Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS rejects halal rumors - Thought it was a joke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver

As reported by epn.dk earlier today (and posted here on FT) VG.no has posted an update:

SAS rejects halal rumors - Thought it was a joke.

Relax - you can still get meat pies and ham sandwiches when you fly with SAS.

Several - including SAS's information department - got their coffee down their wrong throat when they read this mornings NTB case that many of the world's largest airlines will only serve halal food in the near future. The case stemmed originally from the Financial Times, who writes that the world's largest independent supplier of air-plane food, Gate Gourmet, have plans to adapt the production of Muslim food.

I do not know what to say. I thought it was a joke when I looked at the matter, "said CIO Knut Morten Johansen of SAS to VG Nett.

"We are a Scandinavian airline. There should be reflected in what is served on board. I guarantee you in the future we will serve liver pate, bacon and red wine marinated pork with SAS," says Johansen.

According to the SAS manger this has had massive media coverage this morning and led Gate Gourmet to issued a clarification. The press release is not posted on the airline foods giant's website.

- Statements about a production that is adapted the halal tradition is as far as I know all about Gate Gourmet catering in London. We get our food delivered from the kitchen in Bergen and Oslo, and is not at all affected by this. We have a contract with Gate Gourmet, and they will continue to deliver what is specified in this," said Johansen.

From VG.no 14.Sep.2010

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.