Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Book Award Travel Messed Up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:22 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to query for an EB award trip, CPH-LHR, for two people. I know from recent past experience, and from the award chart, that it should cost 20,000 miles per roundtrip ticket per person in Econ or 25,000 in E+. So for two of us, roundtrip, it's 40,000 in Econ, 50,000 in E+.

Yet everytime I key it in for a weekend in September, it is telling me I need 21,000 miles per leg per person in Econ, or 84,000 total miles to book the flight for the two of us in Econ! (Also showing 28,000 per one-way per person in E+.)

Is anyone else having trouble trying to book an award trip for the proper number of miles?

Susan
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Since I burnt all my EB miles some time ago I cannot comment on the question as such but since I am feeling sad for the miles I have to ask, why redeem 50k miles for such a short segment, especially with so many flights a day and DY/U2/BA all competing on this route? If I were you I would save my miles for better value, even 5 hotel nights with Scandic is better value I think. Not to mention a TATL upgrade or a C-award to some higher priced place... Just my €0.02 but good luck with the booking anyway!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS
Since I burnt all my EB miles some time ago I cannot comment on the question as such but since I am feeling sad for the miles I have to ask, why redeem 50k miles for such a short segment, especially with so many flights a day and DY/U2/BA all competing on this route? If I were you I would save my miles for better value, even 5 hotel nights with Scandic is better value I think. Not to mention a TATL upgrade or a C-award to some higher priced place... Just my €0.02 but good luck with the booking anyway!
I follow you completely! Actually, we are considering just grabbing hotel awards, but I have a 4-day weekend coming up and the 50,000 miles expire at the end of September. So it was just an idea - my husband and I both enjoy London, and had even thought this time to just get a rental car at LHR and head out to the country for the long weekend (we've had two long weekends in London during the last 9 months).

We are also looking at using the hotel rewards as you suggest for a long weekend at a hotel on Bornholm since I've never been there, or another location in Denmark or Sweden that we can drive to, just to get away for a few days (suggestions welcome!).

I've even considered (gasp!) buying something from the webshop with the miles.

I would much prefer to use the miles for TATL upgrades, but we aren't traveling again until November and the miles will have expired by that time. Don't have enough for pre-confirmed * upgrades, so would only be able to try standby at gate, but they expire.

I'm still getting the odd error - it is insisting that I need 84,000 miles for two economy round-trip awards from CPH-LHR, even though I know I should get two E+ round-trip awards for 50,000.

Susan
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:13 pm

Are you sure you are searching on "award-flights only", and not the new "Book ordinary tickets for points"?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Discus
Are you sure you are searching on "award-flights only", and not the new "Book ordinary tickets for points"?
I logged into EuroBonus and clicked on "Bestil EuroBonus" and it showed me my miles balance when searching for flights. I didn't see an option for "award-flights only" vs. "book ordinary tickets for points" but assumed I was searching for award travel - similar to how I've done in the recent past.

I'll try again later (my out-dated work browser is stalling out on the site).

Thanks,
Susan
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Just an update in case anyone is interested. I've continued to try for days to book a EuroBonus trip to London, with the same result - it wanted 84,000 points for two people roundtrip in Economy (should be 40,000).

I could try any number of other city pairs, ie. CPH to AMS, ARN, BGO, OSL, GVA, etc. and get the correct number of miles. But no joy for LHR.

I finally called SAS and after walking through the booking process, the agent had the same problem. She even logged into my account to try it, and got the same result as I did, which baffled her. She put me on hold a while to talk to tech support, and finally came back and said it was reported as a glitch, and that she would book our award travel over the phone for no fee.

Susan
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: SK*Gold
If you're looking for suggestions for a long weekend, Gotland might work. A few years back I used my EB points from to go threre from Oslo (with a 50% reduction offer). There's a Scandic hotel in Visby and you could cycle or drive around the island.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: SK*Gold
Sorry, there's a Best Western in visby but no Scandic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.