Search

Crimea will it cool down?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:56 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Crimea will it cool down?

I had plans to go to a festival there kazantip in august. Anyone care to guess what's going to happen? (I can go with no visa to russia because i am israeli)
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
They have a QandA forum here. the answers so far indicate that you can go there as if it were part of Russia.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The only issue I can see is that many airlines are not going to fly directly into Simferopol due to two air traffic control agencies claiming cntrol over the area. One news story on this is here. You may need to fly via Moscow.

Having said that, I loved Crimea. One of my favourite destinations there was Bakhchysarai, which I found fascinating -- particularly wandering the hills near the cave monastery outside of town.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:41 pm

I just wanted to add that after the OP flies to Simferopol from Moscow (the only air route as of today), he will have difficulties visiting Ukraine after that. Ukraine prohibits entering occupied territories through non-controlled (by Ukraine) points of entry. Plus, armed unidentified "self-defence" units are still roaming the Crimea (some of them are former Berkut and Alpha special forces members that served under ousted president), so I would not recommend to go there now. When Russia declare them outside of the law and bring in their own OMON, then it will be somewhat safer to travel there. Not this summer, obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.