Noob UA/SAS Online Check-in help!

Subscribe
As a long time reader of this forum, I finally signed up to tap into the vast expertise here. I tried a couple of searches and could not find the solution.

I booked a trip ABQ - CPH in business via the UAL site. The ORD - CPH leg is on SAS. It says on the UA site I need to check in for that leg on the SAS site, yet the reservation number United gave me does not work on the SAS site.

How do I check in online for the ORD - CPH leg? Do I need to just check in for the first leg, get my bag ticketed through, then get my boarding pass in Chicago?

any help much appreciated.

Hank
Answering my own question for future reference:

The UA site 'tried' to check me in, but along with my boarding pass came a note indicating I need to go to the SAS counter in ORD for my boarding pass.

Thanks

Hank
SAS systems are deeply incompetent and check-in is no exception. It is frequently impossible to get a boarding pass for an SAS flight even when checking in at a United counter. So, yes, you need to go to the SAS counter at ORD to get a board pass.

It is clear that the systems for UA and SK don't "speak" to each other well. Often, United agents are also confused by the lack of a boarding pass, so keep your expectations low. On the bright side, SAS long-haul flights have a nice business class set-up, so hopefully your in-flight experience will be better.
You need to get the SAS Amadeus PNR, which is different from the UA PNR. If you call UA then they can give it to you, or maybe you have to call SAS.

Good luck with calling SAS in the near future......

Oh, if you have the Amadeus PNR then you can stick it into www.checkmytrip.com and it will give you the United PNR, but that doesn't help in the reverse case. I guess this is one reason that I book with SAS but that is a mistake that I won't make again given the ash scenario.
I had the same problem flying CPH-LHR-SFO earlier in april. My united booking number (not amadeus) wasnt accepted as SAS web/machine check in, so I had to queue at CPH. After I got my boarding pass it then had the SAS booking code on it.

Edit: I dont think SAS uses the amadeus PNR, it has its own 5-letter code.
Quote: You need to get the SAS Amadeus PNR, which is different from the UA PNR. If you call UA then they can give it to you, or maybe you have to call SAS.

Good luck with calling SAS in the near future......

Oh, if you have the Amadeus PNR then you can stick it into www.checkmytrip.com and it will give you the United PNR, but that doesn't help in the reverse case. I guess this is one reason that I book with SAS but that is a mistake that I won't make again given the ash scenario.
Do you care to elaborate on the ash scenario part? SAS is one of few airlines that really went out of their way to try it's best to help and keep their stranded passengers updated both on their website and their fansite on FB!

On another note, logged on to checkmytrip should give you the booking reference on the SK leg as well.

/Chris
Quote: Do you care to elaborate on the ash scenario part? SAS is one of few airlines that really went out of their way to try it's best to help and keep their stranded passengers updated both on their website and their fansite on FB!

On another note, logged on to checkmytrip should give you the booking reference on the SK leg as well.

/Chris
My trip worked out well since I departed on Thursday.

The difference was that United allowed you to cancel and refund any bookings through April 23 whereas SK would only allow you to refund if the flight was actually cancelled. United always does this when there is bad weather or a crisis like now in Thailand.
Quote: I had the same problem flying CPH-LHR-SFO earlier in april. My united booking number (not amadeus) wasnt accepted as SAS web/machine check in, so I had to queue at CPH. After I got my boarding pass it then had the SAS booking code on it.

Edit: I dont think SAS uses the amadeus PNR, it has its own 5-letter code.
SAS has both the 5 digit code and Amadeus. If you buy from SAS USA on the phone then they give you the 6 digit code, but you'll see the 5 digit on the BP, for example.

In conclusion, if you buy from UA then you have to call SAS to get the other PNR. One can check in with the Amadeus (6 digit) PNR. Just did it yesterday.
I know CO bookings on SAS flights do not generate a PNR in Amadeus but rather only in the SAS in-house system.
Quote: SAS has both the 5 digit code and Amadeus. If you buy from SAS USA on the phone then they give you the 6 digit code, but you'll see the 5 digit on the BP, for example.

In conclusion, if you buy from UA then you have to call SAS to get the other PNR. One can check in with the Amadeus (6 digit) PNR. Just did it yesterday.
I reviewed an SK-issued boarding pass from last month -- for a UA-coded-SK-operated flight on a UA-issued ticket -- and it has two record locators printed on it. I hadn't noticed that before. Upon inquiring about it more recently, I found out that SK-retained staff at ORD had issues with the eticket and had to kick out paper tickets for it at least in part.
I just booked a ticket to ARN with LH connections.

UA provides the LH confirmation number (Amadeus) in the online itinerary. That's new and very helpful. Hopefully they do the same for SK.
Has anyone had recent success getting SK boarding passes printed out when checking-in at a UA station?

Mrs. Swede and kids are booked DEN-ORD-ARN (purchased through SK). Unfortunately, a schedule change on DEN-ORD only gives them 1h20m connection time. If they have to go to the SK desk in ORD to get their boarding pass, it would seriously jeopardize making their flight.

Could I use SK's on-line check-in to get their boarding passes for their ORD-ARN flight?
Quote: Has anyone had recent success getting SK boarding passes printed out when checking-in at a UA station?

Mrs. Swede and kids are booked DEN-ORD-ARN (purchased through SK). Unfortunately, a schedule change on DEN-ORD only gives them 1h20m connection time. If they have to go to the SK desk in ORD to get their boarding pass, it would seriously jeopardize making their flight.

Could I use SK's on-line check-in to get their boarding passes for their ORD-ARN flight?
I was in a real rush from a Lufthansa trans-atlantic to a (LH Codeshare) United Express in ORD on the 9th of May. - I got my boarding card printed for me at the cuonter where you re-check your luggage. They don't always do that for you but try talking to the agents behind the counter.

This is much easier than running to LH/UA/SK counters all over ORD.

(Of course, I still haven't tried to get SK boarding passes this way, only LH)
Isn't pseudoswede asking for a trip in the other direction compared to yours? I can't remember having any trouble ex-US this or the previous year getting the SK bp for second leg from UA when checking in at the desk for first leg (ps' scenario). On the other hand, SK seems to have trouble to deliver the UA bp to me ex-Scandinavia if I'm checking in far in advance of the UA flight.

If Mrs ps is traveling with a visa or under the vw program, I don't think you will be able to OLCI (but you can try at SK departure-22h).
Quote: Isn't pseudoswede asking for a trip in the other direction compared to yours? I can't remember having any trouble ex-US this or the previous year getting the SK bp for second leg from UA when checking in at the desk for first leg (ps' scenario). On the other hand, SK seems to have trouble to deliver the UA bp to me ex-Scandinavia if I'm checking in far in advance of the UA flight.

If Mrs ps is traveling with a visa or under the vw program, I don't think you will be able to OLCI (but you can try at SK departure-22h).
You're right. Sorry about that.