Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Enterprise DNR list after disputing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
On Enterprise DNR list after disputing

I recently found out that I was on the Enterprise Do Not Rent list as a result of a dispute from a couple of years ago. A few questions:

1) Do all car rental companies share the same Do Not Rent list?
2) From what I understand, DNR lists follow driver's license numbers. If I get a new license, am I removed from the DNR list?
3) Are these DNR restrictions typically permanent?

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

They don't share DNR outside of their umbrella groups (Avis/Budget/Payless, Enterprise/National/Alamo, etc).

DNR can be as long as they want it to be. I suggest you reach out and try to resolve if you need to rent from them again.

It's more than just the DL#. Also tied to a unique set of info, such as name/DOB match. So getting a new license probably won't help.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Adelphos
as a result of a dispute
The answer to your questions may depend on the story behind this rather euphemistic phrase.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The answer to your questions may depend on the story behind this rather euphemistic phrase.
I would love to know the nature of a "dispute" that relegates one to a DNR list...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I don't know on what schedule the DNR list is cleared at Enterprise, but it would not surprise me if it were effectively never cleared. That said, your chances of asking to be removed from it are probably better if it was you disputing a $200 damage charge than if you incurred a DUI while driving.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I would love to know the nature of a "dispute" that relegates one to a DNR list...
LOL. I'm quite curious as well. That said, it is my understanding that any credit card dispute puts you at risk of being placed on the DNR list. It is always a good idea to exhaust every option for resolving a charge discrepancy via other means (customer service, executive contacts, etc.) before resorting to a credit card dispute. I see many people whose first reaction to a small price discrepancy is to dispute it and I always shake my head.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:41 pm

This isn't directly related to OP, but with Hertz, any form of credit card dispute will get you added to DNR. You can get off the DNR list by paying them the disputed amount. I can also assure you that Hertz DNR is just based on DL number.

I've heard Enterprise is based on license and phone number. I'm not 100% sure, but if you call them and offer to pay the disputed amount they may remove you.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I assume this is the reason that Enterprise does not want to rent to you. You hit another car and wouldn't pay for the damage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/renta...l#post25098570

Last edited by dickinson; Jun 29, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dickinson
I assume this is the reason that Enterprise does not want to rent to you. You hit another car and wouldn't pay for the damage.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/renta...l#post25098570
Interesting find. Well, I take it that it didn't end well for the OP, then--Enterprise (or their insurance company) sent him a bill and he refused to pay it. And now he's on the DNR list.

I harp it a lot around here, but if you don't have car insurance, buy a non-owner policy or purchase SLI. If you don't, this is what results.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting find. Well, I take it that it didn't end well for the OP, then--Enterprise (or their insurance company) sent him a bill and he refused to pay it. And now he's on the DNR list.

I harp it a lot around here, but if you don't have car insurance, buy a non-owner policy or purchase SLI. If you don't, this is what results.
I received a bill and "disputed" it with help from a lawyer. Enterprise stopped all communication after, which implies to me that they don't necessarily have a legal claim (or the amount they billed for wasn't worth it for them to pursue). I rarely rent cars, and it seems easy enough to take my business elsewhere - I was just wondering how long these restrictions last.

I looked for non-owner insurance after this incident, but most of the insurance available to me as an NYC resident was uneconomical - it would be better for me just to buy SLI when I rent cars
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:21 am

I've read that as well but in NY the minimum liability is around $10,000 excess of that the renter is responsible for assuming he didn't purchase SLI which is called supplemental liability insurance. It supplements the coverage that us already set forth unless you are renting in the state of California.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
I've read that as well but in NY the minimum liability is around $10,000 excess of that the renter is responsible for assuming he didn't purchase SLI which is called supplemental liability insurance. It supplements the coverage that us already set forth unless you are renting in the state of California.
The "minimum liability" issue is how I got into the dispute in the first place. It's not clear if this minimum liability actually covers the driver or not (or if it "covers" the rental company), and my web searches never found an answer. My understanding was that car rental customers were covered up to this minimum in every state. In my case, the claimed damages were well under the minimum liability coverage for the state I rented in.

From now on, I will get SLI as the minimum liability is far too low for comfort.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:31 am

The "minimum liability" issue is how I got into the dispute in the first place. It's not clear if this minimum liability actually covers the driver or not (or if it "covers" the rental company), and my web searches never found an answer. My understanding was that car rental customers were covered up to this minimum in every state. In my case, the claimed damages were well under the minimum liability coverage for the state I rented in.

From now on, I will get SLI as the minimum liability is far too low for comfort.
It covers you. Every car has to have liability no matter what. You can't own a car without one. In this case Enterprise holdings has liability on thag car. What they do is just pass the charges onto you. This goes with damage to the car as well. LDW is not insurance but waives your responsibility to pay for the damage up to a certain amount. SLI in the state of New York supplements the liability coverage for the driver. If they billed you that should be the excess of $10,000 dollars.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
SLI in the state of New York supplements the liability coverage for the driver. If they billed you that should be the excess of $10,000 dollars.
So let's say I rented a car in New York with a credit card with that covered rental car damage (like an Amex Gold/Platinum) and without any of my own car insurance. Assume I hit a parked car, causing $3,000 in damage to my rental and $3,000 in damage to the parked car. No injuries to anyone,

How much would I owe, and to whom?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let's say I rented a car in New York with a credit card with that covered rental car damage (like an Amex Gold/Platinum) and without any of my own car insurance. Assume I hit a parked car, causing $3,000 in damage to my rental and $3,000 in damage to the parked car. No injuries to anyone,

How much would I owe, and to whom?
You would owe $3,000 (plus loss of use, diminished value, administrative fees, etc.) to the rental company, which your credit card would reimburse (hopefully all, or at least most) you for.

The rental company would also owe $3,000 to the owner of the parked car you hit. However, nothing in any T&C prevents the rental company (or their insurer) from then sending you a bill for $3,000.

(In California, the rental company would owe nothing to the third party and the third party must pursue you directly to recover any damages.)

Yes, the official T&C and law in most states is that the rental company must provide (either primary or secondary, depending on the state) liability coverage for you, satisfying legal requirements that the car not be driven without insurance and proving to the state that a third party will be covered for injury/damage regardless of your ability to pay, but no law restricts them from coming after you to recover what they pay out. Purchasing SLI effectively eliminates the risk that they will try to come after you to recover their payout, since you have purchased a product from them with the clear intent to protect yourself from exposure. I have never once heard of someone purchasing SLI and then being billed by the rental company or their insurer for the amount that was paid out.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You would owe $3,000 (plus loss of use, diminished value, administrative fees, etc.) to the rental company, which your credit card would reimburse (hopefully all, or at least most) you for.

The rental company would also owe $3,000 to the owner of the parked car you hit. However, nothing in any T&C prevents the rental company (or their insurer) from then sending you a bill for $3,000.

(In California, the rental company would owe nothing to the third party and the third party must pursue you directly to recover any damages.)

Yes, the official T&C and law in most states is that the rental company must provide (either primary or secondary, depending on the state) liability coverage for you, satisfying legal requirements that the car not be driven without insurance and proving to the state that a third party will be covered for injury/damage regardless of your ability to pay, but no law restricts them from coming after you to recover what they pay out. Purchasing SLI effectively eliminates the risk that they will try to come after you to recover their payout, since you have purchased a product from them with the clear intent to protect yourself from exposure. I have never once heard of someone purchasing SLI and then being billed by the rental company or their insurer for the amount that was paid out.
If the OP were to rent from Avis/Budget using the AARP discount code after becoming a member of AARP, primary insurance coverage of 25/50/10 would be provided at no extra charge. Those under 50 can become "Associate" members of AARP for $12/year.

If the OP were to rent cars for a total of more than 12 or so days per year, then a non-owned-auto liability policy might be cost effective. For NYC residents, I think that Travelers Insurance offers the least expensive policy.

Edited to add:

I'm not sure if car-rental companies can go after renters in New York State for payouts made to third parties in amounts below the state minimums. Take a look at what Hertz has to say about liability coverage for rentals commencing in New York (and a handful of other states):

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RAGES&EOAG=LAX

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.