Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz Buckhead (Atlanta) closing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT

I was at the RC Buckhead, Atlanta earlier this week. I love staying at this Ritz given its surroundings -- nice restaurants, shopping, etc. Just found out during my recent stay that this property will be closing according to the employees. Furthermore, it will not be a Marriott-affiliated property. Therefore, only choice moving forward will be the Ritz in downtown ATL. Unfortunately, nothing much to do after business hours.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
I was at the RC Buckhead, Atlanta earlier this week. I love staying at this Ritz given its surroundings -- nice restaurants, shopping, etc. Just found out during my recent stay that this property will be closing according to the employees. Furthermore, it will not be a Marriott-affiliated property. Therefore, only choice moving forward will be the Ritz in downtown ATL. Unfortunately, nothing much to do after business hours.
If true, sad.....
Old May 27, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one website says rumors of sale
and hilton (curio/waldorf)
might be blackstone?

but marriott also has autograph, tribute, luxury collection
current owner is public company >
hosthotels.com/properties/domestic/georgia/the-ritz-carlton-buckhead

dont forget st regis buckhead
Old May 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Good article on the hotel's potential sale and reflagging: http://www.tonetoatl.com/2017/05/exc...ead-to-be.html

Excerpts from the article:

"The 510 room Ritz Buckhead is in dire need of room renovations, but the company has elected to instead dedicate its precious resources to renovation of other parts of the hotel. . . .

In 2012, the company spent nearly $4 million to renovate the lobby, ballrooms, meeting space, restrooms, fitness area and pool area. It was during this renovation that the hotel started to lose sight of its core clientele: older, educated, wealthy and classy individuals.

The hotel sold off much of its finest art and furniture and replaced it with cheap, generic alternatives that looked like they could have come from the home section of ROSS Dress For Less.
. . .
The hotel is currently in the midst of a restaurant and bar renovation that will reportedly cost about $5 million. The project, which continues the questionable moves made during the lobby renovations, will remove, among other things, the hugely popular and classic lobby fireplace."

- Atlanta Tomorrow's News Today
Old May 27, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

owner host has been selling hotels, and dropping luxury management even when renovating
Old May 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
What a pity! I haven't stayed there in a very long time, but I have very happy memories of the service at this hotel back near the end of the last century.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the owner is having financial and management difficulties.

However, did the Waldorf Astoria and Rosewood in Buckhead also close? There used to be quite a collection of luxury hotel choices for a suburban office area. Is the only remaining luxury choice the StR, which is fairly far from shopping and restaurants (except for the grocery store and wine store)?
Old May 27, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no difficulties, just choices, market is good for selling hotels

rosewood became MO in 2012 after being sold(auctioned) in 2010

construction hasnt even started yet >
atlanta.curbed.com/2016/12/15/13964442/waldorf-astoria-atlanta-residences-midtown-opus-place
While developers were at one point in discussions with Waldorf Astoria, these talks ended in June 2016
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I didn't know all the backstory but this seems a bit surprising in the sense that even though I agree the rooms are quite a bit out of date, demand seems to stay pretty strong. St. Regis seems to be full quite often and isn't walkable to most offices. I'm curious to see what takes its place.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It sounds like the owner is having financial and management difficulties.

However, did the Waldorf Astoria and Rosewood in Buckhead also close? There used to be quite a collection of luxury hotel choices for a suburban office area. Is the only remaining luxury choice the StR, which is fairly far from shopping and restaurants (except for the grocery store and wine store)?
I do not recall there ever being a Waldorf in Atlanta. If I'm not mistaken the Rosewood rebranded into the Mandarin Oriental.. The Hotel Niko turned into the Grand Hyatt. The Swissotel turned into the Westin.

I never thought ATL could support these brands. I thought it was strange that the four seasons built in midtown.

The city has always tried to market this area as the "Beverly Hills of the South" but it never took off.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, did the Waldorf Astoria and Rosewood in Buckhead also close?
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I do not recall there ever being a Waldorf in Atlanta.
There was an announcement that a Waldorf Astoria hotel would be incorporated within a new residential tower in Midtown but it was later announced this would not be the case.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:32 pm

UPDATE: The Ritz Buckhead will flip to "The Luxury Collection" property this fall

Confirmation came earlier today that the Ritz in Buckhead will be reglagged as "The Whitley," an independent hotel under Starwood (now Marriott's) The Luxury Collection umbrella. As of now there are no The Luxury Collection hotels in Atlanta although there is one under the "Autograph Collection" umbrella, "The Glenn Hotel" in downtown Atlanta.

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2017/09/The-Ritz-Carlton-Buckhead-To-Be-Reflagged-As-The-Whitley.html
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to Flyertalk & thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Welcome to Flyertalk & thanks for the update!

Cheers.
At least I'll get free breakfast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.