Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dollar - JFK or LGA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Dollar - JFK or LGA

We'll be spending a couple nights in NYC before picking up our rental car for two weeks. Dollar has the best rates at the moment. Is it better to pick up the car at JFK or LGA?

The return flight is from JFK, but there appears to be no one-way fee between the two.

Many thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:34 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Have you considered picking up the car in NYC and doing a one-way rental to JFK? It may be easier/less expensive. I live in NYC and that would be the first thing I would check.

If there is no difference in price and between JFK and LGA, you would want to pick up from LGA as it is much closer to the city than JFK. One thing to note is that LGA airport is a bit of a mess these days due to construction, but even accounting for that, it's still going to be faster/more convenient to pick up at LGA. If you take an Uber there (my recommendation), be sure to put in the Hertz office address since it's not near the main terminal area, and if you go into the airport proper and follow the signs, you're just going to waste a lot of time.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by AutoSlash; Apr 28, 2017 at 5:24 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Great thank you, this is very helpful!

I also looked at rentals from NYC, but prices, when booking from Germany, were about 180 EUR more expensive than those from one of the airports.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:27 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Alex71
Great thank you, this is very helpful!

I also looked at rentals from NYC, but prices, when booking from Germany, were about 180 EUR more expensive than those from one of the airports.
OK, then it sounds like airport pickup makes more sense. One other thing to consider is that you can take the subway/AirTrain to JFK from Manhattan. Getting to the car rental locations at LGA is not as convenient via public transportation. If you have a manageable about of luggage, then JFK via public transportation might be an option to consider.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:25 am

Just a note Dollar at LGA is not next to the airport like Hertz and Avis (they are near Terminal A). Dollar/Thrifty/Advantage is actually 45-01 20TH AVENUE ENTRY ON 46TH STREET BETWEEN 19TH AND 20TH AVENUE ASTORIA, NY UNITED STATES 11105

Check out a online Map and it is west of the airport and with a good livery driver may not be affected by the traffic and it is a much quicker trip to LGA then JFK.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
OK, then it sounds like airport pickup makes more sense. One other thing to consider is that you can take the subway/AirTrain to JFK from Manhattan. Getting to the car rental locations at LGA is not as convenient via public transportation. If you have a manageable about of luggage, then JFK via public transportation might be an option to consider.
I believe Dollar is on-airport at JFK, which means it's right at the Federal Circle AirTrain station. (Sister company Thrifty is offsite and requires a shuttle, last I checked.) E train+AirTrain or LIRR+AirTrain (depending where in Manhattan you are) would be my suggestion.

LGA is nice and reasonably quick if you have someone picking you up or use a cab/car service, but it's annoying getting there via public transit (though the newish express Q70 bus does make it a little better). Personally, I think getting to JFK is a bit less stressful...and that was before all the construction mess at LGA started.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks again, everyone!

I booked the rental with pick-up at LGA and return at JFK. The pick-up address is as Brighton Line stated. I did a quick Uber fare estimate from Manhattan to the LGA Dollar location. For four people, it will only be minimally more expensive that the subway and Airtrain would have been to JFK.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:58 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'd vote against using LGA for anything, except for dire emergencies for the time being. In 4 total trips, it's averaged me ~45 minutes to get from the airport to the rental car counter or reverse. Once it was over 75 minutes. The construction there has traffic FUBAR! I won't even fly to LGA if I'm not connecting, got the time being.

You might experience something different if you're not trying to get to the airport from the rental lot, but not worth the risk,IMO.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Dollar seems to be the furthest away from the airport. I read some news reports about the traffic situation at LGA, but it wasn't entirely clear how far the backup extends. There's also a subway station a mile away from the Dollar location. I think I might give it a try and see what the traffic situation is that day.

Last edited by Alex71; May 2, 2017 at 12:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.