Wiki Posts
Search

St Petersburg to Samarkand Train

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QANTAS FF, SKYWARDS GOLD
St Petersburg to Samarkand Train

Wikitravel mentions a weekly train between St Petersburg & Samarkand (& vice versa) which is run by Uzbekistan Railways. Their website confirms it's existence but has no details as to standard of accommodation (it's a 5 day trip), dining car, intermediate stops etc.
Has anyone done the trip or know further details?
And yes, I have checked with Seat61 but Mark Smith has no details either.

Thanks

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:12 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Dans6362
Wikitravel mentions a weekly train between St Petersburg & Samarkand (& vice versa) which is run by Uzbekistan Railways. Their website confirms it's existence but has no details as to standard of accommodation (it's a 5 day trip), dining car, intermediate stops etc.
Has anyone done the trip or know further details?
And yes, I have checked with Seat61 but Mark Smith has no details either.
The system shows that that train has 3rd Class (bunk beds in a common carriage) ~223 USD & 2nd Class (4 beds/compartment) ~406 USD.

Route/Timing:
http://www.Poezda.net/en/train_timet...1569353%3A%C0+
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:39 am
Original Poster

St Petersburg to Samarkand

Thanks very much for this - especially the link.

I still wonder about the Restaurant Car - I've done the Bucharest/Istanbul trip without one but this is a lot longer. The actual price is pretty good though.

Cheers

Dave
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Most likely old soviet carriages, 3rd class = platzkart, 2nd class = coupé. I don't know if you can get cheaper prices by booking elsewhere. I would not count on using the restaurant car for your meals, although I do not know what uzbek railways offer as far as service.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:53 pm

Actually I think this train is overcrowded by "gastarbaiters" (season unqualified workers from Uzbekistan)..
Also police, customs etc pay more attention to these trains.

The price does not reflect the quality, it reflects only monopoly on this line.
Those workers usually have luggage much more than 20kg and have no other option.

I personally recommend to avoid this train and book a flight.

But I have never used this train of course I may exagerate a bit.
That's what I think.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:27 pm

Wikitravel mentions a weekly train between St Petersburg & Samarkand (& vice versa) which is run by Uzbekistan Railways.
Train 383А St Petersburg - Tashkent. Timetable (Russian only, sorry).

Rates for 3rd Feb. 2012:
2nd class - 12797,80 rub. (photos inside common old train: one, two)
3rd class - 7031,20 rub. (photo inside common old train)

Newer trains looks better, but I don't think Uzbekistan Railways have them...

And travel to some of the south former Soviet Republics by a train cold be extremely extremal by the reasons described above. My advise: book a flight.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:50 am
Original Poster

St Petersburg to Samarkand

I hear what you are saying re comfort & dangers of the route but it is an epic journey. Us train buffs LOVE long distance runs and at 5 days this one is only headed by the trans Siberian for journeys on the same train (hence the Silk Route ruled out).
The Uzbetistan Railways are importing Talgo Trains ex Spain which would be superb for this route but there is no information I can find on which routes they would be used or when they will be introduced.
I was hoping a backpacker or train buff might have done the trip and could share things like catering, security & general value for money.

Cheers
Dave
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Arrow Another board...

I hear what you are saying re comfort & dangers of the route but it is an epic journey. Us train buffs LOVE long distance runs and at 5 days ...I was hoping a backpacker or train buff might have done the trip and could share things like catering, security & general value for money.
I haven't looked at it in years, but the Thorn Tree section of Lonely Planet's web site had lots of reckless adventurism going on, and it might be a good source for such information.^
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Are there any sleeper Talgos? I fancy if there are any high-speed sleeper trains in the world?

Siemens proposed RZD to run sleeper Sapsans between Moscow and Sochi, but it looks like the proposition was declined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.