Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transfering at SVO, Belarus bound flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfering at SVO, Belarus bound flight

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
It seems this is going to be fixed soon.
Starting May 15 flights to/from Belarus will be operating from/to the international sections of Russian airports, and non-Russian and non-Belarus citizens will pass through passport control
Old May 5, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Great. Was considering flying belavia to a forbidden place.

How are the passengers separated? Presumably Belarus and RF citizens will show the border inspector their internal passport ( this should be sufficient I think)
Old May 8, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Yes, that's probably the case - RU and BY citizens will just have their IDs checked, while all other passengers will undergo the usual immigration procedure.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Thanks for the information, Temedar!

This is the Belavia news release (https://en.belavia.by/news/news/3697151/):

Flights to the airports of the Russian Federation are transferred to international terminals

Minsk National Airport and Belavia Airlines inform that from 00.00 on May 15, 2017 the technology of passenger services for those passengers who arrive from the Republic of Belarus to the Russian Federation is changing. All flights to Russian cities from domestic terminals will be transferred to international sectors of Russian airports. Border control of aircrafts and passengers who fly from Belarus and fly back will be carried out as well.

The technology of passenger services for those passengers who arrive from the Russian Federation does not change and border control will not be implemented in Minsk airport.

To pass through control the residents of the Republic of Belarus and the Russian Federation are required to show a document proving their identity, as well as a boarding pass confirming their arrival to or departure from the Republic of Belarus by the appropriate flight. The citizens of the above-mentioned countries pass through control by specially designated corridors.

Passengers traveling to the places of the Russian Federation in transit through Minsk National Airport will be required to show a document proving their identity, as well as a migration card, filled on arrival in the Republic of Belarus.

Minsk National Airport and Belavia Airlines make every effort to ensure a high level service and comfortable transit conditions through Minsk.
I wonder if that means that all passengers on flights between Russia and Belarus will have to go through Russian customs checks in addition to Russian immigration checks? (The Union State was meant to remove customs checks and barriers between the two countries) Or will they be able to bypass customs checks by using the 'specially designated corridors' referred to in the article?

It appears that there won't, however, be Belarusian border checks in MSQ for flights to/from Russia.

Edit: Here is the Aeroflot news release:

Information for passengers traveling to/from the Republic of Belarus

11 May 2017, Moscow – In accordance with a decision of the Russian Government, Aeroflot announces that flights to and from Minsk will be moved to the international sectors of Sheremetyevo airport.

The change will take effect at 3:00 a.m. on 15 May 2017.

-- Flights to Minsk will depart from the international sector of Sheremetyevo’s Terminal D.

-- Flights from Minsk will arrive at Sheremetyevo’s Terminal F.

Border control will not be conducted for citizens of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. Russian and Belarusian citizens should present a personal identification document and their boarding pass for entry into and departure from the Russian Federation. Passengers will be required to keep their boarding pass to enter the Russian Federation. Russian and Belarusian passengers will not have their passports stamped.

To pass through passport control, Russian and Belarusian citizens should use the passport control booths marked “For citizens of the Union State arriving from the Republic of Belarus”.

Passengers holding citizenship other than Russian or Belarusian and stateless passengers will proceed through passport control in accordance with the procedures of international terminals at Russian airports.

More information is available via Aeroflot’s Call center 24/7: +7 495 223 5555, 8-800-444-5555 (free in Russia) or the airline’s sales offices.
Does the penultimate sentence which I highlighted mean that foreign nationals will now be able to transit through the international terminal of a Russian airport (direct airside transit) to/from Belarus without a Russian transit visa?

Last edited by paul00; May 18, 2017 at 9:38 am
Old May 18, 2017, 10:28 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Belarusian TV channel CTV news story:

http://en.ctv.by/en/1494009564-russi...belarus-may-15

http://en.ctv.by/en/1494856103-russi...ational-sector
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:17 pm

Can anybody give me a quick update on this issue? are all SU flights now transiting in the international part of the terminal? Flight is from JFK-SVO-MSQ.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:31 pm

That's a big issue! To my mind, if you don't need a visa to go to the city during a stop-over in Russia, then it's not an option for you. But if you have to stay at the airport - then maybe this will work out. But then again... I'm not sure. I know there's a Telegram chat for such questions - Foreigners in Belarus Chat. JustArrived.by Try asking there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.