/she can pool the allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.