Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Alamo Playing Hardball With No CDW w/Accident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC

I rented from Alamo last week at MCO. I have a Diners Club Card which provides primary collision coverage. When I didn't accept their CDW, they said that since FL is a no-fault state, they would have to file through my primary insurer (not sure what no-fault had to do with it, since I have rented numerous times with numerous renters and never had an issue with this). I guess you know how this turns out, I rear-ended somebody in TPA and swapped the car out there. Before they would let me take a different car, they charged my $500 collision deductible from my primary insurer, even though I wasn't going through them (though they will be involved with the person that I hit). The supervisor in TPA said that they don't work with Diners Club because it takes to long to settle, they will work through USAA.

Has anybody ever had an issue like this with Alamo? I had an accident in LAS with National and there was never an issue. Kind of funny that in MCO, they said it was because FL was a no-fault state, but at TPA, they said it was because DC took too long to settle.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Nov 13, 2016 at 8:34 am Reason: Changed to DC to Diners Club
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What is DC? Your whole post is really hard to understand because of this.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What is DC? Your whole post is really hard to understand because of this.
Sorry, Diners Club, I thought people on this forum usually knew that.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DC is generally the District of Columbia. Never heard of it referring to a credit card. But, thanks for the explanation.

As to Alamo, it is not play "hardball" at all. You declined the CDW and are on your own. Period. It actually has nothing to do with no-fault or Diners Club (and there is nobody working at a local car rental place who has a clue how insurance works, they just enter information into databases), it simply has to do with a corporate-level decision to pursue individuals and let them bear the burden of waiting out reimbursements.

Generally speaking, you are on the hook personally for 100% of the damage and may then collect from whatever insurance you may have. As a practical matter, Alamo processes the paperwork because it is more efficient and gets things done better and faster. But, if there are glitches, it won't be bothered as it was not here.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I rented from Alamo last week at MCO. I have a Diners Club Card which provides primary collision coverage. When I didn't accept their CDW, they said that since FL is a no-fault state, they would have to file through my primary insurer (not sure what no-fault had to do with it, since I have rented numerous times with numerous renters and never had an issue with this). I guess you know how this turns out, I rear-ended somebody in TPA and swapped the car out there. Before they would let me take a different car, they charged my $500 collision deductible from my primary insurer, even though I wasn't going through them (though they will be involved with the person that I hit). The supervisor in TPA said that they don't work with Diners Club because it takes to long to settle, they will work through USAA.

Has anybody ever had an issue like this with Alamo? I had an accident in LAS with National and there was never an issue. Kind of funny that in MCO, they said it was because FL was a no-fault state, but at TPA, they said it was because DC took too long to settle.
How did Alamo learn the name of your primary insurer?

Your challenge at this point will be to obtain the type of documentation that DC requires to pay out on your claim. Your primary insurer may have to supply DC with that material, assuming that Alamo has supplied it to your insurer.

Suggest you initiate a claim with DC immediately, letting them no what has transpired; and contact your auto insurance company too, to let them know that you have primary coverage with DC for the damage to the Alamo rental.

For the benefit of the other posters: Historically, the standard abbreviations for credit cards were AX, CB, DC, MC, and VA.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sorry, didn't realize Diner's Club was still in existence.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sorry, didn't realize Diner's Club was still in existence.

Back on topic, to the OP I see 2 things amiss here.

1) Most people who use Alamo, skips the counter. Why didn't you?

2) I agree with another poster. How did Alamo come to possess your personal insurance information? I've rented from Alamo multiple times in Florida and never received a speech when declining their insurance.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How did Alamo learn the name of your primary insurer?

Your challenge at this point will be to obtain the type of documentation that DC requires to pay out on your claim. Your primary insurer may have to supply DC with that material, assuming that Alamo has supplied it to your insurer.

Suggest you initiate a claim with DC immediately, letting them no what has transpired; and contact your auto insurance company too, to let them know that you have primary coverage with DC for the damage to the Alamo rental.

For the benefit of the other posters: Historically, the standard abbreviations for credit cards were AX, CB, DC, MC, and VA.
They made me give my insurer name when I filled out the damage report. They wouldn't give me another car until I did. I have already started the process with Diners, I actually called them first. I also explained to USAA what was going on. I was really wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Back on topic, to the OP I see 2 things amiss here.

1) Most people who use Alamo, skips the counter. Why didn't you?

2) I agree with another poster. How did Alamo come to possess your personal insurance information? I've rented from Alamo multiple times in Florida and never received a speech when declining their insurance.
1) I don't know, for some reason I never joined their club. I am in everyone else's.

2) They made we when they filled out the report or I wouldn't get another car. I guess that I could have declined and rented with someone else. I had never received a speech either--until now. The agent was probably pissed that she wasn't getting a commission on the LDW charge.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I recently rented from an Alamo US location that does not offer "skip the counter." I've rented there many times before.

This time, when I declined all of the coverages, they wanted my insurance information. I too have a card that provides for primary damage coverage and when I noted that to the employee he said, "I see that, I will notate that, but I still need to know your insurer and your deductible."

I told him as this is something Enterprise often asks and I know they cross employees, but it was the first time I was asked for this information at Alamo anywhere, and like I said, I have rented from this location many times before.

I would agree to file a claim with the credit card company immediately. Make it clear to your auto insurer that the damage to the rental vehicle will be charged through the credit card coverage but the damage to the other car, liability, etc. can go through their claims process.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I recently rented from an Alamo US location that does not offer "skip the counter."

This time, when I declined all of the coverages, they wanted my insurance information. I too have a card that provides for primary damage coverage and when I noted that to the employee he said, "I see that, I will notate that, but I still need to know your insurer and your deductible."

I told him as this is something Enterprise often asks and I know they cross employees, but it was the first time I was asked for this information at Alamo anywhere, and like I said, I have rented from this location many times before.

I would agree to file a claim with the credit card company immediately. Make it clear to your auto insurer that the damage to the rental vehicle will be charged through the credit card coverage but the damage to the other car, liability, etc. can go through their claims process.
Sounds like what happened to me. A funny thing is that Saturday I rented from Enterprise at the same location and they didn't say anything about the insurance. I explained my situation to USAA as you stated above and Diners has most of the paperwork that they need. I will follow up with all this week.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by storewanderer

This time, when I declined all of the coverages, they wanted my insurance information.
This happened to me twice in the past year, once with a Hertz Local Edition and again at a Dollar airport location. I assumed in both cases that it was just part of the hard sell they make for supplemental insurance, but on the final rental record both noted the name of the insurer I told them at the counter in the "other remarks" section of the document. Good to know that they may use that information to try to circumvent a credit card's primary CDW coverage...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not everyone who rents a car has personal auto insurance. Unless you were renting in a state -- like California -- where renters must have liability coverage, would these car-rental companies have refused to rent to a person who did not have a personal auto liability policy?

I note that some organization/association discount codes provide at least minimal primary third-party liability coverage when renting at participating locations.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Primary third-party liability insurance for USAA members using the USAA discount code at participating Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz locations:

http://themilitaryfrequentflyer.boar...iability-usaa/
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zdcatc12

Collision insurance from a credit card is only good when nobody else is involved. I've used Diners Club collision insurance when I hit a deer with a rented SUV on a lonely road after dusk in Grand Teton NP. I used Diners Club collision insurance when I scraped a construction barrier alongside a freeway once while exiting IAD airport. What these incidents have in common is that there was no other party involved (the deer ran off, it may or may not have died afterwards, but not in the road where I hit it).

But since you rear-ended another car, full insurance (not just collision) presumably has to get involved.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:30 pm

wow, we are going to be renting a car from MCO and it seems like we should not rent from Alamo since they require you to pay for CDW and supply your personal car insurance info?

My credit card provides primary coverage so I have no reason to buy their CDW.

Wow collision coverage is ONLY GOOD when no one is involved? I thought and have been reading numerous blogs of how coverage from your card will save you money in case of an accident and how you don't have to get your personal auto insurance involved for risk of future rate increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.