Russian Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Russian Visa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Russian Visa

I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I am a natural-born US citizen. can anyone tell me if there is a SIMPLE way to obtain a Russian tourist visa - i.e. - recommendations based on your experince. I want to go to Moscow in October and before I book the trip, I'd like to know about obtaining a Visa. My internet search has been confusing, most notably this notion of a "sponsor" and who that might be? Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
There's a Russia forum that's probably better suited to answer this question.

In particular, though, take a look through this thread; things are about to get much better for US citizens beginning sometime in September, so it may be advisable to hold off until more details on the implementation of this new arrangement are made available.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As mentioned, this query is probably better suited for the experts in the Russia forum to address, so we'll move this thread accordingly. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
As mentioned, you may want to wait for details on the new rules. And you cannot even apply until 45 days before your arrival. As of right now the simplest way is to use a service like Visahq. Their DC office handled 5 visas for my visit last month. I had to full out the initial questionnaire online, which takes a lot of time (Russia asks for a ton of information). But from there just had to sign, attach the pictures, and they took care of the rest. Received email updates at each stage and the process was completed in a couple weeks.

The "sponsor" is usually your hotel or a tour company that will issue you the invitation letter. I stayed at the W St. Petersburg and they created the letters for me.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Things are about to get a lot easier!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/29...to-start-sept/
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by veeRob
Things are about to get a lot easier!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/29...to-start-sept/
Other than the removal of the silly 'invitation' requirement,I don't think the visa appliationin process is going to change much. The visa itself is going to last quite a bit longer, though.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dbuckho
As mentioned, you may want to wait for details on the new rules. And you cannot even apply until 45 days before your arrival. As of right now the simplest way is to use a service like Visahq. Their DC office handled 5 visas for my visit last month. I had to full out the initial questionnaire online, which takes a lot of time (Russia asks for a ton of information). But from there just had to sign, attach the pictures, and they took care of the rest. Received email updates at each stage and the process was completed in a couple weeks.

The "sponsor" is usually your hotel or a tour company that will issue you the invitation letter. I stayed at the W St. Petersburg and they created the letters for me.
I second VisaHQ suggestion. Two visas in two years through DC office both were a breeze. It takes some time to fill out an online application but then you can track the progress online and even reuse the information next time. They stay on top of things and e-mail you regarding the progress. Ironically, this June it took longer due to creating an "invitation" - they said that their Moscow office was slow in issuing those due to some bureaucracy with authorities.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
We are hoping to go to Russia in March. I see there's no longer an invitation requirement...does anyone know if the cost of the visa to Russia will be reduced?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
We are hoping to go to Russia in March. I see there's no longer an invitation requirement...does anyone know if the cost of the visa to Russia will be reduced?
yes fees were lowered. see new 3 yr visa Thread 3 yr fee is $180
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please follow the discussion in the NEW Russian more liberal Visa rules (Sep 2012) thread.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.