Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

7 extra hours is causing my rental rate to triple. help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum

DATES:
11/10/2017 10AM pick up
11/14/2017 5PM drop off

If I book with:
11/10/2017 10AM pick up
11/14/2017 10AM drop-off

I get $99 for the entire rental period

Enterprise
Car Rental
$47.04
Taxes & Fees
$51.94
Total Rental Price
$98.98

However, if I make it a 5PM drop-off
11/10/2017 10AM pick up
11/14/2017 5PM drop-off

the rate almost triples, bring the total rate to

Car Rental
$189.83
Taxes & Fees
$101.32
Total Rental Price
$291.15

Any idea on how I can rent that extra 7 hours without causing the rate to triple?

Can I "accidently" drop off the car late by 7 hours (and pay whatever the daily rate), or will that re-rate the entire rental period into a new rate?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:27 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

This is because you are getting a weekend rate for the 10AM pickup and return. When you have it until 5PM, the rate plan changes from weekend to weekly. You can just try to book for the 10AM pickup and return and hope that they just charge you for an extra day at the rate plan you booked under, but there are no guarantees on this.

Note that it's possible to get the price down to $91 with Alamo for the 10AM pickup and return (assuming you are a Costco member, which I think you are since the $98.98 Enterprise rate is the Costco rate).

For the 10AM pickup and return, the best I'm seeing right now is $231.03 with Dollar or Thrifty.

What you can try is to just ask the agent at the rental counter at pickup, "What happens if I need to keep the car an additional day? How much much extra would I be charged?" You can have a backup reservation somewhere else, just in case Enterprise is way higher than your backup res.

You can also book the best deal you can find and then track it using the link below. Rates often drop as the pickup date approaches, so the 10AM pickup and 5PM return may get closer to the 10AM/10AM rate over time. Nothing to lose by trying at least.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
makes a perfect sense. Thanks for that! Also signed up on the link. Hoping that it goes down!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You can also book the best deal you can find and then track it using the link below.
OP: Interested to know if you've tried modifying the rental again to see if the rate has gone down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.