Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Which side of plane to sit on to get best aerial pictures of SF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which side of plane to sit on to get best aerial pictures of SF?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, VS Red, BA Blue
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Palal
For SFO-LAX I would sit on the right. In my experience, most of the time the turn occurs before reaching the city, so you'll get a good view of the city from the plane.

Here's taking off from the 28s sitting on the right passing north of the city after the turn right over the GGB (fogged in)
Taking off from the 1s going to east, sitting on left
T/o from 1s going to LAX on a sunday morning, sitting on right

Basically if you're going east and taking off on the 1s, sit on the left. Otherwise, sit on the right.
Love your pics
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
One other possibility - If the winds are from the south, when a weather front is approaching, you will take off on 10R or 10L to the southwest and you won't see anything of the city.

But my own experience agrees with PTravel - take off on 1L, immediate left turn of about 30-40 degrees, and further left turns well before you reach the city. Here is a typical pattern from flightaware -

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL858

but you can put in just about any other SFO departure heading for southern Calif and see the same thing.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
I've probably flown this route a hundred times or more. Most times, LAX-bound planes turn left quite after take off. This is well before getting over the city. If you want to see any of the famous landmarks you would, therefore, have to sit on the right side of the plane. There have been a few very rare occasions when the left turn was delayed and we actually flew up to the tip of the peninsula before turning and got a spectacular view of SF from the left side. It all depends on what ATC is doing, but I really wouldn't count on seeing any of SF on takeoff.

ditto :-:
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a "best case" option for this - especially when headed to SoCal destinations - but you have to be lucky to get it.

There is a departure out of SFO unofficially known as the "Bay Tour" departure - however the only way you'll get it is if the pilot specifically requests it, and only on days with good weather over San Francisco and the bay.

Bay Tour departs from 1L, then turns left and follows the bay at a height of 3000ft. When you get to SF, it turns left and heads over the Golden Gate bridge before starting the climb up to normal altitude and turning to head (normally) south. As a result you get an amazing view of the city (and from only 3000 feet!) as well as the bay, the golden gate bridge, etc - mostly out the left-hand side of the plane.

I've been lucky enough to have been on flights taking this departure twice. The first time I lucked out and was in an A seat on the left-hand side. Since then, any flights I take to SoCal and even destinations to the north like Seattle I always sit on the left, just in case...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:48 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by PTravel
I've probably flown this route a hundred times or more. Most times, LAX-bound planes turn left quite after take off. This is well before getting over the city. If you want to see any of the famous landmarks you would, therefore, have to sit on the right side of the plane. There have been a few very rare occasions when the left turn was delayed and we actually flew up to the tip of the peninsula before turning and got a spectacular view of SF from the left side. It all depends on what ATC is doing, but I really wouldn't count on seeing any of SF on takeoff.
I know this is an old post, but I agree with this POV. The right side more often gets the best view SFO-LAX. It's true that you will see a lot of blue sky out the right due to left turns, but IME there are usually a few seconds between banks during which the plane flies straight. During those few seconds, if the sky is clear, you will have a great view of the City out the right side.

By contrast, the left side gets mostly Peninsula action. Pretty, but not so special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.