Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get from SF to LA and then LA to SD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to get from SF to LA and then LA to SD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
SF to LA is usually 7 hours or so. Most busses make a single stop along the way at some fast food joint at one of the exits. The Coalinga exit is a common one that is used.
7 hours?! That's crazy!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ha, you beat me to it. Such a fun thread, may need a bump ...

EmailKid
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Did you notice in the last few posts, a reporter figured out how to make the entire journey from SF to LA? So, theoretically, the OP here could go from SF to SD all on public transit. Something on the order of three days. Brutal.

Wonder who would go with me...
lol! Awesome idea guys, but my budget isn't that tight! Since you guys have brought it to my attention, it will be something to consider as one of those "crazy" things that I have done in my life. I'll need to have a solid data connection on my iPad or Nexus 7 in order to try it.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Amtrak Starlight Coastal route is perpetually delayed and overpriced - also takes too long. Would never recommend this option unless you don't care about time and want to see the coast. However Amtrak is a good option between LA-SD and also OAK-Sacto.

Personally I would buy a cheapo fare on WN or perhaps B6 or VS if you time it right. Also cheap fares to/from San Diego if you don't require the stop in LA both directions. Time is money.

Airport security is not a hassle at all if you plan for offpeak dates/times. Much less of a hassle than trying to navigate your way around LA without a car rental. I would strongly recommend getting a car for LA or you will spend hours on public transit. Ditto for San Diego if you want to visit the zoo, etc. though downtown/gaslamp area is pretty easy to navigate on foot and very close to airport.

People come to California and expect public transit to be like London, Paris, Chicago, New York. It is NOT. Distances are too long (particularly in Socal) and sights are not all centered in a historic city center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.