Wiki Posts
Search

Staying near the Civic Center

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by rjque
Funny, I look at that photo and I don't notice the homeless guy but I immediately notice the available parking spot.

which undoutebly would be taken when I arrive...

I wonder if I should just spend some time in Sacramento before driving back to San Francisco and spend the night someplace northeast of the city?

I got to post in the Community Forum to see if anyone is up for a mini-meet on my West Coast road trip.

--Russ
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:08 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Not the best location as others have stated. There are better choices around the city, but I think that having a car and finding parking would be challenging anywhere in downtown.

I would suggest the area around Van Ness or Chinatown/North Beach. For example, here's one that is much better than the Rodeway Inn and the location is really central:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

If you are going to priceline a property, do it close to the date of arrival because that way if hotels have a surplus they will try to dump it as quickly as possible - an unoccupied room is revenue lost and hotels want to avoid that at any cost.

If you don't mind commuting, there are very decent properties around the airport area, especially in Millbrae. Parking would not be such a big headache.

The Travelodge is within walking distance of Caltrain or Bart.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

Good luck and enjoy SF.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I wouldn't recommend staying outside of the City if you want to be in the City. I lived near 7th and Market for 3 years when it was a lot worse than it is now. For the "right price" I would stay around there, but only someplace where it made sense with car parking (i.e., I stayed at the Holiday Inn Civic Center some time ago, a few times, when I could leave my car there for free or a low price, with the rate). You are dealing more with seedy than really dangerous, as long as you avoid some of the Tenderloin streets, and a handful of SOMA blocks. Once you go up Van Ness, you are dealing with buses to get anywhere, and if you want a car to get around the more congested parts of SF, forget it. Parking can cost a fortune, if it is even available.

That Rodeway Inn is probably going to be noisy and not incredibly comfortable, but if you are the slightest bit "street smart" you should not have any issues. But the suggestions of others regarding other places to stay aren't bad (except my disagreement -which doesn't mean bad - that if you want to be in SF, don't stay outside of the central areas in the City.)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I lived near 7th and Market for 3 years when it was a lot worse than it is now.
Ah, a fellow "Tower" dweller . . .
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
As far as parking goes, on Gough or Franklin (parallel to van ness) you won't have much trouble finding a spot. Just make sure you're not violating any of the street cleaning (I think they're during the day on this side of Van Ness) or 2-hour parking signs (during the day only).
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:39 pm

I live in this neighborhood, and I often comment/ask friends how many times they think tourists fall for the 'Centrally located' benefit for hotels near Civic Center.

As others have said - the neighborhood is a little shady by day, a lot shady by night - to San Francisco standards. That said, most arguments, fights, and transactions just go on and don't usually involve unrelated parties.

Have you tried Kimtpon hotels? Sometimes they run some last minute deals on travelzoo or expedia for $100/night. If that is within budget.

Parking garage near the Enterprise facility is $25.00 night. Clean, safe.
If you park on the street, free after 6pm and Sundays generally.
Anywhere in the city, leave nothing - NOTHING in the car, regardless of value.

All that said, there are some GREAT hole in the wall restaurants in this neighborhood that you might never come across if you aren't staying around there.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

haven't tried Kimpton, but part of the reason for Roadway is tripple points promo.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerseyVics
haven't tried Kimpton, but part of the reason for Roadway is tripple points promo.
What will triple points get you? A free stay at the Roadway?

Kimpton is a great chain. Even the lowest end hotels are reliably nice and they can sometimes be very inexpensive.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

What will triple points get you? A free stay at the Roadway?
I typically try to redeem them for stays at Comfort, Quality, Clarion or Cambria, preferably in South Florida... although most of the time the nightly rate is low enough for me not to use the outrageous amount of points required.

--Russ
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:37 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Kimpton is a great chain. Even the lowest end hotels are reliably nice and they can sometimes be very inexpensive.
I find Kimpton to be hit or miss. One of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in in SF was at the Prescott.

I've had better luck with the jdv properties in SF.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
If I had to stay at this Rodeway to visit SF...

I wouldn't bother coming. That's how strongly I feel about the area. I have been meeting my writing group right near there for over 5 years and I HATE it at night especially. Lots of car vandalism, several street robberies - we always make sure to walk in groups and make sure each person gets to his/her car.

That said - what do you want to do while you're here? If you want to go to GG Park, outlying areas, there are safer guest houses near the park that are pleasant, and some have private baths.
http://www.campuslifeservices.ucsf.e.../lodging/beds/

Two others with shared baths:

Sauer's Guest House

10 Judah Street/5th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122-2520
Phone: (415) 661-3453
District: Inner Sunset / UCSF
Key: 4 units with shared bathrooms; private off-street parking; telephone in hallway and television in all rooms. Non-smokers preferred.
Rates: $75.24 and $83.22 for 3 persons, hotel tax included. No credit cards accepted.

stop nearby. No pets. No wheelchair access.
Access: Walking distance: 1 block to Parnassus. MUNI: On N-Judah train to Parnassus / China Basin 1 block to #6 Parnassus / Buchanan and 1 block to #43 Parnassus / Laurel Heights. 1 block to N-Judah train to Parnassus / China Basin

Whitt Guest House
1359 4th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94122
Phone: (925) 376-5875 for reservations only
Email: [email protected]
District: Inner Sunset / UCSF
Key: Four rooms with shared baths; kitchen privileges available.
Rates: $45 / $55 daily; $252 / $315 weekly; monthly rate based on $25 / $34 per day (single / double; tax included). No credit cards accepted.
Remarks: Non-smoking house; no candles. Half block to Parnassus campus; TV in living room. Shared kitchen and bathrooms. Wireless Internet available. House phone; calling cards and phone cards - local calls free.
Access: Walking distance: Half block to Parnassus campus.
MUNI: On N-Judah train to Parnassus / China Basin Half block to #6 to Parnassus / Buchanan and #43 to Parnassus / Laurel Heights
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you move? You don't want to stay near Civic Center. The neighborhood sucks.
No, it doesn't. East of the Civic Center is the Tenderloin. That does suck. West of the Civic Center is Hayes Valley, which most decidedly does not suck.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeeee
Is this the one?
http://www.rodewayinnsf.com/

That neighborhood as not as bad as right near civic center. It's more industrial. The question is how much tolerance do you have for graffiti, closed businesses and homeless people? It's not the safest neighborhood, but you can walk around there at night if you are aware and keep your eyes open. It's in Soma and there are some nice, relatively new loft-style condos on the side streets. I used to live in the area and would walk around at night. I used to live near 6th street which is MUCH sketchier. But, I grew up in NYC so I have a higher tolerance for grittiness than a lot of people. I see you're in the NY area so maybe you do too.
9th 1 block below Market is not a particularly pleasant area. It's mostly commercial, with a high number of homeless on Market and just below it.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
what would you guys recommend on a similar budget?
Not much available here on your budget quite honestly, but I still think you need to ditch that dump of a hotel.

If you really want to spend less than $100/night in San Francisco, I'd try one of the dives out by the beach; the Beach motel and a few others that will at least be clean and quiet and with few to no junkies hanging around.

Having said that, I think you should stretch your budget a bit to say $150/night, which may at least get something ok. If your budget is really super-tight, try to find a way to ditch the car and the associated hassles and expenses.

For $200/night you could stay at the Hyatt Embarcadero (on the weekends) or at the Harbor Court or a similar hotel. For $100/night, well...plan on a dump, the beach, or a shared bath.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by PTravel
9th 1 block below Market is not a particularly pleasant area. It's mostly commercial, with a high number of homeless on Market and just below it.
I was on assignment a few years ago, working at the Moscone Convention Center. My company put me up at the Stanford Court Hotel on Nob Hill while I was there. Then, I had to extend my stay at the last minute for four days and Corporate Travel could not find a hotel room in the City, the East Bay, or San Jose. I can't remember how I found it, but I was able to get a room at the Rodeway Inn. What a shock it was to go from Nob Hill to South of Market. In looking at the website, I had the room on the second floor by the stoplight. What I would do was look out the window until I saw the Muni coming and then pop downstairs to the bus stop and get to Moscone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.