Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Russian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Russian Visa

I applied for my tourist Visa from Travisa. I didnt want to wait for my friend in Russia to send invitation so I went through travisa. Were they also suppose to send a invitation voucher or is there something on my visa that represents this?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kenny23692
I applied for my tourist Visa from Travisa. I didnt want to wait for my friend in Russia to send invitation so I went through travisa. Were they also suppose to send a invitation voucher or is there something on my visa that represents this?
I've never heard of that company. In any event, you should get a copy of your tourist voucher back with your visa.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS, BA-Gold
http://www.consulrussia.org/eng/visa...ml#TouristVisa

The official site from the Russian Consulate SF has 4 companies listed. I had downloaded the wrong visa app, got a phone call, downloaded the correct one and they took it by email. I hope to get everything back this week.

Last edited by chanp; Mar 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm Reason: adding
Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've never heard of that company. In any event, you should get a copy of your tourist voucher back with your visa.
No i never sent in a tourist voucher. They said they can create me one for a fee. I understand for me to get a tourist visa I would need like a hotel reservation but do I need that along with my Passport and visa to enter Russia?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by kenny23692
No i never sent in a tourist voucher. They said they can create me one for a fee. I understand for me to get a tourist visa I would need like a hotel reservation but do I need that along with my Passport and visa to enter Russia?
Places that sell you "invitations" also set up the "reservations" that back them up.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:19 pm

Russian Visa

This is my 6th trip to Russia and I have always used http://gotorussia.com/ for my invitation\visa. The laws change every time Igo. Last time I registered at the OVIR office for a couple of bucks. I get a tourist visa but I have an apartment in Russia with my wife. Sometimes I had to register at a hotel.

CD
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Places that sell you "invitations" also set up the "reservations" that back them up.
Right i know. But I guess for travisa you have to request they email/fax you the voucher back. So ya now im square away!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 4:52 pm

Was this the wrong application? I hope I haven't wasted time.

Also if you put together your own tour, what did you put down for "Russian institution or organization to be visited? and "Name and reference number of the tourist group"?

Thanks

Last edited by audio-nut; Mar 29, 2009 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Also if you put together your own tour, what did you put down for "Russian institution or organization to be visited? and "Name and reference number of the tourist group"?

Thanks
If you're a US citizen you need the form you linked to. As far as your invitation is concerned, you can't just go to Russia. You need to be invited. You can get an invitation for $20 or so from one of the visa processing agencies. The resultant document will assure the government that you have reserved and paid for your hotel, tours, etc. Of course, you never intend to go to said hotel, etc. and they are not expecting you to show up. Everyone knows this, but you need the document to get a visa. That is how the game is played.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:53 pm

If you're a US citizen you need the form you linked to. As far as your invitation is concerned, you can't just go to Russia. You need to be invited. You can get an invitation for $20 or so from one of the visa processing agencies. The resultant document will assure the government that you have reserved and paid for your hotel, tours, etc. Of course, you never intend to go to said hotel, etc. and they are not expecting you to show up. Everyone knows this, but you need the document to get a visa. That is how the game is played.
Thanks for the quick response xyzzy. I am a US citizen. I reserved my hotels (one in Moscow, one in St Pete) and they each faxed me a two page "Tourist Voucher" per person. Do I also need an invitation? Can you recommend a reputable place?

Last edited by audio-nut; Mar 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that those vouchers can serve as your invitation. IMHO it's better to pay $20 and pad the dates of your stay in case your plans change. If your visa expires you can not leave Russia without getting another one. Also, you can not stay in a hotel without a valid visa. I've used www.russia-visa.com a few times. It was (and from what I can tell still is) the cheapest place. I have no idea at all about your legal issue.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS, BA-Gold

Thanks
Not sure, but if u look at my post above, ive posted the correct one I believe.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: No Longer Anything

Thanks
I know it's been a few days since your question but here's my info: I just went to the consulate in DC (I work in the city) on Thursday and delivered my Russian visa application. You have the correct application. I left blank the "institution or organizaton being visited" and the "name and reference no. of tourist group." For itineray I just put tourist sites in Moscow. The app was accepted and my visa will be ready in about 10 days (the staffer was pretty vague). Was at the consulate less than 10 minutes. Took longer to go to/from my office!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:15 am

Hi, Can you help, I am going to Moscow Tuesday out of DC. Whats my best bet for a good currency exchange rate to rubels? Regards Ian.
Originally Posted by JenGal
I know it's been a few days since your question but here's my info: I just went to the consulate in DC (I work in the city) on Thursday and delivered my Russian visa application. You have the correct application. I left blank the "institution or organizaton being visited" and the "name and reference no. of tourist group." For itineray I just put tourist sites in Moscow. The app was accepted and my visa will be ready in about 10 days (the staffer was pretty vague). Was at the consulate less than 10 minutes. Took longer to go to/from my office!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kerso
Hi, Can you help, I am going to Moscow Tuesday out of DC. Whats my best bet for a good currency exchange rate to rubels? Regards Ian.
Find an ATM when you arrive. There are ATMs at SVO and DME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.