Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award rookie need help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Award rookie need help

Hi, I am finally about to use some of all points i have collected over the years with SAS but need some expert help.
I want to got to Mexico and Canada and i understand from reading on this site that i might not be able to book an award ticket that connects me with both places, hence i was looking for a ticket similar to:
Jan 1/2 CPH-MEX/CUN
Jan 24/25 YYC-LHR
adn then to find a one-way ticket from Mexico to Canada.
Is it allowed to have different start/end on all legs? if not can i book return leg YYC-LHR-CPH to CPH instead and just not take last leg of LHR-CPH?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
I don't know SAS' rules specifically, but at least on United (my airline), you are allowed one stopover. So, you could in theory do something like CPH-LHR-YYC-(stopover)-CUN-(destination)-ORD-CPH.

Chris
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:11 am
Original Poster

I have spoken to SAS and they can offer a flight route of:
CPH-FRA-MEX
MEX-YYC (connect in Houston)
YYC-LHR

The cost of the flights (all econ as business was not available) would be 140,000points +£250.
I thought this sounded a bit expensive compared to booking all econ tickets without points (arround £1,100 in total for same legs as above)
So the value for my points would be around £60 per 10,000 miles
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am moving this to the SAS forum so that you can obtain more replies.

Markie - Co-Mod *A
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:33 am

Ask for AC routing both ways (YYZ)? Will keep your points down and take you all the way...
For the amount of points you are mentioning you should be able to travel in Business/AC Exec First all the way if you plan it smart.
Taxes seems reasonable however.
You can check AC availability on expertflyer.com, there is a free 5-day trial available.
Remember there is now a YYZ-CPH service available. I have two award legs for that flight coming up (Business), was easy to find availability.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Best i found is CPH-YYZ-MEX and YYC-LHR-CPH for 130,000 + £250 all business which is considerably better and i will then just find a one-way ticket separately for MEX-YYC as adding that as well in award ticket added another 100,000 points due to 3rd leg counting as one-way
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Frippe
Best i found is CPH-YYZ-MEX and YYC-LHR-CPH for 130,000 + £250 all business which is considerably better and i will then just find a one-way ticket separately for MEX-YYC as adding that as well in award ticket added another 100,000 points due to 3rd leg counting as one-way
Good - a general rule: never use EB points for eceonomy awards. Bad value.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:24 am

Congratulations, much better. Less points and you get to ride the AC Exec First cabin both ways which is great, especially if you travel alone (fishbone config). CPH will probably be 767 but if you can get the 777 on the LHR leg do try it, it has a self service bar.
Was it not possible to go all the all the way with a long stop over in Canada on the way back? You might want to call back, the zones system is very complex with north america and caribbean/central america and agents tend to give different answers. ANyways, great booking, good value for points but could be better still.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Spoke to two different agents, both had the same answer, it is possible to go all the way but given stopover is more than 24hrs and diff airports it will be charged as a new trip (one-way) and hence mile cost will run up high.
Decided in the end to go for award ticket CPH-EWR//YYC-LHR-CPH, and purchase ticket EWR-CUN//CUn-YYC as with the inbetween legs mexico/canada it ended up the same price and cheaper on points. Only Eco extra with SK first leg (will hope for a possible upgrade) + easier to find a good priced ticket EWR-CUN//CUN-YYC.
However will check once more with the agents to confirm if i can sneak in more routes or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.